Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #105
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Read the message again...your feedback is welcome. All feedback is welcome. What isn't cool is people slamming me for actually asking for feedback. It is mind boggling to me that someone would actually say "stop asking us for feedback!" - you probably shouldn't be on these forums if that is your mindset. Why else would I be here?

As to your direct question, you saw through me - no I didn't want that animation in the game. If I wanted it in the game directly, I would have posted "Check out the new dropback animation". Instead I just wanted to see how you guys would react to something like this. I want people to pick it apart...provide suggestions (which tons of people did). That level of interaction is awesome. Guys saying things like "his arms are moving too much", or "it looks ok for shorter players, but get different ones for other guys". I love that stuff. Your feedback (Bezo) has actually been really good.

This is all our game. It's not my game, and I get paid. I see myself as a servant to you all - I want to deliver what you want. Why not consider it our game? You want your feedback to be implemented right? So then it's as much yours as it is mine as it is EA's.

Look Ian, you know I have a great deal of respect for what you and the team does. I have been carrying the torch for community involvment for the sake of working together on common ground for a while now. And to be frank...I do agree that the best way to have an impact on the outcome is to share ideas.

Thats why I built a Madden website with structured ideas, submitted a proposal for commentary, created a message board and a blog, and have tried to give you guys sound feedback when asked.

But, what you are hearing for me right now is my pinned up frustrations..and if you just take a minute to hear me out you'll see what I'm saying makes a lot of sense. Now, I understand that these things will not be done overnight...but Ian they were not all broken overnight either...

1. certainly if we dont offer anything helpful or constructive it won't be of much use, and will likely turn a potentially good thread into a venting session. That is not my goal.

2. All I am saying is, fix it. I'm here to help, whatever I have to do in order to fix it...thats what I'm willing to do.

...but this game is sorely lacking the core fundemental elements of football that make the sport so great. In fact, I'll create another website that is just about football & various aspects of the game that offers ideas and suggestions. I'm doing everything I can as a fan...so when I'm critical it only speaks to how upsetting its been over the last several years to see football gaming suffer so badly.

Last edited by Guillotine 1; 11-14-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #106
Banned

I have set up all night for a week striaght working on things to help EA make Madden better, because I want to help. I'm willing to travel, I've done research, I've watched games and taken notes, recorded my own voice overs for play-by-play ideas...

I'm not even an employee...so when I complain as a fan, consumer, and a football purist I don't take kind to other people saying I'm being critical just to be critical. i have but my money, time, and effort where my mouth is...but I'll fallback.

I'm not trying to start a flame session, no disrespect intented.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #107
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

No people don't need to forget the past failures of Madden that still translate into the games today...and Im all for threads that point them out.

However this thread was created for a specific purpose to improve an area of the game, and we should not let the thread devolve into that conversation.

Moving on....I agree with many of the others that we need to look into getting more then just one default. Also different Qbs will have their footing placed in different ways while under center.

Big Ben for example will almost always have his left foot back while under center:

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #108
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
It's obviously a great feature...something we're actively looking into.
Elusive as always...lol. I'm happy to see the word "actively" in there though
Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #109
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
What would you like me to say here...every single game on the planet has restrictions on what they can do. Only so much work can be done in a given year. Can we get past this and do the best with what we have (which is still going to be a whole hell of a lot)?

P.S. Slightly off topic...how do we get to where I am asking for feedback about a dropback, and it turns into you telling me I have to put in every feature ever requested in the history of the world? I'd rather us not go down that path in every thread.
I think the best way to get honest help from the community Ian is to get certain people from here actively involved instead of openly putting info requesting feeback for everyone to reply whatever they want. I know that you cant designate certain people to give unbiased critique on whatever it is that you want to implement in madden 2010. Just review threads you have started and weed out people that have provided stupid unproductive answers to your posts and assemble like a 15 man team of users in this community who actually contribute. I would definitely think thats the best way to get a productive response to the features and additions to madden 2010.

Back to your dropback: I think branching out of a drop back would be HUGE. Like say your in the middle of a 5 step dropback or even a 7 step. You see a SS blitzing and right away you have to bail out of the pocket. Instead of whats in place now have a mo cap where you either break out the drop back to scramble or if you have bad agility you stumble. Notice the video where vick breaks out immediately:
Here is Vick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXp3AxMehc
Here is tony Romo (The whole video is awesome, specifically @ 3:21 mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0d3...eature=related
Heres a fun video as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVh0n...eature=related

Last edited by wookie48; 11-14-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #110
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...yet another thread where people are starting to complain about EA asking for our feedback. I guess I'll just never understand. No interaction=complaints. Steady interaction=complaints. I had a similar discussion in another thread. I'd ask again here...how can any request for feedback be considered a a negative? I think maybe if people let go of the "it shouldn't have been broken in the first place" mentality, it would be easier to see. I'm as skeptical about Madden's future as anyone, but why not take advantage of the opportunity to provide imput rather than question why it's being requested? Like I said, I guess I'll just never understand.
Speaking for myself, it's not the fact that feedback is requested. Obviously gamers would love to interact with developers on the development of any game, not just Madden. The issue in this instance (for me) is what's being discussed. I haven't read a lot in the forum so I'm sure there have been other things discussed, but the most prevelant things thus far seem to be... a couple celebration animations, and a QB drop animation. And hints at bigger/better things being worked on. I wasn't trying to slam Tiburon on requesting feedback - but feedback for the QB drops? If Ian came in and said "we're looking at implementing various coverage options for certain situations and are trying to think of possible downsides blah blah blah" I don't think you'd see most people speaking negatively about the issue.

But this is the QB drop we're talking about. Not the strategy behind 3-5-7 step drops and the QB/WR interaction, not the strategy behind developing defensive line stunts/offensive line counters... it's a 10+page thread on the QB drop itself. Not multiple dropbacks, just one. And I think the thread contains examples using other games, which I'd think would be more infuriating than anything. That's the videogame equivalent of having a girlfriend that constantly wants you to be more like her old boyfriend lol. Anyone in that situation either needs to step or look at themselves and start asking some serious questions. Again, it's not that gamers don't want to provide feedback - I'm sure people would've loved to have had a big say in any game. But I'm not a developer. And I don't know the conditions they have to work under or the limitations of the technology. Many requests being made may be impractical. One of the first things people jumped on in this thread was "is that the only dropback anim?". And I'm not even sure there's been a definitive yes/no answer. In the end, we're talking about a [seemingly] simple dropback animation, something I wouldn't think would be difficult to implement since it's been done fairly well in the not-so-distant and distant past. Personally I wouldn't think there'd need to be this much dialogue regarding something seemingly routine.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 11-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #111
Banned

go to www.youtube.com and search Madden glitches...lmao

Stop shipping broken games

Stop shipping rushed games

Stop holding back progress for a deadline ($$$)

...and then I'll stop being critical. Until then...kma.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #112
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
go to www.youtube.com and search Madden glitches...lmao

Stop shipping broken games

Stop shipping rushed games

Stop holding back progress for a deadline ($$$)

...and then I'll stop being critical. Until then...kma.
yes sir

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »