Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #49
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
If a QB anticipates a free blitzer, who's to say he plans on taking the full drop? I just don't like disabling the user. I'm all for forcing the QB to finish the planned drop, but I could see being allowed to break out of it. As long as the physics & animations are realistic, let user do what they want. If EA some how implements realistic prep steps, momentum, physics, ect., and fixes the blocking interaction, users will find that turning & sprinting out of the pocket just doesn't work any more. They'll stop doing it on their own. No need to disable them.

Agreed!

Exactly. QB's aren't tied to dropbacks in real life. They can move whereever they want. It is a good idea? No....because the physics of moving your body in a middle of a drop makes it extremely difficult. Realistic physics will take care of the problem, not "auto" anything.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #50
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

I think the dropback loos good as an option, but I'm not sure as a default. The problem isn't the speed itself, but how the speed translates to Madden. Many have complained Madden seems too fast and I think it's more the sense of seemingly accelerated animation sequences than actual game speed. IMO, the game speed is right, but the animations seem to speed up alarmingly at times. This dropback would appear to feed into that if it's the default. As has been said already, this is fine for some QB's, namely the more mobile or "twitchy" type players, but for the bigger and pocket focused QB it seems to fast. Maybe if you are still thinking of going with some more signature animations you could allieviate them by making them selectable (ala NBA 2K, where the user can change the signature animations for a given player as he/she sees fit).

As for the question of automation or full control some have discussed, IMO, take the "twitch" out of the animation break outs and it solves some of the problem. I'm for full control, but as others have stated, it needs to be within the realm of physical reality. Maybe context senitive motions such as an over dramatic pullback on the stick (or use of sprint as LBZ mentioned) could result in a slip or stumble. Maybe tie it to new and improved scrambling and pocket presence ratings (yes, I'm back on ratings again...lol) that modify the chance for such an occurance. The point is, attack the physics of the pocket movement and then the level of control becomes less problematic.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 11-11-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Exactly. QB's aren't tied to dropbacks in real life. They can move whereever they want.

wrong, they are tied to the drop backs. They have to be to have accurate timing on their recievers routes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #52
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesRunIt
wrong, they are tied to the drop backs. They have to be to have accurate timing on their recievers routes.
lol...that's not being "tied" to them though. They are still free to improvise, slide left/right, backpeddle, step-up, etc. I agree that the dropback being interrupted should reflect broken timing though. The realism of pass rushing effects this of course. Blitz recognition (even by receivers in routes) plays a large role in how and when (or even if) a dropback is interrupted. I'm not suggesting Madden's passing game is advancd enough to reflect this realistically yet (As some have already mentioned in another thread, the QB is currently tie to the receiver first, rather than the actual route), but tying the QB to some type of automated dropback would be very unrealistic IMO.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #53
KnightRaiders

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Not trying to be rude or maybe this was answered already, but what is the difficulty in mo-capping signature dropback animations for each NFL QB?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #54
Ready to chase #12

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesRunIt
ok the bolded part made me laugh out loud.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #55
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Ian

That looked "stiff" his shoulders did not move at all and like LB says its different so that particular animation for say J. Russell would just look wrong. But thanks for doing this now and not when its 2 weeks before game is released. Also just a random thought cant you guys just go to a practice and put all the motion cap equipment on the Qb and do it right on the field with current qbs? Say your in Florida go to a Dolphin, JAGs, or Bucs practice grab one of the Qbs hook him up to equipment and do some drop back and heck while your at it have them throw a couple of passes. Again dont know how feasible this is?

Also Ian why use "stunt men" Take the money you pay them and give it to real local NFL players to come in and do the motion cap. For example I remember a while back dont know which 2k is was 2k2 2k3 or 2k4 but Tyrone Wheatley when he first sign with the Raiders he came into the Electronics store I worked at (really cool guy by the way) we got talking about Madden ironically enough and he told me he was at VC studio the day before doing mo-cap for running animations and he told me he loved it and would have done it for free. Again just wondering but why cant EA do this and not with "former" division 3 players but bring in AP, LT or anyone else to do the Mo-caps.
Ian has addressed this in the past... real pros half-*** the sessions.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 10

I mean ya maybe dont go for say LT, but I bet you A lot of second and third stringers would love to do Mo-cap, epically guys that are on special teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »