Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Madden has too many robotic animations; it's good to see they're spending some time trying to fix the qb dropback....I just hope you guys fix qb throws and follow-throughs as well.....plus it would be nice if players didn't go back to their huddles looking like robots.....
Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #58
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Ian, if you guys keep us this involved with the shaping of this game that is really cool of you and your crew.

The thing that I notice when watching that drop back is not so much the actual drop back but more the pre snap movements. I don't know if those are put in later but there is nothing going on. There is no pointing, no wiping of the hands on the pants or TOWELS, no licking of the hands (alot of QBs do that). It was just walk up and snap. Like I said I don't know when those things are put in but if you really want to bring the QBs to life the pre-snap movements are very important IMO.

The actual drop back didn't look that bad although it looked a bit rushed. Maybe slow it down a tad and make sure it looks smooth and natural. Great thread BTW!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Should you even be able to "break out" of the drop with d-pad movement?
There needs to be the ability to stop the drop back for quick hits. Every week you see goal line plays where the QB just takes the snap and fires to a WR on a quick slant.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 6

I like it but then again I don't care too much about how a QB drops back. But hey he gets cool points for being left handed.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 3

i dont like that dropback it just looks wrong for some reason

and i know this is off topic but watching those other vids the adrian perterson celebration could use some work...it needs more emotion...hes always goin nuts thats just like going through the motions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
If a QB anticipates a free blitzer, who's to say he plans on taking the full drop? I just don't like disabling the user. I'm all for forcing the QB to finish the planned drop, but I could see being allowed to break out of it. As long as the physics & animations are realistic, let user do what they want. If EA some how implements realistic prep steps, momentum, physics, ect., and fixes the blocking interaction, users will find that turning & sprinting out of the pocket just doesn't work any more. They'll stop doing it on their own. No need to disable them.

Agreed!
Good point, bezo. I think a certain degree of improvisation is good, but even in the example you mention, you're likely talking about a hot-route scenario, which changes the rules from one scripted set to another scripted set. The drop gets moved from 5 to 3 or 3 to 1, and the hot WR runs a prearranged route given the coverage. It's still "set" in it's way.

When it comes to "breaking out" of a set drop, I guess I'd just want to see video footage illustrating how NFL QBs do this. The videos LBZ posted didn't really leave any room in a 5 step drop for deciding not to go through with it--it's like trying to stop a golf swing mid-motion.

Valid point, though; these are just my two cents. And thanks to Ian for creating dialogue here--it's really not your job to do this but it's appreciated. For Ian, I think the best possible future for Madden is to ask the question: "how can we make Madden more like real football?" and not "how can we preserve Madden's interpretation of football while adding a bit of realism to it?" You're obviously trying to do the former, but the pursuit of unrealistic amounts of player control over certain movements in the game suggests that the latter question is still operative at some level.

I'm holding out great hope for 2010, though, and am eager to give it a rental and see what you guys get done. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #63
Ready to chase #12

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22
There needs to be the ability to stop the drop back for quick hits. Every week you see goal line plays where the QB just takes the snap and fires to a WR on a quick slant.
I am going to use this post as a piggyback to a question.

Ian, is it possible to in the playcall screen to say how many steps a drop should be for any given play? Say, you are running a quick slant, then it would be a 3 step drop and some plays have 5 and others have 7.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #64
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

IAN....buy copy of APF, examine QB and pocket presence, completely emulate everything.

Fixed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »