Home

Ideas for better Player Progression

This is a discussion on Ideas for better Player Progression within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Ideas for better Player Progression

Use NFL Head Coach's unbelievably, wonderous, awe-inspiring formula for progression.

Undoubtedly the best progression I've experienced in any sports game.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Use NFL Head Coach's unbelievably, wonderous, awe-inspiring formula for progression.

You have a PAL version of HC over there??
Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #11
All Star

Nah. I have ps3 and ordered the CE from America. Thank god ps3 is region free.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Nah. I have ps3 and ordered the CE from America. Thank god ps3 is region free.

Your're lucky then. Having a PAL 360 sucks big time, if you're into American sports
Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 7

I think what should be done from progression is to take CPU interpretation completely out of it. I propose a set of user (or CPU controlled if you choose) goals for each individual player. I'll explain.

Like NBA 2K8 I think every player on the team should be assigned a role. Now those roles can vary from position to position, and experience level. Also taken into account are the amout of snaps the player realistically has the chance to take. Here is a few quick examples of what I mean:

QB:
Player Type: Franchise QB
Player Goals: Lead team to playoffs, have QB Rating over 90, have a 2:1 TD to INT ratio, etc

Player Type: Rookie QB
Player Goals: Do not turn the ball over 15+ times in a season, improve overall team record, have 5 diff receivers with 10 catches in a season

Moving on... At the beginning of every season the user will look through his roster and look at each individual player. Once a user selects a player he has the option of which player type he would like to use from the options given.

The way my system would work is that the more goals a player reaches, the more that player progresses and vice versa. This system would also be able to identify busts and gems quicker, depending on goals and player.

In addition, a player can hurt or help his cause for progression by the player type selected. For example: Tom Brady will not improve or progress (anywhere near as much) if he is selected as a Backup QB role or NFL Starter QB since those roles are clearly below him.

On the flip side, a player can have an added boost if he is given a role that may not suit him coming into the season. For instance: Think back to before the start of last season, and think Derek Anderson. If you started the season and had assigned him a Franchise QB role instead of the Backup QB he should've gotten, his rate of progression would be increased greatly over what they would've been had he completed his goals as a backup. This way, a late round pick can become a stud if you give him enough playing time and a suitable role.

Anyway, that's just my idea for progression. I think it would also add a little interest to franchise by giving yourself some goals to reach, as well as a guide to seeing which players aren't cutting it for you team. If you have any questions or comments feel free to post, I'm sure I forgot something or didn't cover something.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
All Star

seriously head coach has progression right.

There's the vaunted potential system.

Players can go beyond their potential if they have consistently amazing stats and touches.

Players progress due to stats and touches in the season and practice.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:

Would you be able to explain how that works or link me to somewhere that explains it?

I'm interested, all I know if that players have an OVR and Potential rating and some of it depends on how well the player understands the playbook right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
All Star

Hmm its a quite complex and tough to explain but i'll give it a go. Lets use a rookie Wide Receiver from the 201x draft.

Now this rookie is given a 93 potential in your system. Right now that doesn't mean much to you since you haven't played the game.

Lets say he comes out of college with 80 catching but theres it says he has a potential max of 95 for catching. To advance to 81 catching this rookie needs to gain 1000 points.

He can gain points in 2 ways. IN training, he will gain boosts according to the skill level of the his Offensive Coordinator/Head coach. Since this does not apply to madden, disregard it.

But during the game, for each reception he earns he gains 50 points. And for each touchdown reception he earns 100 points towards catching.

Once he gets 1000 points, his catching will increase to 81.

Everything he does in game contributes to points for various categories.

Thus the better he plays, the more points he receives due to receptions, tds, yac and etc.

Thus this rewards players for doing well in the season. He will gain points for a particular stat until he reaches his maximum potential for it. For example, Chad Pennington has a max throw power of 80 and no matter how well he does he won't improve.

I'm not sure about regression yet. Hope that vague explanation helps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »