Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 11
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Exactly like he said, not every QB drops that way. He looks extremely erratic bouncing the ball and especially tight in his stance. I'll bring up David Garrard for this one, in his stance he has his left foot farther back then his right.

Look at the beginning of this clip to see. Also try to pay attention to how the ball is not bouncing like in the MoCap. The MoCap talent looks like an amateur to be honest, lol.
24-8 Madden 12 Record.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #26
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Yep, I would like to see specific QB animations the way, NBA 2K and NBA Live does different shot animations. For instance, this is Jake Delhomme's 5 step drop. He moves his head and shoulders alot and takes long strides back:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b049cf

Kurt Warner is very relaxed and brings the ball very low:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bfc1d5
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #27
Ready to chase #12

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo380
alldue respact, nice try, all i wanna kno is how will it relate to the game engine itself???? f*ck how it looks they should be trying to improve on gameplay imo
p.s. thx to the guy who youtubed the best qb dropping back because if they woulda showed us a vid of him instead then there wouldnt be any argument as to what needed to be improved upon
Improve gameplay?

What the hell do you think they are doing?

Anyways.....

As for the video Ian, it looks good. My question is will there be distinctions between the various QB's? Some are quicker in the drop than others, some take longer strides than others, and some hold the ball differently than others.

Thanks for asking our opinion.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 11-11-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Since this is all hypothetical (i.e. it's not in the game yet), I don't have an answer. What do you think should happen in those cases? Should you even be able to "break out" of the drop with d-pad movement?
You should be able to break out. What should happen depends on which direction you press. If you press up, he should just stop, maybe a slight forward hop. For left or right he should step that way without spinning around. Maybe have an animation where he takes a step that way, then turns (if needed) to start to run.

Quote:
Thanks much. It definitely hasn't been done within EA before...not sure about other games.
Cool to see then. You should keep posting these.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
You should be able to break out. What should happen depends on which direction you press. If you press up, he should just stop, maybe a slight forward hop. For left or right he should step that way without spinning around. Maybe have an animation where he takes a step that way, then turns (if needed) to start to run.

Cool to see then. You should keep posting these.
If you press down to run backwards, he should slip and lose his footing LOL. I kid but I am actually being serious at the same time. Time to put an end to people who just hike and take off running backwards. Make the dude slip and lose his footing.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #30
Pro

OVR: 9

Ian,

I think it needs to be recaptured. It looks very Tom Osbourne 1980's option pass-ish!! That dropback was way to erractic and herky-jerky with the choppy steps and ball movement up and down. He needs to slow down,relax, and smooth it out. When he is dropping back the ball should stay chest level. His first three steps should be long and smooth with the last two steps short and choppy to gather himself. (LBZRule had a nice video from NFL network to illustrate what the drops should look like)

I agree stuntmen of different heights should dropback at different speeds to replicate various stride lengths.

Also, after watching last nights game Shawn Hill was using the old back pedal style dropback to keep his eyes downfield at all times. You may want to look to implement that in the game as well as I have seen a few more QB's use it.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
If you press down to run backwards, he should slip and lose his footing LOL. I kid but I am actually being serious at the same time. Time to put an end to people who just hike and take off running backwards. Make the dude slip and lose his footing.
Well, yeah lol. There should be slip animations anyway, for bad weather games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashad19
Ian,

Also, after watching last nights game Shawn Hill was using the old back pedal style dropback to keep his eyes downfield at all times. You may want to look to implement that in the game as well as I have seen a few more QB's use it.
Now that would be nice. More variety. I don't mind the one here in this video, but not as a GENERAL animation applied to all the QB's in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »