Home

Rome was not built in one day - Madden will not be either

This is a discussion on Rome was not built in one day - Madden will not be either within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Rome was not built in one day - Madden will not be either

Rome wasn't built in a day;

neither is Madden, but they DO have a year to make it...?
Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #58
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Have you played Head Coach 09 yet? Were you happy/unhappy with their CPU playcalling tendencies?

Just asking because we could look at stealing what they have to save some time instead of writing something brand new...
I was very happy with the playcalling tendencies in HeadCoach'09 and I would love to see a more refined version of its logic in Madden'10.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #59
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It's one thing to say we need "Adaptive AI", but what, exactly is it? If it's ratings bonuses because the other team ran the same route too many times like LegacyGen, then thank you, no, I don't want that artificial crap.

People keep demanding adaptive AI, but nobody defines what the hell it is.
Well, I would look at 2K's VIP system as a jumping off point. No ratings boost, just adaptations to your tendencies over time. It's far from perfect, but you gotta start somewhere. I also agree with team tendency sliders, or maybe more specfically coach tendency sliders (and deeper/more effective than those currently in). Teams are just too dynamic with coaching and player changes for just team tendencies to be incorporated.

Adaptive AI is pretty much defined by it's title (I understand that doesn't mean it's defined by individuals that way). It's the CPU adapting. I would love to be torching the CPU with my #1 receiver the first half and have the CPU adjust and make me change strategy for the second. Adaption leading to adaptation. Gotta love it! I'm sure we're still a bit away from perfecting the idea, but I think there are systems (past and present) that can be used as a starting point.

As for Ian's Head Coach reference. I would be happy if they just started by incorporating everything from it (strategy wise) and then work on refining. There are just so many redeeming qualities to that game that could bring Franchise mode and the chess matches that go on in football to life in Madden.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #60
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

People keep demanding adaptive AI, but nobody defines what the hell it is.
Well Adem, I'll take a stab at it. My interpretation of it anyway.

To me, it has nothing to do with a ratings boost. Adaptive AI to me would be were the cpu reacts and adjusts to your tendencies. As an example...if you have the habit, with a short yardage situation, to call an I-Formation run to your left through the A gap...the cpu would track that tendency. The cpu's defense would in turn call a defensive play that would "Crash left", if you called the I-Form.

Possibility an another decent example would be...if your Play action passes were more than likely just that, the cpu would eventually ignore the fake hand off to the RB.

The promising thing to me is...in the age of hard drives being used now PS3/360, that store each play for viewing purposes, I'm wondering if that information could be translated to affect the cpu's play calling? My explanation of Adaptive AI may be kind of clumsy Adem...but I'm far from an expert.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 5

"Rome was not built in one day - Madden will not be either"

True...but, Madden can be built in a year.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #62
Pro

OVR: 7

It's been 4 years FFS and they still can't get it right. It took 4 years to put field goal nets into the game. I STILL can't change my camera view and EA devs go and take out basic features like customizable controls and CPU sliders! The suckers can buy it every year and complain about it. But one thing's for sure, I'm done. At least Fable 2, Fallout 3, and NBA 2k9 makes me forget about Madden, otherwise I would be raging everytime I pick up my controller...
Old 10-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 1

LOL I have more than enough reason to bitch about EA all I want. If you honestly think we're ever going to see a legitimate, complete football game that's worthy of the next-gen systems, you're out of your mind. They have no competition so they will continue to suck our wallets and not think twice about it.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightbarer
To be honest the game isn't really that broken. A few 'tweaks' to gameplay physics and it's good to go on that front.
wow! The game is virtual unplayable imo. I had more fun with Tecmo Bowl 20 years ago...What's funny is if I try to play Temco Bowl today I can't...it doesn't hold my interest for more than 5 minutes, that was my exact feeling when I popped this Madden in my PS3...it lasted about 5 minutes and I couldn't' get it out of my PS3 fast enough. I felt ripped off that I spent $8 at Blockbuster to rent it and I was temped to try and get my money back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »