Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #137
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I don't think that the guys at EA are asking for us to build the animation because they can't do it themselves or look out there and find visual evidence. I think they are doing this so that we have some input, we can provide our suggestions, we can feel like we're part of the development of Madden 2010. And its also not blowing smoke up our butts either I don't think. We wanted to be involved, so they are involving us, even if right now its for something "basic".

What I still don't understand honestly, is we say that we're excited for the opportunity to interact with the developers, that we want our input/opinions heard, but then we criticize when they ask for it or say, well this is worth asking community feedback for, its simple. Like I said, people complained about how the QB dropped back and offered suggestions. Ian, posted this video to show a drop back and wanted those who weren't satisfied to provide feedback. I don't see whats wrong with that. I mean, if they feel that we think its "beneath" us to provide feedback on this one aspect, what else are they going to feel that its "beneath" us to provide feedback on?

the part I bolded.... you say this but then criticize when they ask for community input on how to better it. I don't understand that. I mean, instead of criticizing them for what they are asking for, why not try and offer your advice? I mean, we all want the best Madden game we can get, right?
Country I respect the heck out of you, and Spank you are on my fav 5 it still amazes
me how I agree with 100% of what you say. I think what Spank is saying is "a QB drop is one of the most basic football things, why are they asking us if this looks ok. They should know this if they have a problem with figuring out how a QB drop is supposed to look then maybe that explains why we have gotten the game we have." CB it would be like me and you as Raider fans G.Knapp coming to us or any other Raider fans and saying "Hey we are thinking about running this pass play you guys think it would work." Spank is basically saying guys its a QB drop for the love of god you should know how a QB drop looks. He and I are in the same boat we just think that the simple stuff should not be made into a big deal, just do it and mention it in passing. And make threads about the "more complex" things.
Hope all this made sense! And Spank sorry for speaking for you buddy and correct me if I am wrong
Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #138
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Isn't the right stick currently used for directing the closest receiver to the QB?
Yep, you're right, my mistake. It's the Playmaker feature. I completely forgot about that.

Let's change the QB Evade to left trigger. I'm almost certain the left trigger is currently non-functional at QB.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #139
Rookie

OVR: 6

I think the drop back you be automatic. But give us the ability to break out of it by pressing the RT.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #140
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabs485
I think the drop back you be automatic. But give us the ability to break out of it by pressing the RT.
Only issue there though, is that the RT causes you to run faster, so you'd wind up in a situation where you'd break out and then run fast for a like a second or two and it might look weird. I think if it just lets us left stick out of it wherever we want it should be OK.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #141
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Country I respect the heck out of you, and Spank you are on my fav 5 it still amazes
me how I agree with 100% of what you say. I think what Spank is saying is "a QB drop is one of the most basic football things, why are they asking us if this looks ok. They should know this if they have a problem with figuring out how a QB drop is supposed to look then maybe that explains why we have gotten the game we have." CB it would be like me and you as Raider fans G.Knapp coming to us or any other Raider fans and saying "Hey we are thinking about running this pass play you guys think it would work." Spank is basically saying guys its a QB drop for the love of god you should know how a QB drop looks. He and I are in the same boat we just think that the simple stuff should not be made into a big deal, just do it and mention it in passing. And make threads about the "more complex" things.
Hope all this made sense! And Spank sorry for speaking for you buddy and correct me if I am wrong
People on this forum complained about the QB dropback animation and wanted it redone. Ian was asking our feedback on something he's captured to see if we liked it. We asked to be involved and kept in the loop. I really don't know what else I need to or should say.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #142
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
I understand what you are saying, but everyone had a different answer. 3 step, 5 step, 7 step, go slower, go faster, do it for taller QB's, shorter QB's, etc...... That explanation would have been alright for an easy straight across the board answer, but that didn't happen.

What might be basic to above average joe football video sim gamer , may not be basic to video game football designers/producers/and programmers.

Plus, Ian stated he wanted to see a plethora of suggestions and that is what he received.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #143
Banned

OVR: 25

Hey Ian a couple of thoughts on the dropsteps:

1. The ball movement is not a good thing.

2. Timing- Some plays require a faster drop, while other plays require the QB to make a slower drop allowing the play to develope before he gets to the 5th step in his drop. So you would want to record the drops at different speeds and assign them to the appropriate defensive reads. (i.e. route kills due to blitzes, or a defender clearing the window that the QB is about to throw into etc..

3. Also, you should mo-cap the forward hitch w/backward lean & backward hitch w/forward lean technique that QB's are taught to use when they need to buy time in the pocket.

Thanks,
Izzy-
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #144
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoiseySoulja
what u talkin about, NFL 2K is true sim
Yea ofcourse.. I was referring to Madden actually. "We will never have a MADDEN game that we can truely call sim."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »