Home

Why do they put games in Franchise that you HAVE to lose?

This is a discussion on Why do they put games in Franchise that you HAVE to lose? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Why do they put games in Franchise that you HAVE to lose?

The problem is called "rubber banding" otherwise know as CPU cheating. It's a problem that is intentional by the developers to create artificial competition. When you're up in the 4th, and you're running the ball, the % that you're going to fumble is through ROOF. The code is written that way, and there's nothing you can do but put on rewind and set it to unlimited. That way, when the CPU cheats, you can save the game.

The worst rubber banding I ever saw was when there's was about 1 minute left in the game, and the CPU kicked off to Hester, and Hester fumbled the ball on the 5. I was like, haha...and hit rewind. And guess what happened? Yup, he fumbled AGAIN.

The rubber banding in Madden is ridiculous....and that's why I always have rewinds on.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

Chris Berman: That's!... why they play the game....
Old 10-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #19
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm not sure what all of the defending in here is about but I understand where the TC is coming from. Sometimes it does feel like certain games are meant for you to lose.

I understand the "any given sunday" aspect but what has happens in Madden for as long as I've played it, is a little but different. Players make mistakes...mistakes lead to losses...an unknown supernatural being doesn't force these mistakes though. So when Tony Romo tries to squeeze the ball into a tight window in the endzone and gets picked off...he made a mistake. When Tony Romo throws the ball to T.O who is running a short curl route and the ball somehow sails waaaayyy off to the left or right by about 6 yards and nestles itself into the safety's hands...something's wrong. It happens one time then you can make an arguement for it being one of those "woah" moments, it happens 3 times coupled along with multiple fumbles by players with decent "carry" ratings and we definitely have a prob.

Classic rubberband AI by EA, it's been there since Madden on the PS2. Maybe even further back than that. Trying to say it doesn't exist is just slightly ridiculous.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

i think this is an issue we should all just give up debating and agree to disagree...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #21
Rookie

Murkurial's Arena

OVR: 5

^^ Nah, let's see what other people have to say. Don't run away so soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #22
Banned

gpe1975's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXcusefan
Ditto- This guy has to watch the NFL, Upsets happen...
I have NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't pay all that money not to watch it.

It's not the upset that I mind, it's the remarkable coincidences involved. The ridiculous turnovers, highly elevated completion percentages, etc..

What ev... What might be even more ridiculous is that I beat Philly and Green Bay with my Falcons on the road. That wouldn't happen in 100 years.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #23
Banned

gpe1975's Arena

OVR: 7

And another thing. I think a great way to avoid these "you will lose" games is by having some players that are hot and the rest of the team playing normal. For that matter, some of my players might have a bad game, but not ALL of them.

In the two games vs. the Chiefs and the Raiders, I couldn't run, block, not fumble, pass or tackle.

A great way to make it more realistic is if some players play well and others play normal or poorly.

It would be so much more realistic if an opposing QB just has a great game and beats you single handedly. Even better, an opposing O-Line just works really well as a unit and protects the qb so well that he has a great game. I just find it crappy when an entire team has the game of their lives against me on the same day.

Yes, I agree with everyone that said I should have a problem with my beating Philly in Philly and Green Bay in Green Bay. It just a different kind of problem, if you get my drift.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

I dont understand the problem. I love it when I lose games to the CPU, though it happens rarely. Its a lot better than having 3 of my players come in tops on the MVP voting, winning coach of the year, having home feild advantage locked up by week 12, going 16-0, having 18 pro bowlers, throwing for 4,500 yards and 42 touchdowns and running for 1,800 yards and 25 touchdowns, and winning the super bowl by a minimum of 35 points every single year. Teams arent meant to win every game in a season, not even the pats last year. If my team has an off game I think its a real good thing. If you want to have the perfect season then play on rookie level and call it a day. Im not going to put you down, some people actually do want to beat on the CPU that badly. I dont though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »