Home

Madden '08 PC Edition.....

This is a discussion on Madden '08 PC Edition..... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Pro

Revolution42's Arena

OVR: 25
Madden '08 PC Edition.....

Has anyone played last years version of Madden on their PC? IF so.....what is / was your overall opinion of the game in regards to basic gameplay...graphics.....options etc etc? Thanks much in advance for any info....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Madden '08 PC Edition.....

Well for starters, the passing game is way better in the PC version of 08. Defenders don't jump unrealistically high in the air to bat it away or intercept it. It feels good to complete a passing route that went over defenders heads. In Madden 09, it seems like most of the time you have to have a completely open window or you face the risk of throwing a pick. When's the last time you saw someone like Favre throw an absolute rocket but a linebacker with no catching ability leaped 7 feet in the air and picked it off with his fingertips? Didn't think so.

You can also complete more streak patterns, go routes, stop and go's, etc.. As we know, the Madden 09 DB's are superhuman and defy basic physics. And in the PC version, fast receivers will actually burn slow corners. There's none of this nonsense like Madden 09 where speed ratings seem to be a complete non-factor. In the PC version, I once drafted a gem in the later rounds, he was low-rated but his speed was 98 and his accelerated was 99. I didn't know this until after I signed him, I was just merely filling my roster at this point. I realized how good he was in pre-season despite his low ratings so I ended up putting him in as a slot receiver then eventually a starter on the outside. He had over 1,000+ receiving yards in his first three seasons in the league! He was a straight baller.

Sorry, back on topic...

There's a fella over at football-freaks.com that makes crafty little programs and editors for the PC version. He also drew up a season by season walkthrough for using his progs along with a few house rules he uses. It makes the franchise experience amazingly better. The problem I've always had was finding a good balance of fair, realistic, and challenging. Well since I've followed his rules, I've actually experienced losing seasons. So his work is appreciated. That whole community over there does a great job with the PC stuff.

As for the graphics. Though it doesn't compare to Maddn 09 on the 360, the player models still look good, and realistic for the most part. The animation system is dated and it can be a bit quirky at times, but it's nothing that ruins the game. Except for suction blocking.

The overall gameplay seems a lot better than MAdden 09. I was a bit disappointed when I took the leap to next-gen and it seemed as though some areas were greatly improved where-as other areas seemed to take strides in the wrong direction.

The editors available for the PC version also allows you to edit coaches, draft classes, schedules, salary caps, progression/regression, weapons, and tons of other things. There's even a program designed to help the CPU with their draft logic! I used some of the ground rules and guides people have laid out, then branched off in my own direction and found my own system. And I must say, it was a fun experience. Recently I've been tempted to return to the PC version just because the next-gen version has been giving me such headaches.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to try and help you out. I have a lot of experience with the PC versions.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18

It's basically a PS2 port but you'll be surprised how good it looks in high resolutions (I played in 1680X1050).

A big advantage over the PS2 version is that the vision cone is optional on all levels and turning it off also removes it for the CPU. In case you didn't know, the vision cone has been detrimental to the CPU passing game ever since they introduced it in the 06 version on last gen. People on XBOX and PS2 used to start their games with 2 controllers to be able to turn the cone off for the CPU.

As the poster above mentioned, there's a lot of editing tools available at Football-Freaks.com to improve the franchise experience. Graphic editing is not as easy as it was with MVP so don't expect major graphic mods like the ones at MVP Mods, at least there weren't any when I was playing. But at the time they had just found a way to replace textures at run time so they may have done a lot since then.

I know they have an 09 mod available too.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Editing now has reached modifying the game's uniform DAT files so any changes are permanent. It's still a little iffy but the progress made is phenomenal. It's getting close to being MVP level.

I don't think I need to add much else to this thread, the two above posts cover it mostly. 08 PC is the best last-gen version of Madden you'll find. It isn't perfect, but if you put a bit of effort into it, you won't find a better playing football game for the statistical and realism conscious, narrowly beating out 2K5 IMO due to slightly superior CPU AI and a far more flexible franchise mode.

For me right now, I'm playing 09 360 mostly these days but only because I haven't got as much time lately to do a proper franchise I actually care about. That and the PC gameplay hasn't changed much over the years and it was starting to burn me out a little, so I needed a bit of a change, even if it is a change to a significantly inferior product for a franchise mode player like me. But I'll be back on 08 PC once I feel I've depleted 09 360's worth. Some pretty good gameplay on the 360 this year, but if I can't do 10-15+ season franchises, I lose interest pretty quickly.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

How do you get realistic stats if you sim the season in 08...I usually have 5 backs over 2,000 yards...Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Pro

Revolution42's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_max
Well for starters, the passing game is way better in the PC version of 08. Defenders don't jump unrealistically high in the air to bat it away or intercept it. It feels good to complete a passing route that went over defenders heads. In Madden 09, it seems like most of the time you have to have a completely open window or you face the risk of throwing a pick. When's the last time you saw someone like Favre throw an absolute rocket but a linebacker with no catching ability leaped 7 feet in the air and picked it off with his fingertips? Didn't think so.

You can also complete more streak patterns, go routes, stop and go's, etc.. As we know, the Madden 09 DB's are superhuman and defy basic physics. And in the PC version, fast receivers will actually burn slow corners. There's none of this nonsense like Madden 09 where speed ratings seem to be a complete non-factor. In the PC version, I once drafted a gem in the later rounds, he was low-rated but his speed was 98 and his accelerated was 99. I didn't know this until after I signed him, I was just merely filling my roster at this point. I realized how good he was in pre-season despite his low ratings so I ended up putting him in as a slot receiver then eventually a starter on the outside. He had over 1,000+ receiving yards in his first three seasons in the league! He was a straight baller.

Sorry, back on topic...

There's a fella over at football-freaks.com that makes crafty little programs and editors for the PC version. He also drew up a season by season walkthrough for using his progs along with a few house rules he uses. It makes the franchise experience amazingly better. The problem I've always had was finding a good balance of fair, realistic, and challenging. Well since I've followed his rules, I've actually experienced losing seasons. So his work is appreciated. That whole community over there does a great job with the PC stuff.

As for the graphics. Though it doesn't compare to Maddn 09 on the 360, the player models still look good, and realistic for the most part. The animation system is dated and it can be a bit quirky at times, but it's nothing that ruins the game. Except for suction blocking.

The overall gameplay seems a lot better than MAdden 09. I was a bit disappointed when I took the leap to next-gen and it seemed as though some areas were greatly improved where-as other areas seemed to take strides in the wrong direction.

The editors available for the PC version also allows you to edit coaches, draft classes, schedules, salary caps, progression/regression, weapons, and tons of other things. There's even a program designed to help the CPU with their draft logic! I used some of the ground rules and guides people have laid out, then branched off in my own direction and found my own system. And I must say, it was a fun experience. Recently I've been tempted to return to the PC version just because the next-gen version has been giving me such headaches.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to try and help you out. I have a lot of experience with the PC versions.
Thanks!!! Just what I was hoping to hear. I think I will be making the switch myself....save the PS3 for The Show....thanks again.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Pro

Revolution42's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
It's basically a PS2 port but you'll be surprised how good it looks in high resolutions (I played in 1680X1050).

A big advantage over the PS2 version is that the vision cone is optional on all levels and turning it off also removes it for the CPU. In case you didn't know, the vision cone has been detrimental to the CPU passing game ever since they introduced it in the 06 version on last gen. People on XBOX and PS2 used to start their games with 2 controllers to be able to turn the cone off for the CPU.

As the poster above mentioned, there's a lot of editing tools available at Football-Freaks.com to improve the franchise experience. Graphic editing is not as easy as it was with MVP so don't expect major graphic mods like the ones at MVP Mods, at least there weren't any when I was playing. But at the time they had just found a way to replace textures at run time so they may have done a lot since then.

I know they have an 09 mod available too.
Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Pro

Revolution42's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Editing now has reached modifying the game's uniform DAT files so any changes are permanent. It's still a little iffy but the progress made is phenomenal. It's getting close to being MVP level.

I don't think I need to add much else to this thread, the two above posts cover it mostly. 08 PC is the best last-gen version of Madden you'll find. It isn't perfect, but if you put a bit of effort into it, you won't find a better playing football game for the statistical and realism conscious, narrowly beating out 2K5 IMO due to slightly superior CPU AI and a far more flexible franchise mode.

For me right now, I'm playing 09 360 mostly these days but only because I haven't got as much time lately to do a proper franchise I actually care about. That and the PC gameplay hasn't changed much over the years and it was starting to burn me out a little, so I needed a bit of a change, even if it is a change to a significantly inferior product for a franchise mode player like me. But I'll be back on 08 PC once I feel I've depleted 09 360's worth. Some pretty good gameplay on the 360 this year, but if I can't do 10-15+ season franchises, I lose interest pretty quickly.

Thanks!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »