Home

Under/Over Defenses

This is a discussion on Under/Over Defenses within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
Under/Over Defenses

I have recently had a whole new world open for me via using under and over defenses in the 4-3. I use the colts and have always fretted about the lack of a 46 defense in their playbook, but I am sim so I have kept trying to stop the run with a plain 'ol 4-3.

I had always stayed away from the over/under plays because I felt it "tipped your hand" as to what you were planning on doing, but I have found that the over and under are great for stopping unbalanced formations (such as the I) that people use for power running. There are also some nice zone plays in there to get some picks with as well.

Like most things I post, I am sure someone will say "Well, Duh!", but I really don't think this is common knowledge as I am sure many people had the same fears as I did about showing their hand or committing too much to one side. Spread the knowledge, save the world
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Under/Over Defenses

I run all of the 4-3 defenses and sit in cover 3 most of the game. I back my corners and FS up and manually bring my strong safety into the box.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWilliamson
I run all of the 4-3 defenses and sit in cover 3 most of the game. I back my corners and FS up and manually bring my strong safety into the box.
I use all three 3-4 defenses and favor cover 3 myself. I really miss being able to press and drop back each corner individually though.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 09-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

I have never had much luck with cover 3, not enough pressure up the middle...

especially since everyone runs I form all game
Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
I have never had much luck with cover 3, not enough pressure up the middle...

especially since everyone runs I form all game
I think it's a personnel thing. Skins front 7 has it's way with anyone in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

Yeah, the Colts are real bad on D. With no DE penetration in Madden, the strengths of my team don't matter and my whole D scheme is useless. Hmm, maybe Madden isn't so good this year.... can we get a pocket?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

I use the 4-3 and enjoy running cover3 and zone blitzing w/ the Bucs.

After years of playing as the DT/DE in Madden, and trying to do so in Madden 09 w/ no success I've found a new niche...

I control the SS and MUST have one w/ a 'Big Hitter' weapon. I'll put him in the box in obvious running situations, and sometimes just put him there in the box when running cover 3 to disguise the coverage.

When controlling my SS and on passing downs when he is in coverage or sometimes man to man I've found that my D-Line works much better on its own w/ no user control as my tight coverage gets me those coveted coverage sacks.

So part of my philosophy in building my D is to ALWAYS have a SS w/ a high hit power rating who can lay the wood in the run, but also hold his own in coverage...Right now Jermaine Phillips is doing a damn fine job for me.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Yeah, the Colts are real bad on D. With no DE penetration in Madden, the strengths of my team don't matter and my whole D scheme is useless. Hmm, maybe Madden isn't so good this year.... can we get a pocket?
The lack of a consistent pass rush from a quality front four, coupled with the lack of double team blocking at the los when playing run defense, effectively renders the "Tampa Two" defense obsolete.

The game forces you to blitz to generate a pass rush, and because the oline won't double team the dline, the game forces you to play 8 in the box to even up the numbers against the running game.

So this becomes a major stumbling block to a player like myself who wants to defend the run with 7 man fronts and run a more conservative pass defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »