Home

PS3 v. XBOX360

This is a discussion on PS3 v. XBOX360 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: PS3 v. XBOX360

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
i prefer the ps3 version. i don't care for the 360's controller, and imo, the 360 version isn't as smooth as the ps3 version. i seem to notice more stutters in the animations when i play it on the 360.

My brother bought the 360 version while I bought the PS3 version. I have to agree, the PS3 is alot smoother IMO, there seems to be a delay between the controller and screen when playing on 360 (even on the menus), there's no delay on the PS3. I really didn't pay attention to the graphics, but gameplay wise, I'd say the PS3 is better
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven123
My brother bought the 360 version while I bought the PS3 version. I have to agree, the PS3 is alot smoother IMO, there seems to be a delay between the controller and screen when playing on 360 (even on the menus), there's no delay on the PS3. I really didn't pay attention to the graphics, but gameplay wise, I'd say the PS3 is better
I agree there is a delay on the menus, but I think its much tighter in game. It could be those horrible analog sticks on the PS3 controller though. That alone makes me prefer the 360 version, I find it much easier to weave into holes and make user plays on defense because of the stiffer analogs.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

I wondered this too about which one had better graphics even for other games and found this article by a Developer.
Quote:
Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.
Short answer: XBOX 360.
Long answer: Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.
Price: This is obvious; the XBOX 360 core is only $299. The PS3 is around $499 for the 20GB version. It comes with a hard drive, but you don’t need a hard drive to enjoy a lot of great games on the 360 so I think it’s fair to compare both core systems.
Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it’s quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU’s the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU’s on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t, but I don’t think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I can’t get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven123
No way in the world is the PS3 version "smoother". Way more lag and awkward delay in the ps3 and the graphics are noticeably better on the 360. Play both alot as I own both systems and hands down if I had to choose the 360 IS better. But not enough difference to go crazy.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virix
Well, it depends on the TV again. If it supports 720p, then you should be ok. Some people prefer 1080i to 720p, but its still decent looking. If it doesnt support 720p, the PS3 will knock it down to 480p (because it cant upscale to 1080i), while the 360 will display it at 1080i which will be a huge step down.
Ah I see what you mean...

My TV supports 1080i...so I set the PS3 to 1081i and it looked jacked up, cuzit was running at 480p. So I set the ps3 to 720p. To my undetailed eye, it looks just as sharp as my xbox360.

So I'm happy with the PS3. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #30
Rookie

Rekkapryde's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB215
No way in the world is the PS3 version "smoother". Way more lag and awkward delay in the ps3 and the graphics are noticeably better on the 360. Play both alot as I own both systems and hands down if I had to choose the 360 IS better. But not enough difference to go crazy.
If the guy notices that the PS3 version is smoother to him, how can you refute that?

I own both as well and to me, there is no real difference other than the 360 being able to upscale to 1080p. I prefer the Sony controller though.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #31
Rookie

Rekkapryde's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph W.
I wondered this too about which one had better graphics even for other games and found this article by a Developer.
It still goes boils down to programming. Those who know how to program well for the PS3 don't have issues. It's apparent the 360 is easier to program for since it's the same as pc programming, but although the 360's gpu is stronger than the PS3s, The PS3s gpu/cell combo is helluva lot stronger than the 360's total package.

Not trying to flaimbait, but the PS3s hardware is stronger overall than the 360. You're not going to see major differences between the PS3/360 versions due to EA not wanting to have one look clearly better than the other. You can't lose with either though.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »