Home

Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

This is a discussion on Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #89
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Just to follow up on this as I've posted this before, but there are no designers that are former tournament guys on Madden 2010. Hopefully you all will see from my posts (and eventually from the game) that Madden will absolutely NOT be catered to the tournament crowd. Those guys will figure out glitches and exploits no matter what...I'd rather us make the game so that someone can run a real-life offense and beat them instead of having to find 'better' exploits.

Also, dave374, I think this is a great thread. Believe it or not I share many of the same sentiments with you as well.

I am super excited with the position I'm in to make the game into what we all want it to be. It may take a long time, or it may only take a year...I don't really know. But it's a great spot to be - you all have a direct line to the lead designer and I have hundreds or thousands of hardcore Madden fans that just want one thing - a great f'ing game.

Ian aside of the taking a long time quote which scares me, let me fix your quote here. Hopefully this is what you meant to say. "Madden fans that just want one thing, A great Realistic f'ing game."

ahh better..
Old 10-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #90
All Star

OVR: 33

^^^

Yes

We want what we see on TV and at the stadium.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #91
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Well said! I think the real problem now lies in the fact that they've put "band-aids" on gaping wounds....the gameplay was OFF on the first in this generation, and they've upped this or removed that to compensate until the game is just fundamentally broken now. We have things in the game now that appear to mean NOTHING...no fatigue, sliders for penalties that even when cranked ALL the way up, we still only see about three types of penalties called.

And the ratings mean ZILCH! NOTHING.....the only rating that translates on the field is speed...and even that is wonked up because you see linemen running down 90+ speed rated backs.

IMHO, this game is screwed unless they just blow up about 90% of it and start over, since it seems just too complicated for them to repair what is broken. It has had many of the same problems for 2-3 years now.

Also, I think part of the problem lies in the staff at EA. It is one thing to be a football FAN and another being a person that really UNDERSTANDS football. It appears EA is more focused on the "highlight reel" type gameplay and manipulates the on field action in whatever way it needs to to try to replicate that. Just watch the replays....watch what the players do on almost every play, and you'll see some totally oddball crap. Watch the linemen...watch the DB as they "follow" the recievers...watch the no-look, across the field, through the head, QB throws...it just goes on and on.

There are so many fundamental elements of football missing in this game now, it is almost laughable....but hard to laugh if you're a fanatic and it's the only game in town!

Mjenness,

Wow excellent post. Very well said.. Very deep, but all so true.. There lies the whole entire problem. I hope Ian reads your post and really tries to understands it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #92
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGmen56
Ian aside of the taking a long time quote which scares me, let me fix your quote here. Hopefully this is what you meant to say. "Madden fans that just want one thing, A great Realistic f'ing game."

ahh better..

AMEN!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 6

Yeah i also agree with this post.Ive been playing 2k5 for my football
enjoyment.Headcoach is starting to bore me also.Think god for nba 2k9!!!!We take a gamble with our money every year with madden.A demo is a curiosity tease, so we hope the full game is better to only get what the demo offered.funny how the devs arent around to admit this game is a bust.I think all we want is honesty and our money worth for we are the developers of video games too.For a better sounding game i turn off the annoying commentary.

Last edited by sgtspit; 10-16-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #94
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtspit
funny how the devs arent around to admit this game is a bust.
Ian responded to this very thread not 24 hours ago...
Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #95
Rookie

OVR: 6

my bad,didnt see it..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #96
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Speed is the most utter bs in Madden.

The best player on the colts defense is the 70 overall nickelback with 95 speed.

Speed is deadly in the right situation. NOT EVERY SITUATION.

Its ridiculous when a 70 ovr 95 Speed WR is better than a 95 ovr 90 speed receiver.
Haha. Soooo true. Case in point: Renaldo Nehemiah. The thing with video games is that they allow speed to operate regardless of other variables--it is absolute. We all know that Zach Thomas and Ray Lewis aren't blazing fast, but those guys (maybe not Thomas so much now) get to the spot with a quickness and get it done.

By way of contrast, there are plenty of players with stopwatch speed who are slow to make reads, whose speed doesn't translate well to the field. This happens on both sides of the ball.

That's why I think abilities like the ones in APF make more sense. Yes, there's speed, but there's also Run Reader, which is given to guys who may not be speed merchants but find the hole in a heartbeat and blow up the ballcarrier. And there are guys with Route God, guys who may not be super fast but can separate because they're sharp in and out of their cuts. Guys with straight speed but average route running aren't as successful on many routes, and that's how it should be.

These kinds of considerations need to be made for the next iteration of the game. I don't think the answer is just upping or lowering Awareness ratings. The bandaid compensation cited a few posts back isn't the answer--a new conception of how to represent skill on the field is. IMHO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »