Home

Setting some early expectations

This is a discussion on Setting some early expectations within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 52
Setting some early expectations

I've seen this requested a few times (Bezo and LBzrule specifically), but for Madden NFL 2010 we will NOT be adding tiered play-calling for defense. What's the reason? One, it's VERY expensive. It entails re-writing our entire defensive back-end database for play data, re-creating every single defensive play, and likely major overhauls for many sections of AI. It's not that it's extraordinarily hard to do, it's just that it's a massive amount of work that would cause an inordinate amount of bugs. We already have a lot of work ahead of us in terms of general AI, CPU playcalling, etc, and the tiered play-calling just doesn't quite fit in that scope. I realize it's a realism thing - without a doubt. No coach goes out and says "alright boys, let's run Cover 2 Man". But this is one of the many tough concessions you have to make when there are only so many things we can do in a given year.

So being that this is the first bit of 'bad' news - I'm more interested in what functionality you currently feel like you just CAN'T create without that system. What do you find yourself wanting to do that you just can't accomplish with the combination of the current plays + pre-play controls on defense + defensive hot routes when it comes to defensive play calling?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Setting some early expectations

Not quite sure I understand tiered play calling, but I've always found it difficult to double team players. I think it used to be different, but now you have to be controlling your man in order to give him the assignment. I want to say before you could be controlling the MLB and give the safety a double team assignment? Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I've seen this requested a few times (Bezo and LBzrule specifically), but for Madden NFL 2010 we will NOT be adding tiered play-calling for defense. What's the reason? One, it's VERY expensive. It entails re-writing our entire defensive back-end database for play data, re-creating every single defensive play, and likely major overhauls for many sections of AI. It's not that it's extraordinarily hard to do, it's just that it's a massive amount of work that would cause an inordinate amount of bugs. We already have a lot of work ahead of us in terms of general AI, CPU playcalling, etc, and the tiered play-calling just doesn't quite fit in that scope. I realize it's a realism thing - without a doubt. No coach goes out and says "alright boys, let's run Cover 2 Man". But this is one of the many tough concessions you have to make when there are only so many things we can do in a given year.

So being that this is the first bit of 'bad' news - I'm more interested in what functionality you currently feel like you just CAN'T create without that system. What do you find yourself wanting to do that you just can't accomplish with the combination of the current plays + pre-play controls on defense + defensive hot routes when it comes to defensive play calling?

Thanks for the update Ian. I wouldn't necessarily call it "bad news" because there are many things that need to be addressed before that.

Now, when are you going to let me kick your A** in FIFA? I got the A Bell achievment off of Brian because he beat you. Lol.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Thanks for the update Ian. I wouldn't necessarily call it "bad news" because there are many things that need to be addressed before that.

Now, when are you going to let me kick your A** in FIFA? I got the A Bell achievment off of Brian because he beat you. Lol.
Lol - that's awesome - what a great achievement idea.

Once I can pry the controller away from my wife who's been playing Zuma for like 3 days straight, I'll be happy to give you a beatdown in FIFA 09. I am hooked on Dead Space as of now though, and likely buying Gears 2 tomorrow or Monday, so we'd have to squeeze in some time between those two.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Could we get specific DB assignments? I'm sick of my opponent choosing a simple twins WR Strong I formation and it tricking my safety into covering a WR one on one. It'd be nice if I could set it so my #1 corner always lines up on my opponent's #1 WR in man coverage.

Last edited by CW McGraw; 11-08-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

i would just like the abiliy have my # 1 DB lined up across the opposing team's # 1 WR (or whatever WR I choose). So even when the offense does the WR SWAP, my chosen DB would be right there still in front of their assigned WR. This is similar to what 2k5 had.....

....but keep the WR spotlight, love that.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Not quite sure I understand tiered play calling, but I've always found it difficult to double team players. I think it used to be different, but now you have to be controlling your man in order to give him the assignment. I want to say before you could be controlling the MLB and give the safety a double team assignment? Maybe I'm wrong.
Tiered play calling means not just picking a defensive 'play' by itself...you could pick things like the front, blitz, and coverage shell independently. So if you like to run just a generic 3 deep shell, you could call that with every type of blitz up front.

As for double teaming, it is complex. We are actually looking at ways to make that simpler in pre-play. No solutions agreed on yet.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Could we get specific DB assignments? I'm sick of my opponent choosing a simple twins WR Strong I formation and it tricking my safety into covering a WR one on one. It'd be nice if I could set it so my #1 corner always lines up on my opponent's #1 WR in man coverage.
Quote:
i would just like the abiliy have my # 1 DB lined up across the opposing team's # 1 WR (or whatever WR I choose). So even when the offense does the WR SWAP, my chosen DB would be right there still in front of their assigned WR.
I didn't say anything yet about that not being in for 2010.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »