Home

Reading the Defense

This is a discussion on Reading the Defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Reading the Defense

What do you look at after you snap the ball and as the QB drops back? are you looking at the rush, the LBs, or the Safties and what is your read progression? I get sacked way too much in this game and when i go for the quick throw, i throw alot into double coverage. I admit I am not great with the stick so I am hoping to improve my presnap and post snap reads. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Reading the Defense

very good question. when i read a defense, first thing i look at is what kind of formation they have (is it Nickel, Dime, 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, etc) and then if I am running the ball, I will see if it is best. If not, I will audible out or fake audible to trick them so they switch up their defense.

Also: to detemine someone is in zone coverage, motion your wide reciever and see if the defensive back follows you. if not, then it's zone and hot route - do whatever for short yardage. it is man-to-man coverage, then they will follow you. just remember its not going to be easy, so depend on your skill. its a game of chess really

you should go to a library and read books on Quarterback 101 and stuff, gain lots of knowledge.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

You can also tell a lot by looking at the safeties. Typically if the safties line-up close to each other then they are playing zone. If they line-up on the TE then they are usually playing man.

Of course there are a lot more things in real football you can look at that obviously doesn't translate into the game. CB's eyes, and such.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

The easiest way to start reading the defense is to count how many defenders you have in the box. If you donīt know much about the game try too simplify it by playing with 4 or 3 WR. So its easier for you to recognize the defenders in the box. For example, you have 4 WR and 4 defenders lined up near them with an safety on top you know there are only 6 in the box and running should be successful - otherwise throw the ball. To prevent the sack try the slide protection and stay in the pocket, so it will be easier for the lineman to block. Practice your plays against different defenses so you know when they will work and when not (Practice makes perfection). If you get used to the plays, you will know before the snap where you will throw the ball.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

If I've called a passing play...

First I've had to learn to trust my O-line. Normally you have more time than you think to throw. I've had to learn patiences in the pocket, and not panic and throw to my first read.

Also I always leave myself an "out", by having a back running a pattern to the flat. This way if the deeper patterns are covered...I always have an outlet receiver to dump the ball off to. Lastly...I seldom ever pay much attention to the pass rush. I'd rather take a sack than take my eyes off of my receivers, and end up throwing into coverage.

Now I just need to practice what I preach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
If I've called a passing play...

First I've had to learn to trust my O-line. Normally you have more time than you think to throw. I've had to learn patiences in the pocket, and not panic and throw to my first read.

Also I always leave myself an "out", by having a back running a pattern to the flat. This way if the deeper patterns are covered...I always have an outlet receiver to dump the ball off to. Lastly...I seldom ever pay much attention to the pass rush. I'd rather take a sack than take my eyes off of my receivers, and end up throwing into coverage.

Now I just need to practice what I preach.
and u can also have a WR run a drag as a bail out too. Drags work great against zone and against man if its a fast WR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »