Home

Lawsuit states the NFLPA conspired with EA to take a smaller deal than Take Two offer

This is a discussion on Lawsuit states the NFLPA conspired with EA to take a smaller deal than Take Two offer within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Lawsuit states the NFLPA conspired with EA to take a smaller deal than Take Two o

This is so sad. The NFLPA need to be put out of business. The least of their worries are law suits but some of these fools are going to be perp walked out of their building.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #74
Banned

Re: Lawsuit states the NFLPA conspired with EA to take a smaller deal than Take Two o

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
To assume the retired players aren't getting enough money is to assume they would have gotten a better contract from TT. That wasn't going to happen since they cancelled APF 2K9.

Second, the overall money paid to the players for 2K8 might have been higher than EA's offer. But that's skewed by how much 2K paid for the cream of the crop who also were featured on their cover like John Elway and Barry Sanders. Those guys got a ton of money. Even OJ Simpson got paid $50,000. I don't know how EA is distributing the money to the retirees but I'm not sure we can assume that the bottom 90% would be getting less money. Just maybe the handful of big name guys TT overpaid for which was not a long list of people.

Lastly, my biggest point about this whole thing is that EA is not really benefiting here. Honestly, how many extra sales of Madden did they do with these rights? I honestly think EA could have paid nothing for these guys, cut them out of the game and the sales would have stayed the same and their profits would have been higher. You could say they cut out the competition but they already folded and without the NFL license, 2K wasn't a threat anyways.

I just don't see any sort of great benefit for EA here which is why they weren't willing to pay much for it. I personally think people are using this to just vent about the original NFL deal more than anything. If EA didn't do this deal, there was a very good chance the retirees would have gotten nothing since nobody else was willing to pay them anything at the moment.
How didn't EA benefit from this deal. The NFLPA/EA kept TT out of the market.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
To assume the retired players aren't getting enough money is to assume they would have gotten a better contract from TT. That wasn't going to happen since they cancelled APF 2K9.

Second, the overall money paid to the players for 2K8 might have been higher than EA's offer. But that's skewed by how much 2K paid for the cream of the crop who also were featured on their cover like John Elway and Barry Sanders. Those guys got a ton of money. Even OJ Simpson got paid $50,000. I don't know how EA is distributing the money to the retirees but I'm not sure we can assume that the bottom 90% would be getting less money. Just maybe the handful of big name guys TT overpaid for which was not a long list of people.

Lastly, my biggest point about this whole thing is that EA is not really benefiting here. Honestly, how many extra sales of Madden did they do with these rights? I honestly think EA could have paid nothing for these guys, cut them out of the game and the sales would have stayed the same and their profits would have been higher. You could say they cut out the competition but they already folded and without the NFL license, 2K wasn't a threat anyways.

I just don't see any sort of great benefit for EA here which is why they weren't willing to pay much for it. I personally think people are using this to just vent about the original NFL deal more than anything. If EA didn't do this deal, there was a very good chance the retirees would have gotten nothing since nobody else was willing to pay them anything at the moment.
C'mon, Rudy...As the article noted, there is no 2k9 because EA underpaid to get the exclusive rights to the HOF players, with the help of the guys from the NFLPA. Did you even read the article?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
C'mon, Rudy...As the article noted, there is no 2k9 because EA underpaid to get the exclusive rights to the HOF players, with the help of the guys from the NFLPA. Did you even read the article?
that is what I read also.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #77
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by capp34
Its not that its just that EA receives 100% of the blame when in REALITY its EA 50% NFL 50%.

But EA does take 100% blame for the sub par NFL games they have been putting out since.

If EA would do with the exclusive license what they should there would be no hatred towards EA. Instead they mock us year after year.
Minnesota Wild
Old 10-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #78
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

Youve got to be kidding me?!?!?!?!?

You dont see how EA benefited from taking the greatest sports game ever made off the market???

I got a bridge somewhere to sell you.
Minnesota Wild
Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs78
That's what i'm saying! If they came out with no namers, but a really deep franchise, i'm there!

also, there are people there that will post roster updates for the NFL. There is nothing the NFL can do about that either.
I would love for the series to continue as well. I think EA will find a way to sue 2k for the series resembling the nfl too much...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
Youve got to be kidding me?!?!?!?!?

You dont see how EA benefited from taking the greatest sports game ever made off the market???

I got a bridge somewhere to sell you.
Umm...he never said that. Unless you're calling APF "the greatest sports game ever made", which I seriously doubt. The rights being referred to are the retired player rights, and that deals only with APF.

People are continually trying to drag 2k5 into this discussion when it's not even relevant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »