Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #81
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I think your larger point is probably the best focus for the team: players need to take actual steps that correlate to their height, weight, speed, and THE GROUND! If that's done, then the game can implement an auto-drop and players can manipulate that manually if they want, but their movements will be subject to the above factors. That would be a huge accomplishment.

And it needs to happen for backs as well as QBs. I remember those ridiculous videos of Adrian Peterson doing a half spin to the right then a spin to the left before his plant foot actually hit the ground, and of course, at full speed with no loss of speed. That just can't happen, at least not without a torsional fracture of the tibia and fibula.
!!!

I could do nothing but shake my head watching those Peterson vids.

I think every player on the field should have to adhere to the laws of physics. IMO, this is the most detrimental aspect of the game. Fixing this would fix many problems. The drop back issue is just one example. I believe half of the band-aids EA uses are because of the lack of physics.

Think of what they could do with WR route/quickness ratings for example. Instead of boosting speed ratings of good, but slower WRs, they could give him accurate route running & quickness ratings. Instead of cutting the speed of fast but not so good WRs, they could give him accurate ratings. This would all effect how many prep steps a WR needed to get into a break & how quickly he got out of it. Same for DBs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #82
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Really? I like Peyton's drop better. Faster and better footwork in my opinion.
Yea hes got a great one too. Feet is constantly moving. Tono Romo has great footwork when dropin back. Actually romo and brady are pretty much the exact same. Favre has a free slinger approach to his dropback. He holds the ball out and drives a lot off his back foot
Old 11-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #83
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie48
Yea hes got a great one too. Feet is constantly moving. Tono Romo has great footwork when dropin back. Actually romo and brady are pretty much the exact same. Favre has a free slinger approach to his dropback. He holds the ball out and drives a lot off his back foot
Of course their dropbacks are very similar. Tony Romo apparently watched tape of Tom Brady dropping back and surveying the field all summer long. He was talking to Peter King about it.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 11-14-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #84
Banned

OVR: 25

Look, I need to say a few things about this thread, the topic, and the upcoming release of Madden.

1. QB's drop back a million different ways. Coaches coach/instruct this technique a million different ways. The key thing about the dropback is to keep the ball in a throwable state. So all the ball movement is a huge no no! Without being critical I'd say the guy did a decent job.

But, it doesn't matter anyway. When the defense gets pressure the QBs who try to be all perfect with the drop steps, and perfect with the throw mechanic, and perfect with the footwork....get owned, benched, and cut. Let's not over coach virtual QBs....geez.

2. We need different styles/types of players at every position. C'mon man...short, tall, fat, skinny, quick, slow, fast,
long striding, etc...etc...wheres the variety? I've been saying this for years.

3. It really concerns me when we have to give EA Sports this kind of feedback, its so obvious that I know they know this stuff. Ian, Phil, & the rest of those people they have working on this title are all intelligent and versed individuals who are more than able to deduce these things. I feel like I'm actually being played when they ask us this kind of stuff.

They have a ton of resources, and direct access to NFL players. They dont need me to tell them anything about how to make a great video game, they've been a leader in the gaming industry for decades. So its time to put up or shut up. No more excuses. No more "we didnt have time", or "our development cycle won't allow us to write all that new code", or any of that BS that I've been hearing. F**K DAT! Make the darn game do wat it do...

No excuses damnit.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #85
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Look, I need to say a few things about this thread, the topic, and the upcoming release of Madden.

1. QB's drop back a million different ways. Coaches coach/instruct this technique a million different ways. The key thing about the dropback is to keep the ball in a throwable state. So all the ball movement is a huge no no! Without being critical I'd say the guy did a decent job.

But, it doesn't matter anyway. When the defense gets pressure the QBs who try to be all perfect with the drop steps, and perfect with the throw mechanic, and perfect with the footwork....get owned, benched, and cut. Let's not over coach virtual QBs....geez.

2. We need different styles/types of players at every position. C'mon man...short, tall, fat, skinny, quick, slow, fast,
long striding, etc...etc...wheres the variety? I've been saying this for years.

3. It really concerns me when we have to give EA Sports this kind of feedback, its so obvious that I know they know this stuff. Ian, Phil, & the rest of those people they have working on this title are all intelligent and versed individuals who are more than able to deduce these things. I feel like I'm actually being played when they ask us this kind of stuff.

They have a ton of resources, and direct access to NFL players. They dont need me to tell them anything about how to make a great video game, they've been a leader in the gaming industry for decades. So its time to put up or shut up. No more excuses. No more "we didnt have time", or "our development cycle won't allow us to write all that new code", or any of that BS that I've been hearing. F**K DAT! Make the darn game do wat it do...

No excuses damnit.
I agree with you also. I was going to say the same thing but didnt want to come off too negative because any Interaction from Ian is more than we have had in the past.

As with previous Ian posts, I am sure he will come back and say that this video was just a test run and its not final.

But it sure makes you wonder if these guys really have any clue about football if they need help with a simple drop back animation.

or maybe Ian is just throwing us a bone to make us "seem" like we are involved.. i really dunno

i can tell you one thing.. my expectations of Madden 2010 are VERY low.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #86
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
!!!

I could do nothing but shake my head watching those Peterson vids.

I think every player on the field should have to adhere to the laws of physics. IMO, this is the most detrimental aspect of the game. Fixing this would fix many problems. The drop back issue is just one example. I believe half of the band-aids EA uses are because of the lack of physics.

Think of what they could do with WR route/quickness ratings for example. Instead of boosting speed ratings of good, but slower WRs, they could give him accurate route running & quickness ratings. Instead of cutting the speed of fast but not so good WRs, they could give him accurate ratings. This would all effect how many prep steps a WR needed to get into a break & how quickly he got out of it. Same for DBs.
Yep, I agree 100%. There's no way they can implement this... Let me change that. They're going to get this stuff in, but its going to be more of the same BS they already have. It's going to be unrealistic and won't function the way it should. Why? Because they refuse to change the game from the ground up.

The same way they can't/won't change the defensive play calling to tiered selection because it'll take too much, it'll be the same reasoning for this.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #87
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris luva luva
Yep, I agree 100%. There's no way they can implement this... Let me change that. They're going to get this stuff in, but its going to be more of the same BS they already have. It's going to be unrealistic and won't function the way it should. Why? Because they refuse to change the game from the ground up.

The same way they can't/won't change the defensive play calling to tiered selection because it'll take too much, it'll be the same reasoning for this.
I wish I could remember who said it. It would make it a lot easier to find the quote. It was a while back, but an EA rep said they could EASILY implement realistic momentum. They didn't do it because they felt gamers wouldn't like the lack of responsiveness.

They do have a plant animation for 180 degree changes in direction. I can't imagine it would be that hard to add plants to all quick changes in direction. But I didn't think it would be that hard to add tier play calling for defense either. Who knew?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #88
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
That's what I find amazing about this thread. All any of these devs has to do is either turn on any football game (which they should be doing ANYWAY), look at APF, or even look at last gen Madden or NFL2K5 - all of which had better drop back and throwing animations than any of the Madden next gen games. Any of them. I know Madden/NCAA are in bad shape, but if they need community advice on getting QB drops right... they're in much worse shape than I thought

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »