Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulk
So what will happen when I step to the left, or right, or up before he completes his drop? Will it be like in past versions where the QB will get caught up and do a disco spin? Will he throw off his back foot while jumping if I see the slant is open and throw it after 3 steps?
Since this is all hypothetical (i.e. it's not in the game yet), I don't have an answer. What do you think should happen in those cases? Should you even be able to "break out" of the drop with d-pad movement?

Quote:
By the way, much respect. Has this ever been done before? Has any videogame ever given the users the ability to give feedback the way you have this year?
Thanks much. It definitely hasn't been done within EA before...not sure about other games.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Cummings
What do you think should happen in those cases? Should you even be able to "break out" of the drop with d-pad movement?
You should be able to break out of the drop but it should be done realistically. Remove the throwing off his back foot while spinning animation and put in several animations that look realistic. At least thats my suggestion for that.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 24

Looks better. Add a couple other variations based on who is playing QB, but otherwise it's not too bad. Nice work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #12
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

Looks good to me and I'm glad you uploaded the video.

Any future videos planned?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith121212
You should be able to break out of the drop but it should be done realistically. Remove the throwing off his back foot while spinning animation and put in several animations that look realistic. At least thats my suggestion for that.
I like that animation. Just make the throw go somewhere random though.

To the topic: if that new dropback was the standard dropback in Madden, I'd be happy. The way the ball is held by the quarterback in Madden 09 (and all next-gen Maddens, really) is kinda funny.

On the topic of breaking out of the dropback: it should be allowed, but I also think that there needs to be an advantage to using the dropback normally. To bring up an all-too-tired but yet good example, using the predefined pass dropbacks in NFL2K5 and APF2K8, in combination with the routes ran by the receivers in each play, gave the passing game a real sense of rhythm. I don't often get that same sense from Madden (though admittedly there have been a few occasions where I've had that sense occurred in 09, it needs to be more frequent)

Unrelated: I do agree with those above that eventually you all should implement more signature animations, be it dropbacks, tackle-breaking animations, pre-snap routines, etc. etc. if at all possible.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #14
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

If new 3, 5, and 7 step drops are put in place, would we be able to hold the down button until the desired drop was achieved? Right now if we press down the QB starts to run.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Your QB LOOKS like he's acting. He looks like he's making a QB coaching video. The animation is probably OK for the shorter, stiffer QBs at the combine, but not for the rest.

I don't know how you all deal with different heights of players using animations, but maybe get 3 guys to animate... someone 6'0, 6'3 & 6'6. Have them watch film of QBs their height, on site, and mimic them.

But you did say default, so I'm guessing you're planning more any way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 10

Ian

That looked "stiff" his shoulders did not move at all and like LB says its different so that particular animation for say J. Russell would just look wrong. But thanks for doing this now and not when its 2 weeks before game is released. Also just a random thought cant you guys just go to a practice and put all the motion cap equipment on the Qb and do it right on the field with current qbs? Say your in Florida go to a Dolphin, JAGs, or Bucs practice grab one of the Qbs hook him up to equipment and do some drop back and heck while your at it have them throw a couple of passes. Again dont know how feasible this is?

Also Ian why use "stunt men" Take the money you pay them and give it to real local NFL players to come in and do the motion cap. For example I remember a while back dont know which 2k is was 2k2 2k3 or 2k4 but Tyrone Wheatley when he first sign with the Raiders he came into the Electronics store I worked at (really cool guy by the way) we got talking about Madden ironically enough and he told me he was at VC studio the day before doing mo-cap for running animations and he told me he loved it and would have done it for free. Again just wondering but why cant EA do this and not with "former" division 3 players but bring in AP, LT or anyone else to do the Mo-caps.

Last edited by Ram209; 11-11-2008 at 12:14 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »