Home

Madden has along way to go

This is a discussion on Madden has along way to go within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Madden has along way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
The problem with Madden on next gen was who was in charge of the product, not the studio in which it was developed. Hopefully Ian and Phil will go back to giving the hardcore gamer what he wants, instead of the joe blow online gamer.
And I respect the fact that Ian and Phil have spoken well about David Ortiz publicly, and perhaps they had no problems with him regardless of a lot of the speculation out there. Sometimes it's not that the guy in charge is a bad guy or even an incompetent guy. It's just that some leaders are able to get more out of their people than others, or they see things in a way that other leaders don't... But regardless, you're 100% right. The game just wasn't moving forward with David at the helm.

Phil came on late in Madden 09's development, and I think Ian came over late too to be on board with gameplay. But these two guys obviously want to make this game better in ways that didn't take place prior to them being in their spots. That makes me more optimistic than I was around this time say, 2006 or 2007.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #50
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
It's just my opinion, but Madden on legacy gen wasn't that great, either. Sure, stacked up against no competition these past couple of years, it's been decent. But I'm not sure those games have even passed the bar set by 2k 3 or 4 years ago.
In my opinion, Madden '05 was an amazing game and still by far the best Madden I've played thus far.

Again, opinions will vary, because I prefered the Madden series to the 2k series. Not saying by any stretch of the imagination that 2k isn't/wasn't a great football series, just that I prefered Madden.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 10-10-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #51
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
but the thing is, its not like Tiburon doesn't know how to make a good game. Look at any of the Madden's on the legacy gen.

The problem with Madden on next gen was who was in charge of the product, not the studio in which it was developed. Hopefully Ian and Phil will go back to giving the hardcore gamer what he wants, instead of the joe blow online gamer.
Yeah I would agree a big part of the game's problem has been focus. Most of their big ideas for this gen have crashed and burned and from what it seems we're watching this year's "the game adapts to you" idea going down in flames before our eyes. The last gen games were good for what they were, but even then we knew the game needed to evolve - back then no one was saying they'd be happy with a high-res current version of the current gen game. Right now we would be, but that's in part because the next gen game has been so disappointing.

When I read a lot of the Tiburon devs answers on how things work and why they work the way they do (passing game, stiff arms, etc.) it doesn't exactly instill confidence. It's hard to say they really see the issues in the game as many of us do, given how defensive they seem sometimes.

EDIT: didn't mean to get too wordy - then mistakenly saved the post. I'm not saying they can't turn it around. But there are a lot of areas that need to be addressed, more bad or so-so than good imo

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

Last edited by spankdatazz22; 10-10-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 24

"But you're dismissing what those things will do to the overall picture. More characters (graphical resources), more interaction (AI resources) means a hit to the other parts. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have, but at the expense of what happens on the field? It would be a big mistake. They had trouble getting AI for the refs into the game when it was at 30 frames so we didn't get refs, and even more at 60 and so we of course still don't have them. Adding interactive sidelines will mean an even bigger AI challenge, and that's going to mean cuts someplace else."

Not if they knew what they were doing. Frame hits? I don't think so. If that were the case, why is it other sports games are able to implement all that stuff with no problems? The XBOX360 and PS3 have the harddrive space, power, etc. to really turn Madden into a graphic-crazy,top gameplaying, eye-candy explosion of a football sim. But it was said by EA last year, I think, that the coding for the PS3 was "complicated".
Ok, so make Madden 10 for the PC and XBOX only, if that's a problem.
Newer pc's would be able to handle anything thrown at them, PLUS keep the online aspect.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 6

how about let another company take a shot at it if EA can't do it... you honestly don't think that 2k is sitting back thinkin, well, we can't have an nfl licensed game until 2015 ( im guessing ), so why shoudl we code anything... or do you think they are actually sitting there, taking the next 5 to 8 years that they haven't had the license and making there version amazing...

just my thoughts...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #54

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Ok, so make Madden 10 for the PC and XBOX only, if that's a problem.
Newer pc's would be able to handle anything thrown at them, PLUS keep the online aspect.
yea they can do that and lose a ton of money... OR they can continue doing what they are doing in order to maximize their sales...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2k8 CHAMP
After watching NFL and playing Madden 09 then playing NBA 2k9 I realized what is wrong with Madden

(A.I.)
1.The Players need Tendencies just like Basketball games.Vince Young plays the same as Tom Brady.

Play Calling needs a reworking it's almost horrible.It should be based on the teams playing style,Coaches,and situation of the game.

Adapting...There is none whatsoever....After Halftime it should be game plan changes if things aren't going correctly.

Mismatches...The cpu doesn't recognize them on either side of the ball...The cpu should exploit your weaknesses

Audibles,hot routes,adjustments,etc... The cpu needs to use alot more especially a smart qb when they see a mismatch or a blitz coming.

(Gameplay)

1.The WR/DB interaction needs an overhaul.....They need to fight for position on passing plays they just run right by each other.

(Blocking) OL/DL interaction.....Blocking is horrid.....players block the wrong person and it's usually not a very good block either....OL needs to form more of a pocket

Robo QB....My problem is when players are running around and throwing perfect passes along with pressure on the cpu and they're making perfect passes.

Short yardage runs....It needs to be more of who has a better push up front rather than blocking...which is where pile ups come into affect

Pile ups...There is none whatsoever.....It should be numerous pile ups throughout the game for ex...Kickoff returns,Fumbles,Short Yardage runs,and Goaline runs

Ratings....They really need to distinguish a 73 WR from a 96 WR....73 OL vs. a 96 OL,73 QB vs. 96 B,etc....

7.Team Play Styles and Tempo.....Every team should have a certain play style and tempo that they try to establish like for example Colts Run N Gun vs. The Bears grind it out

(Graphics,Animations,Presentation)
Crowd is bad Look wise and sound wise

1st is looks

There is no merchandise,game signs around the stadium,and also the crowd stands the whole time....The crowd should sit and they should stand when a big play errupts or it's crunch time.

Example cheese heads in Green Bay it should be team specific for Merchandise,signs,etc...
http://www.packersgameday.com/pictur...02/stands5.jpg

2nd Sound
It should be very loud in the stadium when it's a big game,close game,etc...

Also add chants like M-V-P-(Certain players),OVERRATED,J-E-T-S- JETS JETS JETS,etc.....

2.Sidelines and endzones....It's just not enough people on the field..Players,Camera man,reporters,Coaches,security,Cheerleaders,etc...

Interactive Sidelines...They really need these for when players get hit out of bounds,big play reactions,touch down celebrations,etc...

Big Game recongnition-Monday night Football,Sunday night Football,Primetime game,Thursday night Football,Thanksgiving Day,Two Powerhouses,Playoffs,etc.... They should reciever special presentation and coverage and all of them should be covered in a different manner

Halftime Highlights and advice for 2nd half sucess,2 minute warning Gamebreaks and Game highlights,Post Game coverage

6.Animations need alot of improvement for example sideline catching

7.On Field Refs,Chain Gain,Field Dedgration,Weather Effects,Injury Carts
Agree. I'll sound like a broken record, but NFL 2k5 was ten times better than this pile of junk and this was released 4 years ago. Besides playing the actual matches the game blows hard. No realism, woeful AI in the run game (like 1.2 yards a carry AD v Denver's crappy run D) Passing game is ****ing stupid (58 TDs with Trent Edwards in a season in Franchise mode).

The commentary is worse than any version of Madden on the PS2 and that was hardly great. There is zero in game presentation. Man by 2008 you'd think they'd at least match 2k especially considering they have ESPN on board.

Also on the sidelines the players still look like lego blocks in the same way they did on the PS2 and gamecube.

60 bucks every year for a roster update and a ton of new glitches is no longer worth it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
yea they can do that and lose a ton of money... OR they can continue doing what they are doing in order to maximize their sales...
I just hope next year they don't think extra camera flashes = even better presentation than 09....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »