Home

Madden 2010 vs. NCAA 2010 Gameplay

This is a discussion on Madden 2010 vs. NCAA 2010 Gameplay within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden 2010 vs. NCAA 2010 Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
What makes you play NCAA more often currently? Is it just the teams? Dynasty? Or is it something else?
I know you were asking someone else, but I thought I would reply since I am much like that poster, I play NCAA 10x more than Madden usually. I have been playing Madden and NCAA since they first existed (I'm 37). I am also one of those gamers that play my football games strictly in offline Dynasty/Franchise mode against the cpu (I will never play a football game online even if that means not playing football at all). I don't sim at all either.

Back in the early years both games really were the same, it wasn't until the ps2/xbox era that I ever experienced a difference between the two. The single biggest reason I play NCAA more is because I am able to get realistic life like stats when I play the cpu in NCAA with minimal tweaking of sliders. It usually only takes me around 5 games before I have my sliders in NCAA that I want to use. I can with Madden but I usually don't want to put 30 hours into testing sliders before I am able to begin my Franchise.

For me it is all about realistic stats and results and the NCAA series produces that for me better than Madden does. Both I and the cpu should have realistic rushing and passings stats when playing against each other. For example, using the Madden IQ in 09 both I and the cpu will average around 1.5 yards per carry in a game, every game. How in the world does that duplicate what happens in real life on Sundays? I shut off Madden IQ but as we all know 09 didn't have cpu sliders so everything is pretty much dead in the water.

***Disclaimer: NCAA 09 for ps3/360 is not to be included in what I just talked about simply because it was the worst release in the NCAA series IMO (and as I mentioned, I have played them all and still have the original Bill Walsh College Football for the Genesis as a matter of fact LOL).
Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

I should also add that every year I get one impression concerning these two games: it always feels like the NCAA team puts more effort into the offline Dynasty mode than the Madden team puts into it's offline Franchise mode. Madden seems more concerned with the online portion of the game and that is a big turn off for me.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
MVP

baseball88's Arena

OVR: 11

I play Madden more than NCAA. I like player reality looks. Madden has long hair moving and dreadlocks and ponytails in it. If NCAA had more reality looks, I would probably play NCAA more. Also it would be nice to be able imput double number edits for the players in the editor in NCAA.
Is there any chance this can be done for 2010 for NCAA?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
What makes you play NCAA more often currently? Is it just the teams? Dynasty? Or is it something else?
Oniline Dynasty! Online Dynasty! Online Dynasty! I own both Madden and NCAA and I'll tell you, I've played the hell out of NCAA this year. I usually rent NCAA until Madden comes out, but this year I had to go out and buy NCAA after I had bought Madden. I just missed doing the online dynasty so much. Madden is a lot better this year than previous years and you guys are on the right track. I actually prefer Madden's gameplay over NCAA(breakaway tackles are off the chain), but nothing compares to competing head to head with other humans. You don't have to worry about the silly things the CPU does sometimes. If there was some way to do an online franchise that would be the ultimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoToledo

-Third, the atmosphere in NCAA is better and kept my interest longer, especially in the 09 games. This isn't to say that NCAA has great or even good atmosphere - because it doesn't; but it was still better than Madden. Two examples are the stadium sounds (by FAR the most underrated feature of the 09 games IMHO), and the crowd seems to react better to the action on the field than Madden. This makes a big difference to me. I also love home field advantage, but I know and understand why it is not in Madden.
This is very true. When I'm playing a game on NCAA, I turn the surround sound up and I feel part of the game. It actually sounds like there are thousands of fans screaming at the top of their lungs and the first time I heard them all stomping in their seats..... OMG!!! Stadium sounds would be a great addition for Madden. In fact, it'll probably be a better fit in Madden as NFL Stadiums play more types of popular songs. Finally, I DON'T understand why there is no home field advantage in Madden. It doesn't have to be all blown out like in NCAA, but there should be SOME type of advantage. Maybe you could just have it where it's harder to audible to the receivers in a loud stadium(the playoffs maybe?) and the QB has to do a silent count. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have planned for Madden 2010. Hopefully, there'll be reason for me to play that more next year.

Last edited by splff3000; 11-29-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Pro

GoToledo's Arena

OVR: 14

Oh, wow. I can't believe I left out the most important reason I play NCAA more. The only reason I am still playing NCAA now. ONLINE DYNASTY. If Madden had online owner mode or franchises with dynamic attendance and finances, this would really close the gap with me.

Also, better crowd reactions do make a difference. I love being at home pumping up the crowd when you have the other team in a 3rd and long situation, and hearing the crowd get considerably louder. I even miss the shaking screen from last-gen.

Sideshow Bob

Last edited by GoToledo; 11-29-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
What we have been able to do lately though is start separating tuning variables in a lot of our AI modules - and putting them into a tool that allows us to a.) tune them live (no re-boot, no re-compile) and b.) tune them differently for each game. So for example we can now tune things like:
- How much a player's speed rating translates into 'game speed'
- How the ratings determine the outcome of a tackle
- How the ratings determine the outcome of a block
- How much each 'event' fatigues a player
- etc
Very cool...

Now, can we get all this incorporated into extensive Madden sliders for 2010?

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Pro

GoToledo's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
I should also add that every year I get one impression concerning these two games: it always feels like the NCAA team puts more effort into the offline Dynasty mode than the Madden team puts into it's offline Franchise mode. Madden seems more concerned with the online portion of the game and that is a big turn off for me.
I would have to agree with this statement. Aside from online dynasty, I am a strictly offline player (I think we are becoming ignored more and more by EA) and Madden has been very underwhelming when it comes to franchise mode.

Sideshow Bob
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Thanks for the response, Ian!

It's interesting to learn how information is shared, and it's good that the teams remain competitive despite the cooperation. That's healthy for development. I think you should definitely "want to dominate" NCAA Football.

Like a lot of other people, I'm excited about the possibility of an Online Franchise mode. This would be the biggest announcement for Madden 2010 in my opinion, although I hope the development of NFL style online leagues doesn't get put aside for another year. There's room for both. I hope.

See? We just want it all!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »