Home

Has it hit anyone else how sad this is?

This is a discussion on Has it hit anyone else how sad this is? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #33
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Has it hit anyone else how sad this is?

To the people who said the forums are only filled with negativity....

Are you saying Madden 09 is a good game then?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 14

im on here very day hoping someone has an answer for robo QB.
its laughable all right.
guess who the joke is on though?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
The way I see it is, Madden 09 is made for the online tournament style player. For this type of player the game works just fine right out of the box. This type of player only plays online, they find all the exploits in the game such as ,WR direct snap, FB dive, QB sneak, all plays that seem to confuse the A.I and will always get you 2 to 5 yards. They are also the type of player who will scramble all over the place with the QB until the A.I. DB's pull off the coverage leaving the WR's wide open, and they will manually move the DE's out of position for the easy sack.

These are the guys Madden 09 is made for, and for them the game is a gem. I've seen it first hand. I've witnessed it online in the lobby games, and I've even seen it in a couple of the leagues I've joined. The leagues were supposed to be sim leagues, but I've quickly found out the when a true Madden player gets behind, that tournament style of play quickly comes to the surface. I've also been watching Madden Nation on ESPN. Touted as the greatest Madden players in the Nation, these guys fit the mold perfectly. A few play fairly realistic football but the top guys are all cheese. They find every exploit they can and use them constantly. Drastic drop backs, scramble way right, then left until the coverage breaks down. FB dive every play, non stop hurry up offense, the list goes on and on.

After reading Ian and Phil’s posts about the future of Madden, I was beginning to think that just maybe Madden 2010 would be the game we are looking for, but then I saw Madden Nation and realized that this is the type of player these guys will always cater too. What would happen to Madden Nation if they actually made a game that would penalize a player that drops back 20 yards or scrambles around until the coverage breaks down? These players are their bread and butter. If you think they are going to make Madden more realistic to please a few hundred, when thousands like the game the way it is, well you've got another thing commin'.

Sadly I fear Madden is what it is, a game built for online ,do what ever it takes to win game play. With a weak franchise made to get the sim guys to buy the product. But when we do buy it we quickly see that the game plays nothing like the real game of football we watch every Sunday. Instead we have to comb the internet searching for ways to make the game play the way it should in the first place. I've tweaked my sliders, I've tried the "My Skill" setting, I am still playing my franchise and at times, although very few, the game seems very good, but then I am just about to sack the QB and he magically whips the ball off his back foot to a WR that's not even in his line of vision. Now that's football, NOT!

I want to love Madden football, I am a football fanatic. I have 4 HDTV's set up in my living room during football season so I can watch 4 games at once with the NFL Sunday ticket. I love football, and I love playing video game football. NFL 2k5 was so close, Madden 05 was also close, but as we all know 2k never got to take that next step toward making the perfect NFL game, and EA , with no more competition, didn’t have to take that step.

That is the thing that pisses me off the most , They've got us by the balls because if we want to play NFL football this is all we have. I really wish I had the finances to fight this exclusive rights deal. It is so wrong on so many levels

End Rant.
Excellent post JMD. You hit the nail on the head.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecahl
I wish people would stop treating this game as if it's the holy grail of football games.

I have it, it isn't that great.
Not the Holy Grail, but certainly (for me anyway) MUCH more fun and entertaining to play than Madden.

Last edited by Segagendude; 10-10-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have a mixed opinion on this. First of all, if we just keep this to football games, and you can read my "Edit the QB ACC to fix Robo-QB" thread for details, Madden 09 turns out to be a very good game w/alot of tweaks (and you are definitely right, WE should not have to do this!) - I have no idea who QCs this game, but geez..

Also, considering how good ESPN2k5 was 4 years ago, and where we've progressed (or regressed?), its disappointing. But also, I had to do major roster edits, and sliders for that game too. (Some liked Madden 2005 alot too, but I was already frustrated w/the same Madden year after year, and the 2k series was a breath of fresh air)

I would have hoped we could have gotten by now some "new" game, some Great camera angles, chain gangs (i.e. PS2)..atmosphere, immersion..no, we get "Backtrack" and the same Madden game since 1994 it seems. I wondering if I power up my Genesis
Old 10-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 27

Backtrack is okay to me, the problem is that it doesn't analyze the CPU's performance, so they missed an opportunity there to have balanced analysis which is what you get in a TV broadcast.

My problem was having rewind and not other more important things, but bullet point features will always be in the equation.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #39
Rookie

jackw's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecahl
I wish people would stop treating this game as if it's the holy grail of football games.

I have it, it isn't that great.
Just to let you understand why the game is the holy grail... Check out the up to date rosters and stadium music. This game is 4 years older than Madden 09. Sick!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/225777.html
FIGHT FOR OLD D.C.!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

Its sad but at the same time expected. Is sad that people who want to play a football game with any kind of resemblance to the NFL have to forkout 60 hard earned bucks to a billion dollar company for a glitch packed, lazily compiled, piece of ****.

The game is no different really to Madden 06 on the 360. Big deal they added ownership options in franchise and superstar mode, yawn.

Its the same old **** every year with roster updates, and even at that the updates are out of date training camp squads that don't get updated until some schmuck at EA can be bothered to, normally around November/December. Unreal.

I'm just awaiting now on the obligatory fanboys coming on to slate me for giving my opinion. Well it just so happens I'm not a fanboy of any game companies, because really besides football games I'm far too casual a gamer to bother getting into that sort of stuff.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »