Home

To Phil, I just want to say...

This is a discussion on To Phil, I just want to say... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #25
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: To Phil, I just want to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankido
Look at that, moderator calling members idiots for venting and expressing their feelings about a game. Way to lead by example buddy. BTW.. just because people express frustration over a game that's broken doesn't mean the website will become garbage.
Moderator?

Blue doesn't mean your a moderator.

By the way, it's how you express your frustration over a video game, not saying you can't express it.

I really don't see CB calling anyone out, he just stated don't be one, correct?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Moderator?

Blue doesn't mean your a moderator.
It doesn't? Darn...and I was getting all excited too...

Greens are mods, but I think some of the confusion here is stemming from the fact CB used to be a mod.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #27
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14

The problem is we all express our feelings and I've done it many times. When I comment about a game that's not complete and unplayable that this is ridiculous and EA has subjected themselves to being garbage for this type of product. I end up getting an infraction. We obviously know NFL2K5 was one of the most amazing football games on the planet. When we even say NFL2K5 we get an infraction. The whole point is, we're helping Ian and the devepment team to use some of the features that NFL2K has. Of course we get an infraction. No matter what we do, we get an infraction. That's why some people questioned OS if they were funded by EA. Guess what happened to that thread? Yup, closed!

So if I'm an idiot for expressing my feelings about Madden and wishing for a greater and better title then I guess we're all idiots.

I've received an infraction and warning from CB. I'm glad they are doing their job but it's a little over kill.

Last edited by Ankido; 09-19-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Look at that, moderator calling members idiots for venting and expressing their feelings about a game. Way to lead by example buddy. BTW.. just because people express frustration over a game that's broken doesn't mean the website will become garbage.
he wasn't venting or expressing general feelings, he was trolling. He was posting for pure fact of trying to bait someone into a pissing match with him.

And I never said that people venting frustration would mean this website would become like some of the others. What I said is that if you don't cut out the nonsense, then you get websites and forums like the one the OP of this thread was talking about, thats it.

You stated that people are afraid to post their feelings in fear of getting an infraction which is absurd in my opinion. This forum is more negative than positive, just look around. If mods were handing out infractions for everyone that made a negative comment, then I don't think there would be a single person left in this forum. All one has to do is follow the TOS when venting, and vent their frustration in a mature manner, thats it. For some people unfortunately, thats a tall task.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #29
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
The problem is we all express our feelings and I've done it many times. When I comment about a game that's not complete and unplayable that this is ridiculous and EA has subjected themselves to being garbage for this type of product. I end up getting an infraction. We obviously know NFL2K5 was one of the most amazing football games on the planet. When we even say NFL2K5 we get an infraction. The whole point is, we're helping Ian and the devepment team to use some of the features that NFL2K has. Of course we get an infraction. No matter what we do, we get an infraction. That's why some people questioned OS if they were funded by EA. Guess what happened to that thread? Yup, closed!

So if I'm an idiot for expressing my feelings about Madden and wishing for a greater and better title then I guess we're all idiots.

I've received an infraction and warning from CB. I'm glad they are doing their job but it's a little over kill.

How many infractions do you have? After you answer that, how many "negative" or "vent" posts have you created?

And as always, if you have an issue with a mod, PM another mod or Fishepa the forum administrator and discuss it with them.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #30
Pro

Ankido's Arena

Trolling -

:Messages intended solely to annoy and/or offend other users by going against the clear nature of a board, topic or chat room

:To deliberately post false or controversial messages to gain attention for the sake of attention

eliberately posting false information in order to elicit responses from people who really want to help. A typical response might be, "No, Bart Simpson was NOT one of our founding fathers."

Not once have I trolled the forums. I run around topics stating my opinion and how I feel about the game. I've also compared NFL2K5 to the madden series in hope that content from NFL2K is written into Madden for more enjoyment. I've gotten an infraction for posting about NFL2K when I was clearly comparing the two and what needs to be done. Of course I was labeled a troll. I think you guys abuse the word troll and don't understand the real meaning behind it. A lot of people vent and express their emotions about the video game they love. They are considered trolls and thus receive an infraction. I've moderated forums for over 10 years and ran two of them myself. I know what trolling means and how it works. We are clearly being told what to say and how to say it. I'm not starting an arguement because you make valid points about some of the members being stupid. Not once have we attacked developers. I believe most of us, better yet all of us appreciate the developers coming here and allowing the community to help build a football franchise that's pretty much going down hill.

For the record, I would probably get a infraction for saying Madden is going down hill. I guess it's not constructive criticism. The truth is in our face, how are we suppose to rephrase that sentence? I also believe that many of us are angry about the license since our options are not open. Congratulations to EA for what they've done with NBA Live. I was a NBA2K fan until I saw what kind of improvements they made in Live and now I've jumped ship. When we're given that option, it makes decision making much easier for us because we compare to the two. When there's only one company making ONE game, most of us are pissed because it's broken and there's nowhere else to go accept suffer with Madden.

Once again, you mods do a great job and I don't see anything here that's like the EA forums. I believe most of us are professional yet we still express strong emotions that could be considered a TOS. Let it go, we're only human.

Quote:
How many infractions do you have? After you answer that, how many "negative" or "vent" posts have you created?
3 Infractions, 1 warning and 1 final warning. I've never ever created a topic venting about anything. I've always chimed in on other topics to give my opinion. As for topic creation, I've joined OS since July 2003 and created 5. I had a thread on how to use the run game in madden 09 but I guess it was deleted. It was a useful but I don't know why it was deleted. Other then that, I have a clean slate except for 1 infraction where I called someone an idiot but I was the idiot for doing that. I'm clean as a whistle.

Last edited by Ankido; 09-19-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #31
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Trolling -

:Messages intended solely to annoy and/or offend other users by going against the clear nature of a board, topic or chat room

:To deliberately post false or controversial messages to gain attention for the sake of attention

eliberately posting false information in order to elicit responses from people who really want to help. A typical response might be, "No, Bart Simpson was NOT one of our founding fathers."

Not once have I trolled the forums. I run around topics stating my opinion and how I feel about the game. I've also compared NFL2K5 to the madden series in hope that content from NFL2K is written into Madden for more enjoyment. I've gotten an infraction for posting about NFL2K when I was clearly comparing the two and what needs to be done. Of course I was labeled a troll. I think you guys abuse the word troll and don't understand the real meaning behind it. A lot of people vent and express their emotions about the video game they love. They are considered trolls and thus receive an infraction. I've moderated forums for over 10 years and ran two of them myself. I know what trolling means and how it works. We are clearly being told what to say and how to say it. I'm not starting an arguement because you make valid points about some of the members being stupid. Not once have we attacked developers. I believe most of us, better yet all of us appreciate the developers coming here and allowing the community to help build a football franchise that's pretty much going down hill.

For the record, I would probably get a infraction for saying Madden is going down hill. I guess it's not constructive criticism. The truth is in our face, how are we suppose to rephrase that sentence? I also believe that many of us are angry about the license since our options are not open. Congratulations to EA for what they've done with NBA Live. I was a NBA2K fan until I saw what kind of improvements they made in Live and now I've jumped ship. When we're given that option, it makes decision making much easier for us because we compare to the two. When there's only one company making ONE game, most of us are pissed because it's broken and there's nowhere else to go accept suffer with Madden.

Once again, you mods do a great job and I don't see anything here that's like the EA forums. I believe most of us are professional yet we still express strong emotions that could be considered a TOS. Let it go, we're only human.
You make some good points, but I think the problem comes down to balance. Yes, the majority of people who post on here are reasonable (particularly in comparison to other forums), but there are still plenty who are just plain rediculous. Sometimes you have to play it safe when it comes to this stuff. It's not that any negative post is an infraction waiting to happen, it's the escalation that invariably comes with it. It's a matter of degree. I think the mods, generally speaking, have decided to cut the issue at the root rather than wait for h*ll to break loose from certain things. I would agree that some have gotten a bit sensative overall, but again, who's fault is that? There is a reason they come off as jumpy...some of the persistant negativity has forced them to be so, IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #32
Pro

Ankido's Arena

I agree you with, I would never want to be in Phil's or Ian's position being blasted by players when all they're doing is trying to help. Sometimes you need hardcore criticism to turn the ship around. You can't be soft with people gotta let them know how you really feel. Now that they know, I'm sure they will do whatever they can to turn this franchise around. I could almost bet the ranting is pretty much stopped. The games out, people played it and we're done venting about it. Now it's time to blast Ian on the patches. J/K man lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »