Home

Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

This is a discussion on Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

I think it is absurd the OP has to be concerned about being flamed for expressing his opinion. He is a paying consumer bottom line with the right to express his opinion. I completely concur with him also, its not representative of an nfl simulation and never has been, no different for this installment. Football in a morgue just does not cut it for 60 dollars. No cpu sliders, the list goes on and on. The best thing that came from this game was the frustration that lead me to update rosters on the "other game" That 2.00 I spent has 500 times the enjoyment and that's with a 4-5 year old game lol. At least they let me trade it in at my local store, being that it is essentially worthless in my estimation I was happy to take the 35.00 credit and apply it to another game that is actually worth a f***.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:49 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 28

Holy crap. Countryboy has seen the light. This is an epic day indeed.

When you first turn on Madden and start playing, you think to yourself. Hey, this game isnt half bad. It has some potential, then after a few days of playing it, you realize how bad it is. Like CB said, they are going in the right direction, but they are far from any goal on the game. There is nothing that sucks you into the game.

If you play 10 games in Madden, you have seen everything. Every animation, just about everything that game has to offer. It just doesnt keep you wanting to come back to keep playing. I lasted about 12 days before i just couldnt do it anymore. Once in a while when my nephew is over, he fires it up and he loves the game, but he's only 10 years old. (yeah, i know, their target audience). hehe, quick cheap shot, sorry.

Anyways, i am serioulsy thinking of trading it in next week and paying the difference for Fallout 3.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 10

I am on the same boat. Me , Bro-in law, uncle and good friend used to love getting together every week to get are 4 man co-op Franchise going. And ever since NEXT GEN its either been not available (06/07) or just too boring (08/09).

I just made a thread that should have probably just been in this thread cause it echo's this post.

I LOVE FOOTBALL! And want to play madden but I just cant do it cause I dont see NFL Football in it. I put it in and try hard to get through a game but between the robo qb %'s the non exsistance of the CPU running game and the big killer lack of difference between the different teams I play.

ITs a sad day when I am playing a sport game that I dont even watch or care for waaaaaaaaaaaay more (NHL09) than the game that I played and loved since it all started on the CPU.

I have been one of EA's biggest fans ever and always spoke against all the (what I though were haters) But I have finally come to relize that it really is not hating it is telling it like it is. A game that was once great is not getting better than what it once was. Its getting better than its last years game but still does not play as fun as the ps2/xbox versions. I played the living snot out of those games. I very rarely touch my next gen maddens after the first month.

I hope Ian really turns this series around and holds true on promises. Cause this " This Madden is gonna be the best ever" bull no longer fly's by me. ANd I personaly know many who feel the same way. Eventually enough is enough but I feel like we are being tested and $60 isnt alot of $$$ to most so we say what the hell buy it anyways and fall victim to the great marketing schemes.

Its so funny cause I used to bash the daylights out of everything 2K. But they really did some things right and although I still prefer madden to 2k football. Madden is still way behind on alot of things 2k5 had done already. And when I look at NBA2K9 it resembles NBA basketball. It looks Authentic. When you see Lebron James he looks and plays like Lebron James. Sorry I got off topic a little.

Last edited by kmart2180; 10-14-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #12
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness

It sure sucks for real football enthusiasts looking for something that resembles a sim. Now, if you're looking for a fun, arcade style game, then it is great.

It's not even that. Despite NCAA 09's flaws it's at least fun at times. Maybe Blitz the League II or whatever sequel it is will be the best next gen football game out this year. That's sad. This has actually dampened my enthusiasm for the real NFL season and I'll probably be following the NBA closer while I'm playing it's version of a great sports game.
Only two months in and Madden is headed for the trade-in bin.

Last edited by speedkills; 10-14-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 7

I couldn't agree with you guys more. I want to love Madden 09 so much, but it's just... dull. Everyone's repeatedly enumerated and listed its flaws, but the bottom line is that it does not feel like football. I even wanted to cut EA slack about the development cycles' limitations and how the time constraints hold them back from truly producing a complete game, but that's really unacceptable. They have the only license to make a video game representation of the most popular professional sport in the United States, and they are failing at the single, most basic concept of that contract: they are not representing the NFL.

There's so much they could do with this game, so many countless details and nuances that would catapult it into a different tier of quality. Look at all the amazing games that are being produced now, from sports titles like NBA 2K series to MLB 08: The Show to non-sports titles like Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and GTA IV. Just think of the depth and amount of details that are saturated in those games, and yet we as hungry football fans ask merely for unbroken gameplay and the basic tenets of the sport we love to only be put into the game supposedly representing it.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

CB is correct.

There isn't anything that draws you in each and every week.

Let's hope that Ian/Phil right the ship.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Holy crap. Countryboy has seen the light. This is an epic day indeed.
I wouldn't call it epic. I played the PS2 version over the PS3 last year as well. It just took longer for '09 to bore me to the change. '08's 30fps and turnover fest, pretty much made me make the change within the first 3 weeks.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Also agree. Been playing Madden since 89, and the "next-gen" football is really a big disappointment. CB has it right, no atmosphere, dull, lets see, is it a "first down? - lets zoom to the scoreboard to get the measurement"...WTF - wheres the chain gang, refs on field..it took them 4 years to get FG nets in the game, and an announcing "team", Madden 09 for PS3 great eye candy, or just the wrapper? Not to mention everything else missing from the Ps3 version..

I took CB;s advice , purchased PS2 version, and I will update the other thread he has w/my findings, but heavily recommended. Totally was immersed in the game last night, refs, first down markers, Madden/Michaels, and the graphics on my Samsung LCD looked good to me. (admittedly not like PS3, but darn good!)

If its in the game, its in the PS2 version

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »