Home

Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

This is a discussion on Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #265
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
^^^

Thats not fair.

Ea Canada has does an impressive job with Fifa 09. Its a really good game imo.

Ea can certainly make good games.

It begs the question: Why isn't madden as good?
Answer: Because it has no competition. I don't care what anyone says. That's the reason. Madden made its greatest strides when they had 2K to contend with. They can get away with a FIFA exclusive because PES/Winning Eleven is plenty competition for them, and has been for years. In fact, despite EA's FIFA license, Konami consistently whooped EA's @$$es until EA started pulling it together. Now, EA's game is arguably better than Konami's. Do you think FIFA would be as good if Konami went away? I don't.

Same thing on the NHL front. 2K's game made EA's look silly from 2001 until 2007. EA had to do something if they wanted back in. So what did they do? They've made, for two years in a row, what are easily the finest hockey games ever made, and arguably a couple of the best sports games ever made. Do you think that would have happened if 2K went away? I don't.

No one wants NFL-style football without the NFL license. 2K's All-Pro proved that. Soccer is a different animal, as Konami proved. The bottom line is this: No competition, no innovation. Necessity is the mother of invention, and all that.

The NFL license exclusivity was the worst thing that ever happened to Madden, from a player's perspective (it's obviously a brilliant financial move. Who wouldn't want to get paid millions of dollars for doing nothing?). Do you really think that it's just a coincedence that the quality of the gameplay has been in a tailspin since the exclusive license was acquired?

I don't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #266
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
Answer: Because it has no competition. I don't care what anyone says. That's the reason. Madden made its greatest strides when they had 2K to contend with. They can get away with a FIFA exclusive because PES/Winning Eleven is plenty competition for them, and has been for years. In fact, despite EA's FIFA license, Konami consistently whooped EA's @$$es until EA started pulling it together. Now, EA's game is arguably better than Konami's. Do you think FIFA would be as good if Konami went away? I don't.

Same thing on the NHL front. 2K's game made EA's look silly from 2001 until 2007. EA had to do something if they wanted back in. So what did they do? They've made, for two years in a row, what are easily the finest hockey games ever made, and arguably a couple of the best sports games ever made. Do you think that would have happened if 2K went away? I don't.

No one wants NFL-style football without the NFL license. 2K's All-Pro proved that. Soccer is a different animal, as Konami proved. The bottom line is this: No competition, no innovation. Necessity is the mother of invention, and all that.

The NFL license exclusivity was the worst thing that ever happened to Madden, from a player's perspective (it's obviously a brilliant financial move. Who wouldn't want to get paid millions of dollars for doing nothing?). Do you really think that it's just a coincedence that the quality of the gameplay has been in a tailspin since the exclusive license was acquired?

I don't.

whats funny is how we forget, the first thing alot of people said when the exclusive deal went down was will the quality of madden suffer without competition.

I read alot of articles and on most message boards, this was the biggest question.

Then, the 1st game released with the exclusive license, Madden 06 on the 360. Possible the worst sports game to date. Now 4 years later, we are essentially still playing Madden 06 with updated rosters, loss of color saturation, some new animations. The same superstar mode, franchise and game modes are there.

If anyone believes EA releases Madden 06 in the condition it was released in with 2K releasing a game needs to have their head examined. I dont even think they would have made Madden 06 next gen with competition.

The fact that we cant blatantly see what no competition has done for madden gives credence to the damage control ea has done. most of us buy off on what they say alot of times. The current pitch is that the last development crew was messed up, we buy off and hope for the best, at the end of the day these guys are doing what they can to make us feel like we are playing a legit game, innovation or anything resembling that is not even on their minds at this point.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #267
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

^^^^So why was NBA Live released in its condition? It had competition from 2k. Is it time for that head examination? Cuz i believe we would essentially be playing what we are.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #268
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Honestly, Madden's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
Great Post! Good to hear real opinions from football gaming fans.

I agree with most what everyone has said. The root of the problem with Madden is the culture of EA. Let's review the history when Madden had competition:

1.Late 90s: Fans saw the use of polygons in other sports games like Sony's Basketball Series. Madden Fans wanted the same from EA for their football game , but what did EA say back then : Polygon players in a football game can't be done, it would take too much memory and slow down the game , making it unplayable. So what happens, 989 Sony releases Gameday which had Polygon model football players. And if I remember correctly, that game was just awesome to play. With this competition, it blows EA's claim out of the water and the next year we get polygon model players in madden.

2.Early 2000s : We see all these other games starting to use online. Even on dial up. We want Madden online, how awesome that would be. EA says it can't be done with dial up. What happens. the competition, Sega, releases their 2k game online on the Dreamcast. Even dial up, the game plays exceptionally smooth. Blows another one of EA's excuses out of the water. With the competition, EA releases madden on ps2 in it's 2nd/3rd installment for that system with online capabilities.

I'm sure I"m missing more, but those were the 2 things that came to mind where EA's bull**** excuses to make their football game better were blown out of the water by competition. I look at the masterpiece that is NBA 2K9 and I think to myself why can't Madden be like this? If we had to label Madden as a scout would label a football prospect, we'd label it a 'tweener'. Someone good enough for college but can't cut it in the pros. It feels, look, plays like it's stuck somewhere in a imaginary console between the ps2/xbox and PS3/XBOX360. As you guys said, I look at other games on the next gen systems and see how those games are using the power of these systems. Madden sure isn't.

If it wasn't for competition in the past to push madden, we probably would be playing the same Madden 2D genesis/snes looking type of game on our ps3's and 360s. We would ask them to upgrade everything, but probably get some b.s. excuses from EA.
Excellent point with excellent support.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #269
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
^^^^So why was NBA Live released in its condition? It had competition from 2k. Is it time for that head examination? Cuz i believe we would essentially be playing what we are.
Sometimes people, companies, teams, simply put out bad efforts; that happens from time to time. Even when there was competition in the football gaming genre, there were stupid football video games on the market. Some developers just suck; EA sports on the other hand was one of the first, if not the first to make football video games. Madden has been around for decades. They have the ability and the resources(money) to make a good football video game. Want they don't have, is incentive to do so.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #270
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
Sometimes people, companies, teams, simply put out bad efforts; that happens from time to time. Even when there was competition in the football gaming genre, there were stupid football video games on the market. Some developers just suck; EA sports on the other hand was one of the first, if not the first to make football video games. Madden has been around for decades. They have the ability and the resources(money) to make a good football video game. Want they don't have, is incentive to do so.
I agree,Sonny Jerguson was asked a few days ago about how could Jason Campbell become a better QB,Sonny said this was line and it stuck out to me.He said "He has to want to be great".

This is why NFL 2k5 is a legend and will always be brought up in the disscusion when all time best football/sports video games of all time and is still being played to this day,cause you can see how bad 2k5 wanted to prove they were the best.EA has to want to live up to its reputation,cause right now its getting runied.Thats what seperates the average from the great.The great one do anything they have to and need to,to become the best.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #271
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
This year's NBA Live is pretty damn good imo. Much more enjoyable than any of the Maddens. It's taken them awhile, but they've done well this time.

Last edited by ChiTownKid; 01-01-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #272
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
This year's NBA Live is pretty damn good imo. Much more enjoyable than any of the Maddens. It's taken them awhile, but they've done well this time.
Rite. But when Live wasn't good, it had plenty off competition. I really dont think Madden is suffering because of lack of competition. I just isn't progressing at the rate we want. i don't think lack of competition is that. EA has more of a rep for changing the way WE play the game (Hit Stick, Freestyle Controls, Rock and Fire Batting/Pitching. Not the way the GAME plays. But they are working on the latter (FIFA, NHL, NBA). We just have to wait to Madden gets there.

Last edited by phant030; 01-01-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: additions

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »