Home

Is There ANY Differences In Team Rush Defenses??

This is a discussion on Is There ANY Differences In Team Rush Defenses?? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: Is There ANY Differences In Team Rush Defenses??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
...I wanted to suggest a few core styles of play (Def.-run stuffer or pass defense. Maybe have another one that is a bend but don't break style. And on offense we could have the same kind of thing where there are three options for the style of offense we'd want to run like a smash mouth, balanced, air-it-out like APF. Obviousely the teams would come defaulted to the style of play they currently deploy. But, thats the only thing I could think of to suggest bro...but I would think EA would do that because APF did used it.

What I would love to see, for a franchise mode..is that they implement some type of team/coaching profile. If I am playing the eagles..have them brign the heat, from all angles, and have them be good at it...if you are playing the colts or the bucs, more zone, tampa-2.

If you are using a team, and arent playing to their strengths, id expect the user to be punished some. If you are playing someone online who is using the bucs, and they are doing things that the bucs arent designed to run, there should be a penalty for that.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
What I would love to see, for a franchise mode..is that they implement some type of team/coaching profile. If I am playing the eagles..have them brign the heat, from all angles, and have them be good at it...if you are playing the colts or the bucs, more zone, tampa-2.

If you are using a team, and arent playing to their strengths, id expect the user to be punished some. If you are playing someone online who is using the bucs, and they are doing things that the bucs arent designed to run, there should be a penalty for that.

Right, right, right...like if we try to make a team run a scheme they don't play then the team would not be good at it for a while until they adjusted to it and we signed or drafted players that fit that scheme...So, in effect there would be like a setback for changing defensive schemes (i.e. more penalties, blown assignments, misalignments...etc..etc...)
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6

Great thread guys.

Makes me want to fire up Madden again and do some simming. In previous Madden's, I used to re-rate all the players because I always thought EA overrated most of the players. Second, do some simming and see if ratings have an effect on rush defense. Maybe adjust DT's strength and Awareness ratings, since weight doesn't make a difference. (not sure if new gen addressed this, I know it didn't matter on the PS2)

If they could, like you said, give each defense their own "likeness" or "character", that would be great. Or, give each team their own system of play, so if you sign or draft a player who doesn't fit in your system, their play will suffer.

Look at the Colts for example. Their run defense is so much better with Bob Sanders in the lineup than without him. Or the Patriots offense isn't as explosive or high scoring without Tom Brady. Or the Chargeres secondary is really being exposed big time without the pass rush of Shawne Merriman. Little things like that would be great.

Has anyone noticed if injuries to key players affects the team play in the game?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMavs20
Great thread guys.

Makes me want to fire up Madden again and do some simming. In previous Madden's, I used to re-rate all the players because I always thought EA overrated most of the players. Second, do some simming and see if ratings have an effect on rush defense. Maybe adjust DT's strength and Awareness ratings, since weight doesn't make a difference. (not sure if new gen addressed this, I know it didn't matter on the PS2)

If they could, like you said, give each defense their own "likeness" or "character", that would be great. Or, give each team their own system of play, so if you sign or draft a player who doesn't fit in your system, their play will suffer.

Look at the Colts for example. Their run defense is so much better with Bob Sanders in the lineup than without him. Or the Patriots offense isn't as explosive or high scoring without Tom Brady. Or the Chargeres secondary is really being exposed big time without the pass rush of Shawne Merriman. Little things like that would be great.

Has anyone noticed if injuries to key players affects the team play in the game?

I have never noticed that in the game. Also, When a player goes out of the game with an injury in the secordary, I'll throw at him but the defender filling in for the injured guy plays just as good or sometimes better than the starter...
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMavs20
since weight doesn't make a difference. (not sure if new gen addressed this, I know it didn't matter on the PS2)
Size and weight still have zero meaning in Madden, just the same old strength score.

What the guys at EA need to do is sit down and look at the playstyle of individual players and teams. For instance Tommie Harris, the DT for the Bears, is NOT a run stopping DT by any stretch of the imagination. But there is no way for the current system to differentiate between a pass rusher and a run stopper. So until they make ratings matter and rate players based on thier style of play we will continue to see these things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I have never noticed that in the game. Also, When a player goes out of the game with an injury in the secordary, I'll throw at him but the defender filling in for the injured guy plays just as good or sometimes better than the starter...
That stinks. Usually, teams will have success throwing the ball at the backups. Look at Dallas in the games they were missing both Adam Jones and Terrence Newman. They couldn't stop anybody. If you look at the worst secondaries in the NFL, they get burned consistantly each week because they just don't have good skill players. Teams like the Lions, Bears, Saints,Chargers. etc..

Also, I wonder how the teams do in Madden who have no pass rush, or very little sacks. Do they rank in the bottom half in pass defense? I look at the 49ers this year, and I think their pass defense is so bad because they have no pash rush. Marc Bulger lit them up yesterday for over 300 yards, even though they got hammered. One definitely affects the other. Last year, the Giants secondary was average, but they rushed the passer so well, they couold cover up their weakness.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #23
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

The game shows very little difference in any aspect, not just running defense. Can you spot a great OL? I can't. A great DL? rarely. Great LB's? every LB is great because the OL usually sucks so bad. Great DB's? they either jump routes without looking or can't cover a fullback, with little inbetween and little concern for who it is. Even good to bad QB's can be hard to differentiate. About the only position I feel that ratings can matter a fair bit is WR, but even then the best will run poor routes that lead to an INT, opting to try and meet the pass at waist height downfield rather than cut off a DB and go up high.

So much for all the stuff about "player ratings mattering a lot more this year" before release. I'm beginning to think the Madden community should stick away from prerelease impressions quite honestly and just stick to talking facts.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 4

interesting post

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »