Home

Do you think Madden's gameplay is "broken"?

This is a discussion on Do you think Madden's gameplay is "broken"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Madden simply too broken to repair?
Yes, it's TOTALLY broken and needs to start from scratch 41 39.05%
Yes, it is broken in SOME areas, but only needs tweaks 39 37.14%
No, not enough problems to call it broken 23 21.90%
No, not at all, it is fine as is 2 1.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
Do you think Madden's gameplay is "broken"?

I read many threads here and it appears a great number of people think Madden, in it's current state, is simply broken and needs a TOTAL re-do. Do you agree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Do you think Madden's gameplay is "broken"?

I don't think its "broken" in the manner in which the game is unplayable. The gameplay isn't bad, its just boring. Madden is a good game, not a great game. They really need to add the "little things" that really draw people into the game.

The lack of atmosphere is the reason that I quit playing the game. The game is playable, just not enjoyable.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I don't think its "broken" in the manner in which the game is unplayable. The gameplay isn't bad, its just boring. Madden is a good game, not a great game. They really need to add the "little things" that really draw people into the game.

The lack of atmosphere is the reason that I quit playing the game. The game is playable, just not enjoyable.

I can agree in some respects, CB, mainly because of the post I read from Ian about there being over 200 catch animations currently in the game, but for some reason only a few are showing through. Makes me wonder if the same problems exist for penalties, challenges by the CPU, etc.

And yeah, the atmosphere is just putrid...worst I've seen (or heard) in a game since the early consoles. But, there are some glaring issues that made me want to snap the disk in half at times because I KNOW EA is capable of so much better.

I'd think perhaps it may be easier to scrap it and start over, since they seemingly just can't get it right with this version...and maybe never will this generation.

Last edited by MJenness; 10-14-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Rookie

swetooth9's Arena

OVR: 3

i've only played madden a few times (dont own it, own ncaa 09 though), and i thought it was fine..what's wrong with it?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
I can agree in some respects, CB, mainly because of the post I read rom ian about there being over 200 catch animations currently in the game, but for some reason only a few are showing through. Makes me wonder if the same problems exist for penalties, challenges by the CPU, etc.

And yeah, the atmosphere is just putrid...worst I've seen (or heard) in a game since the early consoles. But, there are some glaring issues that made me want to snap the disk in half at times because I KNOW EA is capable of so much better.

I'd think perhaps it may be easier to scrap it and start over, since they seemingly just can't get it right with this version...and maybe never will this generation.
Don't get me wrong, there are more than enough bumps and bruises with the gameplay itself that will drive even the most diehard Maddenite up a wall (poor OL interaction, questionable AI playcalling/clock management, cpu RB's ghost juking for no reason whatsoever, etc..) but despite all these issues, the game is still good. Madden has a lot of good things in it and a lot of things they can build upon. As I've stated before on this board, Madden '09 is the first game of the NG series that really gives me the impression that they have a foundation that they can build upon. Unfortunately, its now the 4th installment of the series with probably less than a hands worth of fingers left to be released on today's consoles.

My hope is that they get a solid game from top to bottom like they had on LG, and then port that engine over to the next interiation of consoles. I believe that we'll see a game that is great within this series, simply because I believe honestly that Ian and Phil are too dedicated and too involved with us to not reach that level. However, I don't think we'll see a game in this cycle that is a landmark release so to speak, where people are discussing it several years after its release..ala 2k5 and for Madden fans, Madden 2005.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 25

It is broken. It needs to be rebuilt like the Chiefs.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 10

To me its broken. Since next gen I have not cared long for either of the last 4 installments (after the first 1-2 weeks). The game has to many problems. To many reasons not to play it. Its doesn't portray the NFL at all to me. The game has simply lost it's fun factor. I never had that problem with the last gen versions.

I would love to see what a ported PS2 version with all the bells/whistles and next gen graphics. I think they would hit gold kinda the way NBA2K has.

Like I've said before the foundation is broken because it was rushed (06 version). And now they are still trying to recover from that. Building upon a sloppy foundation is never a safe thing to do. Almost every aspect of the game needs to be rewritten/recoded.

Teams need to play like themselves. There is a big difference in just agressiveness alone in the Steelers compared to the Saints. In Madden you would never know it cause all teams play alike.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

I dont believe it is broken, but does need work. O line and D line interaction is weak, LB's run blitzing and seem to go thru 300 lb lineman standing in front of them. FB's making the wrong reads and running away from the hole to make a phantom block instead of going into the hole and blocking the LB that they are supposed to block by the play design, come on.

Presentation still needs the most work IMO, we will never have the best football game of all time without presentation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »