Home

3 things I'd like to see back from 07 if possible

This is a discussion on 3 things I'd like to see back from 07 if possible within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: 3 things I'd like to see back from 07 if possible

nice displays

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Features are not important, Gameplay is, Madden 07 was a decent game. I could care less about selling hot dogs or lifting weights or running the 40 yard dash. What matters is what happens on the field. After seeing those screen shots of 07 I'm going to go get a used copy today. It will be fun to play with the old rosters. I may pick up 06 as well. You can get both for under $5.00 each.

Did you notice in those pic's Madden 07 had the pads on the players thighs and 09 did not? A small piece of realism left out.
I disagree. Gameplay can be stellar, but if it's poorly presented and features are light, most people won't keep playing (not speaking for you, of course).

Plus, I don't even know how gameplay came into the conversation in this case...lol. Gameplay was NOT better in 07. There were aspects that looked better (individual running styles, 3d grass, etc) but that didn't translate to gameplay. It was a very shallow game, both on and off the field IMO.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

my guess is that a lot from 07 was cut in order to get 09 to 60 FPS

rob peter to pay paul
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 27

^^^ You are correct sir.

I have a question for you (and anyone else who'd like to opine)...

What benefits and what drawbacks do you think have come as a result of Madden going to 60 frames? (detail as much as you can).
Old 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
my guess is that a lot from 07 was cut in order to get 09 to 60 FPS

rob peter to pay paul
True, however.. to you and anyone else, did you really ever notice in 07 that the FPS was 30.. or that the game could have been smoother? Personally, to me, I didn't know what I was missing and I thought the gameplay was buttery smooth. I'm wondering if anyone else was the same way? This is why I'd rather have those graphics in my opinion, the gameplay isn't changed enough for me to take the 60 fps smooth game over a great looking not as smooth game with 30
Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

hmm.....tough to say

i did pose this to Ian & Simon (the animation guru) but haven't heard any feedback but...

just because a game runs at 60fps does an animation still need enough frames to make it appear smooth?

my analogy is this (no, not pizza)....

if i take a jack-o-lantern that's facing me and want to have it spin completely around so at the end of the animation is facing me again i could build that animation with just 4 frames (the first and last frame are at the same point so i just need one position for start/stop)

BUT if i use 60 frames in that animation (even in a 30fps system) i think it will look smoother than the animation with just 5 frames.

so........what if they just added more frames to their animations at 30 fps versus running the whole thing at 60 fps??? but with fewer frames/animation.

I've dabbled in some crude animation stuff and am just wondering
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 27

Nice thoughts guys.

I never cared about 30 frames either and never even thought about it while playing. The only thing that bothered me about Madden 07 was that a lot of long animations had to finish first before I could make another move in situations where in real life I'd be able to make at least a slight body adjustment.

The other problem was that momentum would carry you into things you didn't intend, like out of bounds or into another player... again, all because of the animation set. Frames had nothing to do with this, it was all animation set. But you had a few people on the internet who didn't know better and blamed it all on the framerate.

Since 08, the animation set has been much smoother. I played PS3 Madden 08 and I didn't have any issues with the way animations moved. The only reason I could tell a frame rate difference is because I had the 360 version, but it really didn't even matter.

Madden teamers shouldn't try to make this thing harder on themselves than it already is for something that quite frankly I doubt the majority of people buying this game even care about or would even notice. If the animations still move well and the graphics are the best they can be (and there is no slowdown), no one will care that it's 30 frames. It would be nuts if they were to apply the new graphics ideas they used in 09 to a Madden running at 30. That would be crazy. I hope they're really considering this.

With all that they've learned over the past 4 years, I'd think they have the knowledge now to make a 30 frames Madden run like butter. Heck, tons of movies have been filmed in 24 frames and I don't see people complaining or getting up and walking out of the theater, lol...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 11

Thats the response I was looking for .. IMO 30 frames in this type of game isn't going to make as much an impact as say, a shooter or something where you definetely want 60 frames.. as far as Madden though, extremely smooth gameplay isn't going to change your reaction time or which whole you decide to cut into, because it's just a different game than all of those. I'm wondering if there should be a poll started on 30 frames vs 60 frames with the positives and negatives listed ..?

OH. Forgot to mention in my first post, that I thought the dome lighting (particularly the Vikings dome) as PERFECT, and should be kept in future versions

Last edited by Unforgiven; 12-03-2008 at 12:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »