Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #73
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
IAN....buy copy of APF, examine QB and pocket presence, completely emulate everything.

Fixed.
Kinda funny but very true! Was just playing this game tonight cause my madden won't load up anymore for some strange reason. Anyway the QBing in this game is really spot on. Playing this game tonight actually had me thinking of this thread because of the great QB controls in this game. You can let it just drop back for you or you can take control of it earlier. When you cut off the drop back depending on where the controller is going your QB responds accordingly and it takes his attributes into consideration. It really does look like a real QB moving and throwing in the pocket. Very good stuff and worth a look.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:01 AM   #74
Banned

PodSquad's Arena

OVR: 8

Why dont you get an actual pro player? You know, like the way Maurice Edu did Mo-Cap for FIFA 09.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 22

I just wanted to say I'm looking forward to Madden 2010, because Ian cares enough to Listen and all of OS Members giving great responsible Suggestions can't wait
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #76
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I was thinking about a hot route scenario. And I agree, there would be a new, shorter scripted drop back. If Madden can implement that, great.

The difference is that in the NFL, those hot routes are not called out most times. The QB & WR read the blitz on the fly. Even I think it would be a bit much to ask EA to implement that. But that would be cool.

So imagine a scenario where a gamer doesn't have time to call a hot route, sees a blitz and knows he can't protect against it. What does he do? The throw away button doesn't allow you to throw near a WR, another feature I would like added. There has to be some type of improvisation available. Think about all the craziness Favre has pulled over the years. I've seen him QB draw when that obviously wasn't the call. Things like that need to be available.

But like I said, I'm not completely against forcing a full drop back. I would just prefer realistic plants, turns, momentum, ect so gamers don't get an advantage for unrealistic play.

I'd be hard pressed to find footage, but again, I've seen Favre do some things. Another example would be him not handing off on a run play and taking off on an improvised naked boot. He did that on Strahan's record breaking sack some years back. That's not a pass play, but you get my point.

And I've seen QBs do things similar to what LB showed in the 2K vids, except they would throw it away towards a WR. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for EA to add WRs buttons to the throw away feature so we could intentionally over/underthrow a particular WR to avoid an intentional grounding call when in trouble.

These things are quite rare, but why disable the user when you can implement realistic momentum, plants & such and discourage him? In this drop back example, I think it would add some fun to the defensive side of the ball any way. I now I'd get a kick out of showing an all out blitz and forcing my opponent to try something crazy that ends in a sack or throw away.
Haha--great points, bezo. The Favre factor takes things to a whole different level.

You're right about the hot route system in the NFL. The QB knows what the drop and the route are, and in that sense they're pre-scripted, but they're not called. I just don't think Madden can deal with this, as there are troubling variables such as receiver intelligence. Some receivers make the right hot reads and some don't. Same goes for QBs.

I think your larger point is probably the best focus for the team: players need to take actual steps that correlate to their height, weight, speed, and THE GROUND! If that's done, then the game can implement an auto-drop and players can manipulate that manually if they want, but their movements will be subject to the above factors. That would be a huge accomplishment.

And it needs to happen for backs as well as QBs. I remember those ridiculous videos of Adrian Peterson doing a half spin to the right then a spin to the left before his plant foot actually hit the ground, and of course, at full speed with no loss of speed. That just can't happen, at least not without a torsional fracture of the tibia and fibula.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #77
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Wow that dude has an ugly drop back. Get someone else.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #78
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Knox
Wow that dude has an ugly drop back. Get someone else.
lol - what's that old Jon Lovitz SNL bit?

"Acting!"

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #79
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie48
Its ok, but you can tell that he was at one time a QB. I think for college thats what they teach but in the NFL the default it fuid, quick and less erratic than the way he showed. I think Tom Brady has the best drop back as to its very fluid and loose and when hes last foot hits hes straight up and down it perfect posture. Heres a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp5ri...eature=related
Really? I like Peyton's drop better. Faster and better footwork in my opinion.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #80
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Ian,
this has to be redone..
this looks so amateur.. this looks like a high school or college QB.
this is not NCAA, its NFL football.

I don't know one QB in the NFL who drops back like that.
Get a real pro in there to do the motion capture please.

but thanks for sharing this!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »