Home

Is There ANY Differences In Team Rush Defenses??

This is a discussion on Is There ANY Differences In Team Rush Defenses?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 34
Is There ANY Differences In Team Rush Defenses??

I dusted off Madden again recently after having it on the shelf for about a month and a half, and the thing that is the most stark to me is this:

1) No difference in run defense: Every team, online and off, there is absolutely no difference in the strength of their run defense.

--I can play the run just as well with the Detroit Lions, as I can with the Baltimore Ravens.

This is the 1st thing I noticed after getting used to playing the game again, and fooling around with my LB.

It really doesnt matter at all what the OL-Defensive front 7 matchups are in the least.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Is There ANY Differences In Team Rush Defenses??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I dusted off Madden again recently after having it on the shelf for about a month and a half, and the thing that is the most stark to me is this:

1) No difference in run defense: Every team, online and off, there is absolutely no difference in the strength of their run defense.

--I can play the run just as well with the Detroit Lions, as I can with the Baltimore Ravens.

This is the 1st thing I noticed after getting used to playing the game again, and fooling around with my LB.

It really doesnt matter at all what the OL-Defensive front 7 matchups are in the least.
I gotta Disagree with you there. I find it is much much easier to run on on a 49ers Vs a Ravens team.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I don't find there to be many differences. I played the Bengals and Steelers back to back and both were about the same in run defense AND pass defense. Like I posted in several other threads, where are the personalities? It is a team game, but personalities should stand out like a sore thumb and they do not.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 25

This is a great point by the thread author. I have found the same issue. But, its not just the run defense, its in all three phases. Its all teams. None of them actually play like their real life counter-parts.

The respective units for each team (off., def. sp.) all kinda have the same feel and play caliber...with the occassional exception. I have played with the Cowboys virtually every game I played. But I have played against virtually every team, multiple times...and

I like it the way it is. Here's why. On Sunday, NY ran for about 200 yards on the Ravens...nobody thought that would have happened! Even the most avid Gaints fan would not have thougth the GMen would put up 200+ verses Ray Lewis and the boys on the ground. So, the NFL has a sort of unpredictability to it that Madden needs to account for some way...and if they make they teams rigid in style-of-play then they limit and restrict the game in terms of the various types of results users will get during gameplay.

So, I'd be against EA making teams play a rigid style of football.

Last edited by Guillotine 1; 11-17-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Completely disagree. I play online in a sim league, as well as play my roomate on a regular basis. When he is Dallas, its very tough to get a running game going, especially on the edges, I may get 50 on a good game. When he's his league team New Orleans, I average 80 yards a game on him. And this isn't just here and there, this is over about 15-20 games with each team.

Minnesota - Always tough to run on
Philly - Tough to run on
Cincinatti - Swiss Cheese
Denver - Easy to run on
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

I'll say it this way too. From a different angle. When I have any team in the game and I'm on defense, they all feel the same to me. I can run the same schemes with the same success just so long as I use the speed players.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
This is a great point by the thread author. I have found the same issue. But, its not just the run defense, its in all three phases. Its all teams. None of them actually play like their real life counter-parts.

The respective units for each team (off., def. sp.) all kinda have the same feel and play caliber...with the occassional exception. I have played with the Cowboys virtually every game I played. But I have played against virtually every team, multiple times...and

I like it the way it is. Here's why. On Sunday, NY ran for about 200 yards on the Ravens...nobody thought that would have happened! Even the most avid Gaints fan would not have thougth the GMen would put up 200+ verses Ray Lewis and the boys on the ground. So, the NFL has a sort of unpredictability to it that Madden needs to account for some way...and if they make they teams rigid in style-of-play then they limit and restrict the game in terms of the various types of results users will get during gameplay.

So, I'd be against EA making teams play a rigid style of football.
I agree with this except that outside of the Gmen I wouldn't have any team putting up 200 yards on top defenses. The Ravens have been pretty consistent for 11 years. I do agree there needs to be unpredictablity, but not so much that any team can put up 200 yards on the Ravens/Steelers/Giants ect
Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulk
Completely disagree. I play online in a sim league, as well as play my roomate on a regular basis. When he is Dallas, its very tough to get a running game going, especially on the edges, I may get 50 on a good game. When he's his league team New Orleans, I average 80 yards a game on him. And this isn't just here and there, this is over about 15-20 games with each team.

Minnesota - Always tough to run on
Philly - Tough to run on
Cincinatti - Swiss Cheese
Denver - Easy to run on

I think this speaks to the user ability, and the variety in gameplay. Cause everyone says how hard it is to stop the Cowboys rush attack and some games I get nothing and other games I might break off two or three & finish with 100+ yards.

Again, please consider that fact that my stick skill is pretty average.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »