Home

Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System

This is a discussion on Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System

As usual the doctor makes a house call and presents the cure, LOL.

Good stuff LB.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #18
Banned

Bulldogs78's Arena

OVR: 6

GUYS GUYS GUYS!!! One step at a time OK? This is too much for them to handle right now. Hopefully we will see all this in 2012

*keeping fingers crossed
Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Add the following to this game:

Explosion - this rating would determine how fast a defender explodes off the line, namely what type of jump he gets on the snap of the ball. Sorta like jump the snap but it's a rating now instead of what it was. This attribute should be parsed into 4 tiers.

4 Star Explosion = Defender gets a great jump on the snap of the ball and has a fast burst up the field. Unblocked he would get to the QB in 1.1 seconds (combined with his pass rush rating of course). Examples = Kyle Vanden Bosh, Jevon Kearse, Trent Cole, Dwight Freeney, Shawne Merriman, John Abraham, Julius Peppers, Osi, Justin Tuck, Jason Taylor, Patrick Kearney, Leonard Little ect.

3 Star Explosion = Same as above. Unblocked he would get to the QB in 1.2 seconds (combined with pass rush rating) Examples = Terrell Suggs, DeMarcus Ware, James Harrison, Joey Porter

2 Star Explosion = Defender is explosive on the snap and can get to the QB untouched in 1.3 seconds. Examples = Luis Castillo, Andre Carter, Darren Howard, Shaun Phillips, Chike Okeafor, Albert Hanyesworth.

1 Star Explosion = Defender is explosive on the snap but does not get a great jump and takes 2 seconds to get to the QB unblocked. Example = Charles Grant.

0 Explosion rating for a player = no jump and explosion on the snap.

Pass Rush Rating = Determines a defenders ability to diagnose, find holes in the blocking scheme, angle of pursuit speed on the blitz and speed of the pass rush/ blitz in general. So what this does is create two different aspects of speed in the game. There would be 40 speed then there would be specialty speed. So let's say a guy like Suggs has an 87 speed. That's his base speed rating. So if he has to chase down a RB or is pursuing the ball as a run defender that's what his speed rating will be. But then let's flip it to rushing the passer. Let's say his pass rush rating is 94. Now his speed on the pass rush is a 7 point increase. Combine this with an explosion rating of 3 which would get him to jump the snap, but would also get him drawn offsides at times due to fake hikes, then you have a pass rushing demon that would make it impossible for a person to hike it and start running backwards with a QB. You better step up in the pocket because if you just start running back there should be no way the offensive tackle can deal with the jump and 94 speed running straight up the field.

More Pass Rush Moves and Chaining Moves.
New Pass Rush Moves should include:

1) A true Bull Rush
2) Push and Pull
3) Chop

Defenders should chain these moves together to fight free from blockers. For instance, Jason Taylor comes up the field on a speed rush and has his aiming point at the outside shoulder of the Offensive Tackle. The OT gets his hands out. Taylor chops, then spins inside and continues on to the QB. Or here is another one. Suggs starts with the Bull Rush, then he pushes and pulls the Olineman and continues on to the QB. Here is some video of the moves and chaining them together.

http://www.coachstevetucker.com/ar/dlinemoves.html

Assign these moves to particular players on a 3 star system - Suggs would be Bull Rush, Push and Pull, Rip. The highest 3 star move would be the players primary escape move that he would use against both run and pass, the 2 star move would be his Secondary Escape move. This means he attempts move one and fails to get off the blocker so immediately he turns to move two. The 3 star move and the 2 star move are used in any situation. The last move in the system would be his combo escape move on the pass rush such as chop and swim, or push/pull and swim.

Change Show Blitz to User controlled Auto-Motion Defense. Keep the same interface but change what it does.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 24

I literally just learned a lot about the game of football. Great posts all-around. I would love to see this implemented in Madden, it would make playing defense with blitzing teams like the Steelers a ton of fun.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #21
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Good work LB, now what would you do for the OL to counter these moves?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
I literally just learned a lot about the game of football. Great posts all-around. I would love to see this implemented in Madden, it would make playing defense with blitzing teams like the Steelers a ton of fun.
Same here, I learned about defensive blitzing today.

Great post Professor LBzrule!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

dude, bravo! I love these ideas. FIFA has a team chemistry rating that isnt useful or noticable. These star ratings could actually make a difference, although I'm not sold on them. But your explanations of the blitzing and blocking...excellent. Keep it coming, you are shoveling the golden word.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Good work LB, now what would you do for the OL to counter these moves?
I described it actually, but I will try to parse it out a bit more. I think Olinemen also need to be governed by some type of 3 tier system. But more importantly the protection schemes need some real study put into them. For one, there should NEVER be an Olineman that just stands around when there are players rushing the QB. There should be help. So there should be combo pass blocking added and there should also be Focus blocking for the Backs and TE's that you keep in for extra protection, you should also be able to assign chip and release blocking to backs and TE's on the defensive player of focus on ANY play. Now if you are keeping a finesse TE in then he better not get singled up or else he should get whipped.

So let's take any play out of the playbook with the HB releasing to the flat. Let's say DeMarcus Ware is beating my left tackle up the field and causing me problems. As long as the HB's route is toward Ware's side, I should be able to chip and release. So the Tackle will take Ware's inside shoulder and the back will fire and chip his outside hip, thus slowing him down. Let's take another scenario. Let's say I'm playing a guy that is sending Urlacher and Briggs up the middle alot. I'm in Shotgun with 2 backs and a slot WR. I should be able to do a host of things here. If I keep the backs in for max protect one of Urlacher and Briggs should come through but picked up by one of the backs, the other by the Center. Or I could use one back to chip block Alex Brown and take my chances with only one back helping me in the middle.

Also I forgot to mention that all of this is based on something else I had in mind, namely WR's running their routes alot faster, sorta like All Pro 2k8 football faster. The WR's and TE's in that game Explode off the line with their route running. Madden's WR's and TE's tend to jog. So you will have REAL hot reads that can get open quickly if you "guess" the right spot.

Not all RB's are good blockers against the blitz, but some do a damn fine job.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »