Home

"BackTracked" to the PS2 version !

This is a discussion on "BackTracked" to the PS2 version ! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: "BackTracked" to the PS2 version !

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
I would have to agree with the OP. Not that I want to start an "Last Gen War" but the difference between the consoles then and now is virtually slim or non-existent.

I don't own an HD TV so I am still in the dark as far as any of that goes.
Well, I am not trying to start a war but I will agree that the difference then and now is "slim" but it definitely is not "non-existant". The differences are just enough that if you own both systems (either NG or LG) you typically would want to pick the one that was a little better. If you only owned one system, then the whatever little benefit there was didn;t warrant puchasing another system.

I won't argue this point but I do have a 360 and a PS3 (blu-ray primarily) and the newest EA football games play a little more fluent on the 360 and the colors are more vibrant. This is a slim difference, but still enough that I bought the 360 version because of it. Same was true for me in the PS2/Xbox era.

The only reason I am considering Madden 09 for PS2 instead of the original Xbox is that I am hoping the PS3 softens the jaggies and honestly, I just don;t necessarily want to buy an xbox game anymore as my system is 7 years old and if it breaks....I ain;t buying another!

Still....if I was a betting man I'd say that the xbox verions of 09 would still look slightly better than the ps2 verions of 09 on the original ps2. Hopefully the PS3 evens out the playing field anyway.

Finally, since most of you are playing it on the Ps2/PS3 I figure there is a better chance of roster and sliders being up to date.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

Steeler99. I couldnt agree more.

The LAST thing I wanted to do was downgrade my state of art entertainment system visually.. Still looks good on PS2, but, yeah, the whole NFL exclusive license (which when you cut to the chase )is the NFLs' fault, (EA made a business proposal, and NFL went for the $$$).

I heavily tweaked the PS3 game (see EDit QB ACC to fix RoboQB thread -some people having great results) - but once I got it to where I wanted it, I realized just how boring, removed and uninteresting it was...as well as missing 1000 features..and we wont even go into the awful gameplay now.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

I backtracked and had some bad results, here are my issues (Im on PS2 non upscaled)

1. Pauses before play select screen

2. Slowdown during gameplay.

3. Blurriness during gameplay, sometimes so blurry (jaggies?) it affected gameplay (couldn't see what was going on)

4. Defensive players move too fast, some people like this but it makes for some weird defensive gameplay

5. Most runs that clear the line of scrimmage go for 8 yards (too much)

6. Small field (10 yard increments are too short)

7. Streak routes too easy, this is one thing next gen has right, streak routes are out of control on last gen. Some games I played online consisted of both of us only going for streaks all game, fun.

8. Due to all these factors, the offense is a little too powerful and fair play is required to keep the scores out of the 40's and 50's.

9. Players get stuck on each other, let me give an example. Let's say I am running a crossing route and the db is chasing my wr. If the MLB fades back into a zone, my wr gets stuck on him and I have to wait a few seconds for him to continue the route. This is pass interference, but really it's just a bug.

And the list goes on... Basically at this point this game is only slightly better than next gen and that's debatable (due to the streak route issue), the offense being out of control is one reason fairplay is still required (the other is the small field). This game is not the solution everyone makes it out to be as next gen has surpassed it in some areas even. I would say it beats next gen in some areas, but that doesn't change the fact that both games suck. I personally thing next gen is the better of the two...

Last edited by cdon2k; 10-17-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
I backtracked and had some bad results, here are my issues (Im on PS2 non upscaled)

1. Pauses before play select screen

2. Slowdown during gameplay.

3. Blurriness during gameplay, sometimes so blurry (jaggies?) it affected gameplay (couldn't see what was going on)

4. Defensive players move too fast, some people like this but it makes for some weird defensive gameplay

5. Most runs that clear the line of scrimmage go for 8 yards (too much)

6. Small field (10 yard increments are too short)

7. Streak routes too easy, this is one thing next gen has right, streak routes are out of control on last gen. Some games I played online consisted of both of us only going for streaks all game, fun.

8. Due to all these factors, the offense is a little too powerful and fair play is required to keep the scores out of the 40's and 50's.

9. Players get stuck on each other, let me give an example. Let's say I am running a crossing route and the db is chasing my wr. If the MLB fades back into a zone, my wr gets stuck on him and I have to wait a few seconds for him to continue the route. This is pass interference, but really it's just a bug.

And the list goes on... Basically at this point this game is only slightly better than next gen and that's debatable (due to the streak route issue), the offense being out of control is one reason fairplay is still required (the other is the small field). This game is not the solution everyone makes it out to be as next gen has surpassed it in some areas even. I would say it beats next gen in some areas, but that doesn't change the fact that both games suck. I personally thing next gen is the better of the two...
We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't have any of those issues that you mentioned. And in my opinion, the PS2 version is the better, more complete game of the two. Maybe we have two completely different opinions due to the fact that you were playing online.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

cdon2k - respect your opinion..

However, disagree in some areas. My guess "Fair PLay" is competing against others on-line. I just use Franchise mode, maybe that explains some things you said.

I have no blurriness whatsoever . I'm really please at the graphics, I was initially scared..

Streak routes are a definite prob on PS3 too. I have a money-play I hit 90% of time for 60 yards...However, I tried same play on PS2, it was double covered and picked (I deserved it).

Small field - 10 yards, dont understand? Your view? Its customizable..I get to see about 40 yards at a time.

Defense fast, well ps2 off and def are both faster, as is gameplay.

players getting stuck, well max out your penalties, and Im sure it would be called. I've had players on ps3 get stuck too (mainly cb on crossing routes).

The slowdown occurs around play call time.true.. it took me a game to get use too.

At least the ps2 lets you control the def line (what is up w/ps3 OL/DL line play? sliders dont help..you might as well just put your controller on the coffee table..

Heres hoping (yet again) 2010 will bring us a good High-Def game. For now I'm satisfied..
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah, a lot of game's flaws come out when users are constantly trying to exploit the game, but some things are there regardless. The streak is just too damn easy, that is a game killer to me, among other things.

Additionally, I think some aspects of next gen are more "sim" due to the fact that Ian has been listening to us, such as the streak and running issues. The pace of the game (how fast players move and whatnot) also seem to be less arcadey in next gen.

I left one HUGE issue out of my list and that is the playbooks, going back to those simplified non team specific playbooks was crushing when trying to backtrack.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

So does the CPU on PS2 version actually establish a good running game? Do they establish a good passing game without ROBO-QB? No super LB leaps and magic DB with eyes int eh back of their head?

Like most of us, I was initially impressed how the NG CPU would establsih long drives completing dink and duck passes....but eventually it became obvious that this was done so consistently and with so much robotic precision that it became boring. According to bigpapa even after you tweak all QB ratings and roboQB is tamed down, the game still seems boring.

I'd really just like a great playing game of football. I am still high on NFL2k5 but find that the AI for the CPU offense gets a little repetetive and robotic in a different way than Madden09 360. It can;t seem to establish anything. Is Madden for PS2 really that much more dynamic? I don't expect the CPU AI to emulate a real team exactly, but I expect something better than what we are getting currently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Yeah, a lot of game's flaws come out when users are constantly trying to exploit the game, but some things are there regardless. The streak is just too damn easy, that is a game killer to me, among other things.

Additionally, I think some aspects of next gen are more "sim" due to the fact that Ian has been listening to us, such as the streak and running issues. The pace of the game (how fast players move and whatnot) also seem to be less arcadey in next gen.

I left one HUGE issue out of my list and that is the playbooks, going back to those simplified non team specific playbooks was crushing when trying to backtrack.
I wish that I could complete the streak as easily as you, because I am having a hell of a time completing it.

And I prefer the LG playbooks to the PS3. In my opinion, there is more variety in the LG playbooks vs the next gen.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »