Home

Human run game fixed! Lead blocking!

This is a discussion on Human run game fixed! Lead blocking! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Human run game fixed! Lead blocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
Ouch!

Seems like alot of AVOIDing just to play football.
Extremely unrealistic too!

I'm doing just fine running overall, and I use a wide variety of runs inside and outside. Just play around with slide protection, and mix up your play-calling. For example work hard to make your passing successful, then mix in a run or two to keep the D honest. Then back to a few passes and mix in a play-action. Then back to a run. If your using sliders I don't think it works as well, but if your using My Skill with IQ the CPU does a great job of adjusting to your play style so very realistic defensive adjustments occur during games. You really have to work at you rplay calling and use a wide range of plays.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

i play on my skill and my rushing level is always in the all madden level, and yet i need to run the ball at least 40 times to get to 100 yards (i play 15 MINUTE QUARTERS PEOPLE) i once came out with 15 passes in a row before running and it didn't seem to matter at all when i decided to run the ball, the cpu just beat me up as always, my biggest runs always come out of the fb dive (doesn't matter which formation either) i try lead blocking and slide protection and nothing seems to make a difference on my 2.5 yard a carry average lol... i'll pancake a dt and then switch back to thr rb to head through that hole and all of a sudden the other 10 defenders are on my back, somebody help!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Extremely unrealistic too!

I'm doing just fine running overall, and I use a wide variety of runs inside and outside. Just play around with slide protection, and mix up your play-calling. For example work hard to make your passing successful, then mix in a run or two to keep the D honest. Then back to a few passes and mix in a play-action. Then back to a run. If your using sliders I don't think it works as well, but if your using My Skill with IQ the CPU does a great job of adjusting to your play style so very realistic defensive adjustments occur during games. You really have to work at you rplay calling and use a wide range of plays.
It also helps to put your receivers in motion to get the D moving before the snap. If I am running to the outside I will try to send one receiver in motion to the opposite side I am running. Usually the CB will follow him leaving that side of the field open for my RB and blocker. Good for 10+ yards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
It also helps to put your receivers in motion to get the D moving before the snap. If I am running to the outside I will try to send one receiver in motion to the opposite side I am running. Usually the CB will follow him leaving that side of the field open for my RB and blocker. Good for 10+ yards.
That only works if the defense is in man coverage but good point none the less.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 6

I have used it to minor success, I find that with my IQ and such I just cannot find a way to get a run game. I can pass all day, audible from the formation i'm passing in and no matter what the D always knows and plays the run. It seems as if they run commit every play as play actions work so well even if I don't run and I can pass all day, just hard to find a good balance.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

I dont really have a problem with the run game. Usually crank out about 3 to 4 yards per carry. I dont really know about slide protection and audibles etc, etc, just callin regular ol run plays and its fine. I adjusted sliders to 54 run blocking and 50 for the other 2 sub categories(forgot what they're called, I think one is RB ablity or break tackle or something). I might hit about 80 yards on a good game.

I will admit though, in a bad game 30/40 yards just seems very unrealistic, not enough, even for a below average rb. Oh well, as we always say, maybe next year we'll have a little more polish to it all.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_ewok18
If you're like me, you were having trouble running the ball with this year's madden. Inside runs would get you 3 yards, and outsides runs were stopped for losses most of the time. I was getting really tired of getting 30 yards with the better backs in the game. Anyway...

I went to practice my deep passing and audibled a few runs. I thought I'd try out lead blocking since I totally forgot it was still in the game. BAM! 15 yard gain. So I play a game as the Raiders against the 49ers using lead blocking and I picked up 250 yards for the game! Broke a 78 yarder with McFadden, too.

So, here's what I do: As the name would suggest, it's really important that you use the lead blocker. So, for a run up the middle, control the center, for a run on the outside, control the LT/TE. Always go for the pancake. You'd think that just getting one good block wouldn't make a huge difference, but it does.

I've only played a few games using lead blocking, but this is working wonders for me. It won't fix the CPU run game, and you'll still have some plays where you whiff on your block and lose yardage... but I ran for 250 yards!!! Try it!
This was a great suggestion. My problem was that the line is schizophrenic. One play, everyone would get on a body, on the next play my highly rated linemen would completely whiff on guys right in front of him. With this, the game is fun again. This will take some practice, especially loosening and working your eyes after the snap and after you make your block back to your RB, but it's worth the investment.

If you're having problems with too much penetration in the backfield, manually controlling a lineman and taking the most dangerous defender is definitely the way to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Rookie

jackw's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_ewok18
If you're like me, you were having trouble running the ball with this year's madden. Inside runs would get you 3 yards, and outsides runs were stopped for losses most of the time. I was getting really tired of getting 30 yards with the better backs in the game. Anyway...

I went to practice my deep passing and audibled a few runs. I thought I'd try out lead blocking since I totally forgot it was still in the game. BAM! 15 yard gain. So I play a game as the Raiders against the 49ers using lead blocking and I picked up 250 yards for the game! Broke a 78 yarder with McFadden, too.

So, here's what I do: As the name would suggest, it's really important that you use the lead blocker. So, for a run up the middle, control the center, for a run on the outside, control the LT/TE. Always go for the pancake. You'd think that just getting one good block wouldn't make a huge difference, but it does.

I've only played a few games using lead blocking, but this is working wonders for me. It won't fix the CPU run game, and you'll still have some plays where you whiff on your block and lose yardage... but I ran for 250 yards!!! Try it!
Just pick aggressive slide protection and the line actually blocks. I've had 100 yd games with Portis on All-Madden.
FIGHT FOR OLD D.C.!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »