Home

Anyone successful running the 3-4 defense?

This is a discussion on Anyone successful running the 3-4 defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Anyone successful running the 3-4 defense?

I was thinking of trying the 3-4 defense just for a change of pace, but after playing around with it during a few test games, it sure doesn't seem as effective as the 4-3. Have any of you been able to successfully run the 3-4 defense over an entire season? If so, any tips on what works as far as Madden is concerned .....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Anyone successful running the 3-4 defense?

Its virtually impossible to have sustained success running the 3-4 defense in Madden '09. At times, it can be effective situationally. But overall, it is way too hard to stop the run & short passing game using the 3-4. At least that has been my experience.

I find myself scratching my head, wondering what calls to call because none of them work verses certain formations or offensive calls. When a guy can lineup and run the same screen play over and over...and it works to perfection...I just shake my head.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9

I can run it masterfully when I'm actually playing, but as far as ANY simulating, no.

I've played two years with the Cowboys, and only played games I needed to win and the playoffs.

DeMarcus ware had 6 sacks through 2 seasons. I got every single one.

The 3rd year I switched to a 4-3 and put Ware/Spencer at ends, with Bradie James in the middle with Kevin Burnett and a 2nd round rookie I drafted as linebackers.

I won 33-3 agasint the Giants and Ware had two sacks.

Moral of story: the 3-4 is useless if you want to sim
Old 11-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballplaya72
I can run it masterfully when I'm actually playing, but as far as ANY simulating, no.

I've played two years with the Cowboys, and only played games I needed to win and the playoffs.

DeMarcus ware had 6 sacks through 2 seasons. I got every single one.

The 3rd year I switched to a 4-3 and put Ware/Spencer at ends, with Bradie James in the middle with Kevin Burnett and a 2nd round rookie I drafted as linebackers.

I won 33-3 agasint the Giants and Ware had two sacks.

Moral of story: the 3-4 is useless if you want to sim
I don't sim at all, but I was wanting to verify you can get some sacks and pressure using the 3-4. I plan to control the SS and let the cpu control the rest. Just got a bit bored of running the 4-3 as it's almost too easy to dominate with, but if the 3-4 is that bad???
Old 11-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
Rookie

USC-Trojans's Arena

OVR: 3

Online it will get destroyed by FB dive'rs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

It`s as good or bad as any other defense. I´m playing with the 49ers and you can beat any team on- or offline. It depends how familiar you are with the 3-4 schemes. On 1st and 2nd down use one of the ends on 3rd down a safety. What really matters is your playcalling. I`m using the 3-4 for 4 years now and it´s really fun to play as long as you know the defense.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I tried the 3-4 once and had no success. I use the Eagles defense and use the Nickel cover 2, the 46 cover 2 and deep blitz, the dime flat cover 3, and the goal line jam middle. That's it. Those are all the defensive plays I ever use and if I use them in the correct situation they work quite well.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Banned

I'm very successful using the 4-3, just looking for a change up to make playing more challenging and fun. I think the 3-4 just might do that. I definitely find it more challenging to shut down the run in a few test games so that should actually add some realism ......

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »