Home

Do you think Madden's gameplay is "broken"?

This is a discussion on Do you think Madden's gameplay is "broken"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Madden simply too broken to repair?
Yes, it's TOTALLY broken and needs to start from scratch 41 39.05%
Yes, it is broken in SOME areas, but only needs tweaks 39 37.14%
No, not enough problems to call it broken 23 21.90%
No, not at all, it is fine as is 2 1.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Do you think Madden's gameplay is "broken"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Broken is a bad word to use in this scenario. The game works. The definition of broken is that it does not work.

The game plays as the producers intended it too. Everything thats in the game isn't there by accident. Its just that we hate everything thats in the game.

Heck I'd be happy with current-gen game with next-gen graphics.

The execution of ideas is bad in madden. Labelling the game as broken is incredibly harsh and imo wrong. The game is just not condusive to the smaller sim community.
Thats why i said parts of the game are broken. It plays, but it doesnt play up to next gen standards imo.

Like i said in my post above what really gets me is the ball physics and how it flies through the air, its not realistic whatsoever.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 11

Wow, someone actually voted "it is fine as it is"......Ian, is that you????
Old 10-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #19
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

I Voted broken and needs to be completely redone.

You can polish a turd all day long, at the end of the day, its still a turn, and still stinks.

From the gate(Madden 06) on next gen this game was broke. All they do as add last GEN features and "new animations" which throw something else off. Last year its interceptions and fumbles, this year its robo qb, no oline play/running game issues. And now different people are working on the game, updateing what someone else created, it just doesnt look good unless the people who are making the game make thier own game. Its not neccessarily IAN, and the guys doing it now, they are jacked from the guys that made this game the passed 3 years before they got there. Like I said, IAN can come in and really focus on making the gameplay tight but i dont think its going to work since hes polishing a turd at this point.

whoever hired those guys that made madden 06/07 quite simply "made a bad investment" now they are just going to do damage control/ make the best of it, until its time to try and make thier money back and re-invest( the next next-gen)
Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #20
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

whats with the "polishing turds" analogies? Not once in my life have I ever, or ever even considered, polishing a turd.

This post is not intended to belittle those who've used the analogy nor is it intended to debate someone's negative opinion of Madden and its current state.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
whats with the "polishing turds" analogies? Not once in my life have I ever, or ever even considered, polishing a turd.

This post is not intended to belittle those who've used the analogy nor is it intended to debate someone's negative opinion of Madden and its current state.
that's why EA didn't hire you when you applied, CB!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
I Voted broken and needs to be completely redone.

You can polish a turd all day long, at the end of the day, its still a turn, and still stinks.

From the gate(Madden 06) on next gen this game was broke. All they do as add last GEN features and "new animations" which throw something else off. Last year its interceptions and fumbles, this year its robo qb, no oline play/running game issues. And now different people are working on the game, updateing what someone else created, it just doesnt look good unless the people who are making the game make thier own game. Its not neccessarily IAN, and the guys doing it now, they are jacked from the guys that made this game the passed 3 years before they got there. Like I said, IAN can come in and really focus on making the gameplay tight but i dont think its going to work since hes polishing a turd at this point.

whoever hired those guys that made madden 06/07 quite simply "made a bad investment" now they are just going to do damage control/ make the best of it, until its time to try and make thier money back and re-invest( the next next-gen)
It reminds me of how 2k has been unable to get their MLB series to play a decent game of baseball since they rebuilt the engine after 2k4. Every year they tweak it and every year it's a mediocre, unsatisfying game. It looks better 99% of the time but the game itself just isn't very good.

I don't think EA's intentions have necessarily been wrong with Madden but they seem lost at this point. The new engine seems capable of things that the old one wasn't but after four years they still haven't gotten a handle on it. I guess there's always next year but after four attempts I don't see why number five will be any different.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think you could repair all of that broken parts of the game but it will be a lot of work...
the "little" problems...

-no pc running game (the pc jukes are driving me nuts... i have everything at zero on running difficulty but he was just one time over 45 yards in all 16 games in one season...)
-robo QB on both sides (the good thing is its the first time Zone defence is usefull)
-no different feeling between WR everyone can catch every ball
-no O-line blocking (AI is completly broken)
-nearly every animation looks strange if you compare it to real football especially the running....looks like a marching soldier...
-WHY the hell ist that 360 catch still in the game i never saw a receiver doing that in my 15 years watching football...and it pops up nearly at 50%( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayw-OO-xe_)
-200 catch animations? i just saw about 30 in 3 complete seasons playing.

But animations look awfull in every next generation sportsgame made by EA. Just compare the animations of nba 2k9 and nba live 09 it's just sad and funny...
only game that had good animations was fifa 08 but in 09 everything looks fast-forward
Old 10-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 14

1- Fix the O-line and D-line interaction so that the CPU and HUM can have a realistic run game
2- Fix franchise mode ... it has become VERY stale!
3- Add some presentation

The basic game is good, but until they take care of these issues, it will never be any more than just good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »