Home

Ian or Phil - What are your Thoughts on a Play Editor?

This is a discussion on Ian or Phil - What are your Thoughts on a Play Editor? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #41
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Ian or Phil - What are your Thoughts on a Play Editor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
My thought on a play editor is that I love the idea. I actually designed the play editor that was in our PS2 and Xbox products. I had help of course but I owned that one.

Designing a play editor is complicated. Compared to other features, it's actually a very involved process. It's also a HUGE bug generator and play balance concern.

Let me ask this question. Would you rather have a play editor built into the game that basically matches the Head Coach game or would you rather have something on the web, that allowed better control and customization options?

Phil
DO THEEESE NAO!!!!!!!!

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #42
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

At the very least, Madden should allow for custom playbooks online, where you are able to use the plays already on the game to create a playbook for your team. It just creates so much replay value and depth.

Having a custom book allows the player to grow with experience and add or remove plays as their playing style and strategy evolve.

In addition, it's actually a benefit against cheesy play. A lot of times, opponents may find and abuse an exploitable play ... but there is typically a counter to it on the game. The problem is the play which counters the exploit may only be found on a couple of playbooks, and then you are forced to scrap your whole system in order to switch books just for the off chance you may run into some cheese.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #43
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
Having a custom book allows the player to grow with experience and add or remove plays as their playing style and strategy evolve.

Yep. This is important.

I'm now expecting custom playbooks to be in Madden 2010. Yeah, I'm that optimistic.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
At the very least, Madden should allow for custom playbooks online, where you are able to use the plays already on the game to create a playbook for your team. It just creates so much replay value and depth.

In addition, it's actually a benefit against cheesy play. A lot of times, opponents may find and abuse an exploitable play ... but there is typically a counter to it on the game. The problem is the play which counters the exploit may only be found on a couple of playbooks, and then you are forced to scrap your whole system in order to switch books just for the off chance you may run into some cheese.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeharrell
Yes, yes yes. If we can't get a play editor, at LEAST do this.
I have trouble finding a playbook I like because it leaves out another formation that I want. Therefore I'm always torn.
No doubt!!! I am so sick of being forced to use team "x" or team "y" playbook. PLEASE at least give us a custom playbook option in franchise mode!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 23

Like I said earlier, my main problem with the playbook editor on the PS2 version (aside from the lack of depth) was that you could only make a limited number of plays. With the PS3 and Xbox 360 have Hard drives, let us fill our Hard drives with plays if we want.

Last edited by Cryolemon; 12-13-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Because "mine" =/= "main"
Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Phil one thing I would change about the PS2/xbox Editor on defense is I would have the blitzes go into specific gaps. One thing that linebackers and linemen do not do to well in Madden/NCAA is loop and turn on blitzes. For instance if I have DeMarcus Ware lined up outside the Offensive tackle, I want the end next to him to charge straight. I want the NT to influence the Center and charge away from Ware. On the snap I want Ware to take on step forward to influence the tackle, then loop off of the hip of the DE into the A gap.

How would you stop that? This is where the Oline protection call and some animations come into play. You'd have to slide the protection to Ware. The Guard would pick up the DE, but then PASS him to the offensive tackle and then catch Ware's outside shoulder as he is looping inside. From their ratings determine if the Guard can hold the block or Ware breaks the block easily and continues to the QB.

Another thing I would also change about the older one is, I'd like to give certain players auto-motion
Old 12-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #48
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Anyone remember the editor from the FPSFB games, seems to me if you wanted something more complex like that it would have to be web based.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »