Home

Accelerated Clock Discussion Revisited...

This is a discussion on Accelerated Clock Discussion Revisited... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Accelerated Clock Discussion Revisited...

I can recall from several months ago a interesting discussion on the functionality of the accelerated clock and whether it should be active during the last few minutes of the game.

Operating under the assumption that accelerated clock will be back in next year, I thought it would be a good idea to get a general feeling of people's opinion on the topic.

So, should the accelerated clock run all game long with the exception of no huddle and/or hurry up offense? Or do you think it should resume deactivating at the two minute mark in the 4th?

I think the accelerated clock should run all game long. We shouldn't use the clock all game long, only to have it to deactivate in the last two mins to give the user a better shot at beating the CPU.

Without accelerated clock not being on in the last two mins, it's not as necessary to spike the ball or run the hurry up offense. Having the accelerated clock run for the duration of the game will keep the realism in tact.

What do you guys think?

Note to Devs--when implementing the Accelerated Clock next year, can it be created to be as seamless as it is in APF 2K8? I enjoy how the clock sort of discreetly speeds up in between plays with no slow down in the action. When using the accelerated clock on the PS2 Maddens, it was like the game would lock up in order to have the clock run down those excess seconds in between plays. It really wrecked the immersion and cohesiveness of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Accelerated Clock Discussion Revisited...

I absolutely agree. Very unrealistic to be able to huddle and call a play faster than running the no-huddle. The accelerated clock would force the player to run the no-huddle and use the sidelines like a real NFL team would do. You could always have the option to turn it off manually any time in game, but for sim players, having it on through the whole game is definitely the way to go.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #3

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

my opinion is that it should run the entire game...to me it defeats the purpose of having it if it gets turned off in the last two minutes...

however, that said, i also am a fan of choice...it would be great if it was an option so people who don't feel this way could turn it off in the final two minutes...

that way everyone would be happy!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

How does speeding up the clock make the game realistic? If anything I'd say it makes it unrealistic. If you want the game to go quicker I say play shorter quarters. I've never understood the need for an accelerated clock. APF 2k8 has it and I always turn it off.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Pro

GoToledo's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
my opinion is that it should run the entire game...to me it defeats the purpose of having it if it gets turned off in the last two minutes...

however, that said, i also am a fan of choice...it would be great if it was an option so people who don't feel this way could turn it off in the final two minutes...

that way everyone would be happy!!!
As usual, you can never go wrong with making it an option so people can do what they want. I agree completely with the OP. The clock should run down consistently at all times. Also, the APF concept for accelerated clock would be so cool to have in Madden (and hopefully NCAA - hint hint) next year.

Sideshow Bob
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
How does speeding up the clock make the game realistic? If anything I'd say it makes it unrealistic. If you want the game to go quicker I say play shorter quarters. I've never understood the need for an accelerated clock. APF 2k8 has it and I always turn it off.
For two reasons:

1) it emulates the huddle that is the time the offense takes to discuss on the next play to execute

2) it emulates the no huddle, because in madden it takes longer to go to the line of scrimmage after pressing the no huddle button (and watch the players realign), rather than rapidly pressing two buttons from the play menu.

While shorter quarters may resolve the first point they cannot make you relive the drama of the dying seconds. In plain English Madden must implement APF acc clock....
Old 11-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

I say if EA would correctly implement this rule:
With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee's signal.

There won't be a need for an accelerated clock..
Old 11-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
I say if EA would correctly implement this rule:
With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee's signal.
Add to that the game & play clock should resume immediately after the whistle is blown instead of after you reach the playcalling screen. Of course the game clock varies by situation (incomplete pass, etc) but the play clock should be moving as soon as the play is over. If this game is going to be as realistic as Ian & Co. say it will be, then they have to get the rules in there.

Also, you'll still need the accelerated clock, regardless if the correct rules are implemented considering it only takes a few seconds to select a play and get to the LOS. Currently in Madden, I find myself at the line with more than 30 seconds left on the play clock.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »