Home

Are games too long?

This is a discussion on Are games too long? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Are games too long?

As some have already responded, the magic words are in-game saves. The time it takes to play a game of Madden (or NCAA) is more than acceptable to me.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 24

Like someone said before, the game feels really long because it's so boring. No immersion, no presentation. Hammond's voice is pretty bad (Collinsworth good) and the game is a chore to play due to its numerous problems (including presentation). I tried playing a game of Madden the other day and got bored after 2-3 plays. Didn't feel anything like real football.

Don't "shorten the game." That'll only make everyone here more pissed, considering a lot of people play with 8-10 minute quarters.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 8

In-game saves and accelerated clock would really help with length offline. I also think you could have an option (not the default) to play a really quick, streamlined game -- think NFL Shortcuts on DirecTV. Cut out all the frills, and even have the teams start at the line of scrimmage after calling the play. That would be nice when you want to get a quick franchise game in, but still want to play all the plays.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Use the real clock rules and you'll speed it up.
Amen to that!
Throw in the accelerated clock and in-game saves and you are GOLDEN! Both were absolutely perfect. The acc. clock because of its realism to an actual NFL game and in-game saves because like you say, not everyone has the time to sit down for an hour plus and play Madden consecutively.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Before looking at "tv broadcast" issues! PLEASE fix gameplay (run game, o-line/d-line interaction). That should be #1 priority.
I agree with you that gameplay should be a priority. However, this is a thread about how the game feels, and in my opinion, flawless gameplay wouldn't hold my interest as much if there is no atmosphere and presentation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #22
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Ian it's like you're reading my mind. Yes, the games are too long (I AM SPEAKING OF ONLINE). You hit the nail on the head when you compared Madden's length to competing sports games... I can barely get a game in without my wife getting crabby Madden just seems like such a chore to play due to the required hour of play. This wasn't such a problem on last gen due to the 4 minute quarters, but I am not sure that is the answer. Would accelerated clock do the trick?

I am thinking there needs to be cuts in online play. Here are my suggestions:

1. 5 second quick timer for coin flip (if a player can't select in 3 seconds, auto select.

2. Right to game after coin flip - no introduction, no fireworks that we skip anyways, go right to the game.

3. Go right to 3rd quarter after 2nd quarter - You can never watch the halftime videos anyway, someone always skips them.

4. I can't believe I am saying this after the 08 debacle, but shorten the defensive pick play timer - only by a few seconds though because we still need to pick our plays - one way to do this would be to go back to the 06/07 playcalling screen that had like 8 plays up at once.

5. Cut the post post game show. By the time I actually get through this marathon of a game, I really don't even want to look through videos or stats.

6. Cut the number of online pauses - please do this! I am fine with one time someone getting up to use the restroom, but people try and multiple pauses to get you to quit the game lol.

Now some will go crazy because I am speaking of cutting a lot of the presentation of the game, but I am speaking of online only. Madden needs a streamlined version of the game when playing online. Having an option to play this mode offline would be nice as well. Please implement this as I would like to stay a Madden gamer, but all the games issues combined with the time that is required to play is kind of driving me away

Cdon
Old 10-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Ian it's like you're reading my mind. Yes, the games are too long (I AM SPEAKING OF ONLINE). You hit the nail on the head when you compared Madden's length to competing sports games... I can barely get a game in without my wife getting crabby Madden just seems like such a chore to play due to the required hour of play. This wasn't such a problem on last gen due to the 4 minute quarters, but I am not sure that is the answer. Would accelerated clock do the trick?

I am thinking there needs to be cuts in online play. Here are my suggestions:

1. 5 second quick timer for coin flip (if a player can't select in 3 seconds, auto select.

2. Right to game after coin flip - no introduction, no fireworks that we skip anyways, go right to the game.

3. Go right to 3rd quarter after 2nd quarter - You can never watch the halftime videos anyway, someone always skips them.

4. I can't believe I am saying this after the 08 debacle, but shorten the defensive pick play timer - only by a few seconds though because we still need to pick our plays - one way to do this would be to go back to the 06/07 playcalling screen that had like 8 plays up at once.

5. Cut the post post game show. By the time I actually get through this marathon of a game, I really don't even want to look through videos or stats.

6. Cut the number of online pauses - please do this! I am fine with one time someone getting up to use the restroom, but people try and multiple pauses to get you to quit the game lol.

Now some will go crazy because I am speaking of cutting a lot of the presentation of the game, but I am speaking of online only. Madden needs a streamlined version of the game when playing online. Having an option to play this mode offline would be nice as well. Please implement this as I would like to stay a Madden gamer, but all the games issues combined with the time that is required to play is kind of driving me away

Cdon
Ian, fyi don't do any of these things. Acc clock is what needs to be implemented.
24-8 Madden 12 Record.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #24
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

forgot to mention that the length of these games increases the possibly of a disconnect from the EA servers as well The longer the game, the bigger chance that the player will have a disconnect during the game.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »