Home

Catching on the run with WR's

This is a discussion on Catching on the run with WR's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Catching on the run with WR's

Despite all the things wrong with madden, I think this is my biggest gripe with the game being unrealistic.

It seems to be VERY rare that I hit a WR in stride and he actually runs for a second or two before contact with a defender.

Obviously this does not apply to long passes when the WR gets behind the defender or when a guy is so wide open there is no one around him. I'm talking about slants, curls, and all the other routes.

Even when it seems like my very fast and quick wr has 2 steps on the defender covering him, as soon as the ball hits my guy's hands the defender is on top of him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Catching on the run with WR's

make sure your feet are set when you throw...and are you using precision passing to lead your receiver?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Rookie

Feet are set most of the time. Sometimes precision passing, sometimes not.

Even if I hit my guy perfectly in stride, he seems to slow down as the ball hits his hands and any separation between him and the defender closes in a nano-second. It's like one step tops before I get hit from behind.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Pro

Never seemed to be a problem with me...I mean there are definitely times where I see a big space but because I'm rushing the throw or on the move my throw won't lead him properly and the DB will close up the space...but there are also times on crossing routes against man coverage that I can run for at least 5 yards. Maybe it's the accuracy of the QB you're playing with? I play with the Packers 99.9% of the time.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
Never seemed to be a problem with me...I mean there are definitely times where I see a big space but because I'm rushing the throw or on the move my throw won't lead him properly and the DB will close up the space...but there are also times on crossing routes against man coverage that I can run for at least 5 yards. Maybe it's the accuracy of the QB you're playing with? I play with the Packers 99.9% of the time.
Why would the accuracy matter? The ball is being put in the right spot. The wr is being hit in stride at the right time.

The only time I am able to run after the catch is if i've got a guy with upper 90's speed making the catch against a much slower guy and I hit sprint before the catch is even made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenjami
Feet are set most of the time. Sometimes precision passing, sometimes not.

Even if I hit my guy perfectly in stride, he seems to slow down as the ball hits his hands and any separation between him and the defender closes in a nano-second. It's like one step tops before I get hit from behind.
I would have to say that this is pretty close to realism though. It's usually pretty impossible to stay at full sprint speed when you are catching a pass. Imagine a pass thrown across the middle - a DB is at full speed behind you and you have to go up and grab the ball - obviously you have given him that step to catch up to you. Now I do agree that some of our catches are too slow (and some are too fast with warping too), but I do want to set expectations that in real life, it is rare that you maintain full speed when going from a sprint to catching a pass...the ball has to be absolutely perfect position and you can't break stride at all.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #7

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

My only gripe, and Im sure its done on purpose, is that when you complete a pass to someone and you want to control them there is a hitch in the animation between that receiver being CPU controlled and me taking control and this allows the defenders to always stop me from getting much YAC. At this point its better to let the CPU finish the play out when Im passing because of this problem.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
Pro

Hows this?

This is just one example of how I've never had a problem. It is deep but it's a cross on man coverage with the guy only a few steps behind me... Just have to lead him in the right direction.

Last edited by NYyankz225; 10-05-2008 at 03:13 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »