Home

Gameplay Cut Scenes

This is a discussion on Gameplay Cut Scenes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Gameplay Cut Scenes

How do you guys feel about game play cut scenes? I think they would add a ton of realism to the game. I think I remember Ian said that it was kind of like cheating because it's not played out through game play. These are the situations where IMHO they would add value.

1) Showing Ref's conferring after a questionable call or important decision

2) Pile ups and fumble recoveries

3) First down measurements

4) Refs explaining a call to a coach or explaining the penalty
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Gameplay Cut Scenes

Rashad,

Great ideas... and those are spots where a new playcall screen with a large window would allow all types of scenes to be held from live game to playcall which would add to both presentation and atmosphere.

TV Football broadcasts use what we would call "cutscenes" every game, all game long. I don't want them to necessarily be canned like Madden 06 and 07, but the game camera's should be able to quickly recognize and capture scenarios that would take over the screen. Where Madden 09 failed is in how the camera's picked up moments. You'd make a big play and the camera would start drifting away from the field, or it would take this awful zoomed out shot, or worse this shot where all you see is grass and the one player in this overhead kinda shot. That ain't broadcast quality. Players need to be featured properly by the camera.

I'm not talking about doing it like Madden 06 and 07 where you had cutscenes for guys signaling a first down with their arm. A simple camera switch should be able to capture that in a large shot without it being some canned experience.

I'm talking about like what you pointed out Rashad: important moments and moments that add life to the game. Madden doesn't have them and that's why their is so much negative opinion about the presentation, and also why "beyond broadcast" fell WAY shy.

A mix of what's done in Head Coach (minus the movie-like zooming and background black/white shots of the crowd), 2K5's post play, and the large shots of Madden 09's post play (which we didn't get even close to enough of) and we'd finally have a winner.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 11-16-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashad19
How do you guys feel about game play cut scenes? I think they would add a ton of realism to the game. I think I remember Ian said that it was kind of like cheating because it's not played out through game play. These are the situations where IMHO they would add value.

1) Showing Ref's conferring after a questionable call or important decision

2) Pile ups and fumble recoveries

3) First down measurements

4) Refs explaining a call to a coach or explaining the penalty

I love the idea of cut scenes, but the way it will be done is the important aspect of it to me. I don't want to see cut scenes of REAL games. If they use cut scenes they should be animated. Also, I'd love to see them used in the situations you spoke of.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Rashad,

Great ideas... and those are spots where a new playcall screen with a large window would allow all types of scenes to be held from live game to playcall which would add to both presentation and atmosphere.

TV Football broadcasts use what we would call "cut scenes" every game, all game long. I don't want them to necessarily be canned like Madden 06 and 07, but the game camera's should be able to quickly recognize and capture scenarios that would take over the screen. Where Madden 09 failed is in how the camera's picked up moments. You'd make a big play and the camera would start drifting away from the field, or it would take this awful zoomed out shot, or worse this shot where all you see is grass and the one player in this overhead kinda shot. That ain't broadcast quality. Players need to be featured properly by the camera.

I'm not talking about doing it like Madden 06 and 07 where you had cut scenes for guys signaling a first down with their arm. A simple camera switch should be able to capture that in a large shot without it being some canned experience.

I'm talking about like what you pointed out Rashad: important moments and moments that add life to the game. Madden doesn't have them and that's why their is so much negative opinion about the presentation, and also why "beyond broadcast" fell WAY shy.

A mix of what's done in Head Coach (minus the movie-like zooming and background black/white shots of the crowd), 2K5's post play, and the large shots of Madden 09's post play (which we didn't get even close to enough of) and we'd finally have a winner.
This post sums up what I was getting at. I agree we should be able to capture scenarios through different camera angles and perspectives. A great example was yesterday during the Eagles vs Bengals game. As Cincinnati's kicker lined up for the potential game winning field goal with 7 seconds left they zoomed the camera in on him as he set up. They quickly showed the Bengals on the sideline holding hands looking at the field goal post. At the snap they panned out to show the kick miss wide right and immediately showed the kickers reaction along with the disappointed head coach and sideline players in the background. This is they type of scenarios Madden needs to capture.

Basically they would have to capture players, crowd, and coaches reactions through different angles of the camera!! This would add to the realism factor of the game and really tap into the suspense that occurs during critical moments in a football game.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 16

I like your ideas Rashad. Those cutscenes would add a lot to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDogg09
I like your ideas Rashad. Those cutscenes would add a lot to the game.
Thanks TDogg!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I love the idea of showing in-game cutscenes during the playcalling screen and was even more thrilled when Ian said he agreed with it.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I love the idea of showing in-game cutscenes during the playcalling screen and was even more thrilled when Ian said he agreed with it.
Me too, that's why I whipped up that little mock playcall screen... I'm hoping we can sway them towards that concept. It's pretty much what we've been needing all along in this part of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »