Home

Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System

This is a discussion on Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System

I'll fourth (5th?) the motion that LB gave a masters thesis in blitz schemes to an undergrad course.

Things the game has to put in...

1) Better DL get-off (as has been mentioned). Especially from the DE spot. This game really needs to put in the speed rush.

2) With that, they need chipping and double team protection. leaving your RB and TE in shoudl be to block a specific person, not just a random area.

Have a screen just like the WR matchup. The DL can be listed and you can have a an option that will say "auto", "double" and "chip". Auto means default, double means the player will be double teamed when possible and "chip" tells the RB to help vs that player if there isn't a blitz.

3) Angled blitzing. The "random gap" blitzing we have now sucks. You can't blitz the run because you don't know where your guy is going. Overloads are hard to run because sometimes your guy just goes to a different gap. All blitzes should have a specific gap and angle they attack at.

4) Overhauled DL/OL interaction. Suction blocking needs to end. Enough said. The OL and DL currently have psychic powers which also needs to end.

5) Fix stunts and loops. They are too slow right now
and don't have a direction.They also needs specific angles of attack, and more importantly, they need to be quick. No more looping 3 yards deep.

6) The OL need to target specific players. Way too many guys go untouched because the OL doesn't see them. They need to target the correct players before the play and block them.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Here is a pic from one of the members of Ravens board from the Titans game. Look if there is only a 4 man rush, there should never be an offensive lineman just standing around. HELP

So what they do here is double Fat Albert and still look at the penetration he is getting. Get the Dline up. Hmmm why did this image just resize itself
Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #51
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
One, I don't presuppose that it is easy per se. But second, just about everything that is being advocated for in this thread has been done before under some capacity in different games. All I'm asking is for the expansion of those things. Take auto-motion defense for instance. It was in NFL 2k1-2k4 (moreso in some of those games than others). All that is being said here is expand on that idea. In those games it was not user controlled. What's so hard about focus/chip blocking? They have a focus feature on defense already in the game? Is it really that uber difficult for them to write code for a system in which we can get our backs and TE's that we keep in to focus and chip block specific players? What is so hard about tweaking the pass rush angles of defensive linemen and blitzers so that they attack gaps instead of going everywhere or allowing the offensive linemen to determine where they can go? The biggest question I would ask is if it is hard for them or has it just not been a priority? Pass rush moves = motion capture, for one. A system that uses these moves might be a bit sophisticated the way I described it, but I'm not sure.

What could be so hard about an explosiveness rating and pass rush rating, when explosiveness = a rating that controls jump the snap, which was something already in the game, that was one time user controlled. A pass rush rating would only be a rating to govern different speeds. Would it really be that difficult to tweak the slide protection to where only the Center and the players lined up toward the slide side, slide, and the backside players are big on big? I know in my questioning I shouldn't presume since we haven't heard from Ian on this. So let me step back from my presumptions for a moment and I'd ask you to do the same and let's ask:

Ian if you have read any of the ideas in this thread, are they difficult ideas for your programmers to implement? What challenges do any of these ideas bring on the development side?
Great ideas LB. The biggest hindrance to your ideas is the pass blocking engine will need to be completely re-written. The current animation system doesn't support double teams, passing off defenders or partially blocking a defender that's engaged with another blocker (aka chip blocking).

In order for this to work all sucking blocking will have to be eliminated which will not be easy since it's a core part of the blocking engine. That's in addition to all the new AI that would have to be written.

Considering that 09 still doesn't have any sense of a real passing pocket I estimate your ideas are at least 2 - 3 years away from seeing light of day. Next year we'll be lucky just to get a real pocket with DEs that take proper rushing angles and don't get sucked into the OT every time.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »