Home

Are games too long?

This is a discussion on Are games too long? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #57
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Are games too long?

(based on NCAA)

I play 7 minute quarters just so my games don't go over an hour in length. I don't want to play longer than that. I do like the fact you can play other games in a much quicker fashion but there is no real way to speed up a football game. People can simply reduce the number of minutes in a quarter if they want.

I will echo what others have said, "IN GAME SAVES!". As a 36 year old with a wife and two kids, there are a lot of times when I only have a 1/2 an hour to play and it sucks not to be able to play a dynasty/franchise game since I know I won't be able to finish it. You guys had it for Madden on the PS2 years ago and the Show added it to the PS3 this year. Please, please, please add it to all of your football titles next year.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #58
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
After playing quite a bit of FIFA and NHL lately, I realize a big part of the reason that I keep going back is that I can squeeze games in when I don't have much time. On average, each of those games are well under 20 minutes, whereas the majority of my Madden games (especially online) take at least an hour. Do you all feel that games take too long? Would you want to be able to play online games in 20-30 minutes?
NO..You must throw a lot of incomplete passes and use the whole 40 second playclock when the clock is stopped. 5 minutes is perfect for online games you get a decent amount possessions. I dont want to play a FOOTBALL game where i only get 2 possessions. And that would also intensify the NO HUDDLERS.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 10-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #59
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
5 minute, 4 minute, 3 minute quarter games should not be able to produces games(most of the time) with realistic point totals or yardage. If you're tuning the game to allow this to happen, which always seems to be the case, then the gameplay and A.I. will be subpar, because it will be a case of "Offense rules, Defense drools" once again.
This is the key. EA is trying to get 15 minute qtr stats in 5 minute qtr games. If folks want shorter games, that's what the qtr length option is for, but the consequence is(should be) not getting a full game's worth of stats.

The answer seems simple to me. Allow folks to select their qtr lengths online, from 1-15 minutes. Allow them to turn off accelerated clock(assuming it will be in). Allow them to skip every presentation element or provide an option that eliminates them automatically. Boom! Full game stats in a 3 minute qtr game without effecting those that are not looking for that.

But the most realistic representation of foolball in history won't alienate folks looking for longer games with a realistic number of plays & realistic stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Please don't let choice made for online play, poison the offline play as well.
!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #60
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

If this thread doesn't scare the living **** out of you for 2010 then I don't know what does.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 6

NO!, Ian. I was actually very pleased with this years Madden, because no matter what I tried I coulnt get real stats with 5 min qtrs. I have to play 9 and i like this better, I want my running back with 25 att and 90 yrs not 7 att and 150yds. In short I am hoping that Madden 2010 will allow me to play 15 min acc clock and get perfect NFL SIMULATION games.

As for NHL 09, I think that game is way too quick, 5 min periods take maybe 20 mins to finish the game, I try to play 10 and I get UNREALISTIC STATS like 50 shots on goal and 10 goals per game. I do not like that.

I love NBA 2k9 and all those games take an hour to complete. So no I dont think the games take too long.

If you want to please everyone your going to need two gameplay enigines Arcade and Sim and let us choose at the beginning of the game who we are. Or just make two NFL games (not HC even though I like that one) Have Madden 2010 and EA Sports NFL 2010.

Last edited by Jm0ney2001; 10-21-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #62
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

doesn't NHL have the abiilty to play 20 minute periods, but set them to run faster, much like an accelerated clock? I thought they had the option to have the 20 minutes pass by in 5 min, 10 min or 20 minutes. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry for going off topic and the scattered brain questioning.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #63
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

I don't understand.. there are numerous wishlists threads, and threads created by Ian himself asking us what we would like to see in 2010, and nowhere do I recall more than 1 person asking to make the games shorter like Fifa.

We already have an answer to this problem.. ACC clock, and in-games saves will completely solve this, and make everyone happy at the same time.

Ian, why are you even wasting time with this idea? I just don't get it.
It would be a total waste of resources when they can be used to improve the mountain of Legitimate issues that will really make the game fun.

Man.. its really frustrating to continually see EA/Tiburon so out of touch with what we want, and what will make a great game even after all of the feedback they have been getting.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #64
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

The only other way I could see them doing it is if they did what the Show does and let people choose the level of presentation from low, medium and high. If people turn presentation off - ie. no walking up to the huddle as QB, no post play animations, no replays, no instant replay reviews, no pregame, no halftime, etc. that could reduce some time. But there is just no good way of reducing the time required to play a football game properly imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »