Home

Should the Sprint button be removed?

This is a discussion on Should the Sprint button be removed? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Should the Sprint button be removed?

I wouldnt mind if they remove the sprint button.

But it would be hard to adjust to my mind from not holding R2 anymore it will feel like I have no control over the player running fast.

But it would free up R2 none the less and implement a realistic accel/speed feel IMO.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8

I absolutely think they should get rid of the sprint button. To me it's a relic from the times when you had no analog sticks and needed a way to give players variable speed using only digital buttons.

The running system would certainly need to be overhauled for this. Left stick jukes would have to go. I would put everything on the right stick, and borrow how Fifa uses the right stick. Depending on whether or not you hold the right stick a direction or flick it it should do different things. Flick it left or right would do a quick juke that keeps most of your speed, but hold it left or right and you'll do a much harder juke that will lose some speed. Flick it back and you'll do a quick hesitaiton, hold it back and you'll do a hard stop. Flick it forward and you'll do a quick hit on the guy in front of you like it does now, hold it forward and your guy will put his head down and drive his legs, usefull for getting that extra yard you really need. (Hey, while we're at it, extend this "hold vs. flick" system to the hit stick as well. A short flick if you want to pop the guy, or hold it for a wrap up tackle.)

If you want your guy to really run as fast as he can you'd just hold the stick forward (or whichever direction you want to run) and just wait for him to get there depending on his acceleration rating. THis seems to be the common misconception with removing the sprint button, some seem to think you wouldn't be able to sprint. You would, it would just kick in automatically when your guy gets to a certain speed.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
I absolutely think they should get rid of the sprint button. To me it's a relic from the times when you had no analog sticks and needed a way to give players variable speed using only digital buttons.

The running system would certainly need to be overhauled for this. Left stick jukes would have to go. I would put everything on the right stick, and borrow how Fifa uses the right stick. Depending on whether or not you hold the right stick a direction or flick it it should do different things. Flick it left or right would do a quick juke that keeps most of your speed, but hold it left or right and you'll do a much harder juke that will lose some speed. Flick it back and you'll do a quick hesitaiton, hold it back and you'll do a hard stop. Flick it forward and you'll do a quick hit on the guy in front of you like it does now, hold it forward and your guy will put his head down and drive his legs, usefull for getting that extra yard you really need. (Hey, while we're at it, extend this "hold vs. flick" system to the hit stick as well. A short flick if you want to pop the guy, or hold it for a wrap up tackle.)

If you want your guy to really run as fast as he can you'd just hold the stick forward (or whichever direction you want to run) and just wait for him to get there depending on his acceleration rating. THis seems to be the common misconception with removing the sprint button, some seem to think you wouldn't be able to sprint. You would, it would just kick in automatically when your guy gets to a certain speed.
This is the revolution football gaming needs. Good post!!!!

They did achieve some of the Right Stick suggestions (tap for this, hold for that) with this years Live 09-and it's great! Now, do it for football!!! Use the sticks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

I never really thought of this but I have to say after dealing with the weird stutter move that is in this years game, I thinking about it. It also makes sense the gradual speed gain as well because players do go from zero to 60 and those that do are only the truly elite. Bottom line is that if its a direction towards realism Im down.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 22

I wish they could give us two options.. use a sprint button like NFL2k5..i LOVE tapping the button to speed up around the corner during a run.. and i tapping the button to break out of a tackle..just FEELS RIGHT... but no everyone likes that and i understand.

See the problem here is that developers are NOT GIVING US enough choices and options. Same can be said with camera angles, sliders,etc...GIVE US CHOICE!!! Gamers LOVE choice!!

This way you satisfy more people by giving us an option to have it on or off or options of variations.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

Improve > remove.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwidkewl
They need to remove the left stick juke too. Half of the problems people are having with the running game is because the left stick makes you do a weird hesitation/stutter step if you don't crank it forward right away. I have resorted to using the d-pad to run to alleviate the problem, but it would be nice if you could turn the left stick juke off.
OMG, Thanks for explaining that. I did not know the left stick did jukes. I thought it was a game glitch or animation problem that caused the rb to slow down. They def need to get rid of left stick juke.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

So all of you obviously think that a running back, or for that matter, any NFL player only has one speed? And that when they run with the ball in their hands, that they're going all out even within cuts and cut backs and things like that? That's ridiculous...

Not only should the sprint button be in this game, but it needs to be like 2k where the faster you push the button, the faster the player runs. That truly mimics how a human being runs. I use to be a running back myself, and having the tapping sprint button is by far more sim then holding a trigger and only gives the player two speeds. A running back uses alot more speeds then 2. Watch a back like Barry Sanders and you'd see this.

The tapping speed button should be put into this game atleast as an option for the people who want more sim in their running. It's alot more fun to use too. There's nothing more intense then breaking out a run and having a fast DB right on your butt and you know that you have to keep pumping that button as fast as possible or else he's going to dive and get you. That's what happens when you're running in real life and there's someone right on your tail....you're teeth are gritted, and you're pushing your legs as HARD and FAST as possible and you have to keep your speed pegged like that for 60 yards or else they're going to catch you....just like the tapping spring button in the game.

Last edited by Nintari; 10-01-2008 at 12:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »