Home

Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

This is a discussion on Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #73
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

EA has killed football gaming for me.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #74
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Just to follow up on this as I've posted this before, but there are no designers that are former tournament guys on Madden 2010. Hopefully you all will see from my posts (and eventually from the game) that Madden will absolutely NOT be catered to the tournament crowd. Those guys will figure out glitches and exploits no matter what...I'd rather us make the game so that someone can run a real-life offense and beat them instead of having to find 'better' exploits.

Also, dave374, I think this is a great thread. Believe it or not I share many of the same sentiments with you as well.

I am super excited with the position I'm in to make the game into what we all want it to be. It may take a long time, or it may only take a year...I don't really know. But it's a great spot to be - you all have a direct line to the lead designer and I have hundreds or thousands of hardcore Madden fans that just want one thing - a great f'ing game.
Maybe... you can be our White Knight...
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #75
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
It may take a long time, or it may only take a year...I don't really know.

Well, that statement is a little disconcerting, although I understand there's only so much you can do.

I'm obviously rooting for the one year time frame. I interpret "a long time" as five years or more, and that's...um...a long time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Just to follow up on this as I've posted this before, but there are no designers that are former tournament guys on Madden 2010. Hopefully you all will see from my posts (and eventually from the game) that Madden will absolutely NOT be catered to the tournament crowd. Those guys will figure out glitches and exploits no matter what...I'd rather us make the game so that someone can run a real-life offense and beat them instead of having to find 'better' exploits.

Also, dave374, I think this is a great thread. Believe it or not I share many of the same sentiments with you as well.

I am super excited with the position I'm in to make the game into what we all want it to be. It may take a long time, or it may only take a year...I don't really know. But it's a great spot to be - you all have a direct line to the lead designer and I have hundreds or thousands of hardcore Madden fans that just want one thing - a great f'ing game.
In all honesty it shouldnt take long at all. APF did it in 1 year. To me that is the best game play football game ever created. I am talking in terms of when you kick the ball off to the time the clock reads :00 at the end of the 4th quarter.

I just dont know why its taken EA so long. Maybe one day it will be a pretty good game, but i do know that there is no way on this earth i am buying next years Madden. I spent 60 bucks to play 09 for about 10 days total.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
These are not the people I want designing my games--little wangstas from Philly.
Little wangs?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Wannabe gangsta: wangsta.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:

Ian--I want to thank you for responding directly to this post. It's not something you have to do, so I appreciate your time.

As I've said before, I really, really want Madden to be good. I'm dying for the game to get to a point where I'll spend $60 on it. Hopefully next year is the year.

You have a great vision and are in a helluva position to make this game a quality football game. What I saw in that tourney video just shouldn't happen in a real football game. If a QB hurdled repeatedly on the goal line, he'd wind up with a rib injury. The A and B gaps are far too easy to get through in that example (and the same for the FB dive); it's like the DL doesn't know how to gap control.

The other thing that really stood out to me was how stiff and unnatural the player movement looked. The players are still a bit hulked up, and they run like they have an obstruction in their rectal area. I would love to see Madden get the kind of movement out of the players that the "other game" has--those players feel like their feet are on the ground, they don't cut on a dime and accelerate so quickly, etc.

It really seems like you have the drive--I just wish EA would hire more of you. And I'm very glad that the tourney crowd isn't working on this game. IMO, they can go play NFL Tour or something .
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #80
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

So far I feel the core issue with Madden has been a focus towards the Madden brand of football and not the NFL brand of football. Over the years Madden has created its own virtual world of football where blocking is an after thought, players can turn on dimes, injuries and fatigue are only barely factored in and big offensive plays are key. By catering to the easiest market (which they have done by constantly ignoring these aforementioned aspects amongst many others), EA have created a monster; their own brand of football kinda like the Arena League is to the NFL that too many 'easy-to-please' customers actually like, perhaps even more than they like the NFL style of football. I wouldn't be surprised now if more people wished the NFL was more like Madden, rather than the other way around.

Being this deeply in, drastic change will be unlikely, and it's hard to see how drastic change isn't needed. I'm beginning to think the only real solution now is to have two games in one where switches can be turned on and off to make Madden more NFL like.

I hate to bring up 'the deal' again, but when you look at Live 09 and NBA 2K9, it's downright painfull to think what could have been for the NFL gaming genre with a bit of competition. I have a hard time believing even EA can sit back and now say the exclusive NFL license is a good thing for gamers like they have in the past. Not even the Iraqi Information Minister would have the nerve to say that now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »