Home

Tapping the button to run faster for 2010

This is a discussion on Tapping the button to run faster for 2010 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Tapping the button to run faster for 2010

I'm more in favor of tapping a button for breaking tackles, less for running faster.

While analog stick running needs to make a comeback in 2010, I definitely do not want to get rid of turbo all together either.

I'd really like to see it be a true speed "burst", but with proper physics to accellerate to a higher speed for just a couple seconds, then a gradual decrease back to their regular rating speed, once per down. This way you'd have to utilize it wisely, either when hitting the hole or trying to get outside the tackle to turn the corner.

Also, turbo should not cause defenders to shed their blocks any quicker, or make the ball carrier any less effective at breaking tackles.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #26
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34

I would love to see the turbo button go away for good. They took it out of NHL and everyone seems to think that was a good decision. Turbo is a hold over feature from the 8-bit days that has no place in simulation games.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 27

In some ways, Madden is already headed towards the tap. In Madden 09, one of the features of the "Total Control Animation System" is the ability to not only highlight stick out of tackles but also tap out with the 'A' button which I attempt to do a lot and sometimes succeed (but usually fail, lol).

Like Vikes1 and some others have said, it's all about having more choices. People who hate the tap should be able to play without it. Those who like it should have an option to use it. Football games--and definitely in this generation--are far behind other genres in terms of the level of what the user can do to make this game his/her own.

The tap function has been present in different games over the years. A few that come to mind are the Tecmo Bowl Series (Classic)... I believe NFL Gameday had it (Classic). 2K Football (Classic),and recent games like NFL Tour (ummm... okay, not so classic) and we've seen a formation of it in Madden 09 with the TCA system. If you're like me, you probably thought that after all these years a football game would have all kinds of options and customizing choices to keep you involved. I know I sure thought so. Boy, was I wrong... well, there is Maximum Football...
Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 AM   #28
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
I would love to see the turbo button go away for good. They took it out of NHL and everyone seems to think that was a good decision. Turbo is a hold over feature from the 8-bit days that has no place in simulation games.
I don't think it was a good move in NHL because of 2 reasons:

1: there is no true analog speed control
2: most people just push all the way up all the time anyway and there is no negative impact by doing so.

Thus, there is no actual way to tell my guy to sprint all out.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 14

PLEASE NO tapping to run faster ... imo, that would be a horrible addition!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »