Home

Ian, Whats the fate of the rocket catch?

This is a discussion on Ian, Whats the fate of the rocket catch? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
Ian, Whats the fate of the rocket catch?

i have read comments from users here saying the rocket catch(RC) wont be back... i also read comments from you saying the game is taking a direction towards being completely sim... that said, will the RC finally be gone?

I played in a league last year... the guy who won the league was 16-0 and just RC'd all game long. no one could touch him. i played with the same guy in another league... they had a rule where you were NOT allowed to click on to the WR. The guy started out 1-4 and quit the league because he couldnt move the ball at all on offense... i found it interesting that once he was forced to scheme to get WRs open isntead of chucking it up and bailing himself out with the controls, he was ineffective... and i think that s kind of how it should be... i was 9-7 in both leagues... i dont really user catch so it didnt really effect me... while a few people quit cause they demanded user catching, most liked it... there were less 63-17 scores and alot more diversity in plays called.

i guess my point is, i think the community benefits when people are forced to move the ball in a realistic manner (throwing to open recievers, calling the right plays, etc...) and i think it really is detrimental when somone can use an outside element(ability to manipulate the game controller) as a bailout for poor play calling and inability to get WR open.

Last edited by jerseyjay14; 03-25-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Ian, Whats the fate of the rocket catch?

they should just remove that animation and its trigger and rework user catching and DBs.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Rookie

nsilvano21's Arena

OVR: 4

i agree 100%! I play online and in leagues all the time. I can usually shut down guys on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down with my defense when they attempt actual plays (non rocket catch) But then they go for it on like 4th and long and get it with a rocket catch. it is a bailout for poor play calling and the inability to get a WR open. If you perfect the rocket catch, it cant be stopped. How is this football?

now, i know some guys will respond and say it shows off how i user catch blah blah blah it shows off my stick work blah blah blah. Well how about show off your knowledge of football and run actual plays. I can user catch without doing the rocket catch. the rc isnt the only user catch that can be done in the game. so it wouldnt be impossible for EA to take out.

it will be funny to see guys that rely on the rocket catch now for the last couple of years have to actually think up a game scheme if they take it out of Madden 10 and make you actually play football.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsilvano21
i agree 100%! I play online and in leagues all the time. I can usually shut down guys on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down with my defense when they attempt actual plays (non rocket catch) But then they go for it on like 4th and long and get it with a rocket catch. it is a bailout for poor play calling and the inability to get a WR open. If you perfect the rocket catch, it cant be stopped. How is this football?

now, i know some guys will respond and say it shows off how i user catch blah blah blah it shows off my stick work blah blah blah. Well how about show off your knowledge of football and run actual plays. I can user catch without doing the rocket catch. the rc isnt the only user catch that can be done in the game. so it wouldnt be impossible for EA to take out.

it will be funny to see guys that rely on the rocket catch now for the last couple of years have to actually think up a game scheme if they take it out of Madden 10 and make you actually play football.
agreed... also i am aware there are tons of guys who know football AND can rocket catch. but those guys should be good without RC as well then...

the phrase that always bothered me was ".. but ti takes skill to do it" as an excuse as to why rocket catching or the studda step should be allowed/in the game.

who cares how much "skill" it takes if it is overshadowing the football aspect of the game? stick skills should come into play but in a football manner... juking a guy 1 on 1, making a tackle. positioning a defender against a pass.... it shouldnt come into play to interfere with football -- strafe catching, thigna that abuse the ai, rocket catch, etc..
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Rookie

Yes take that glitch out, if I want to use a crutch I'll break a leg.
" Sonny Liston is nothing. The man can't talk. The man can't fight. The man needs to take talking lessons. The man needs to take fighting lessons. And since he's fighting me, he needs falling lessons."

Muhammad Ali...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Rookie

nsilvano21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay14
agreed... also i am aware there are tons of guys who know football AND can rocket catch. but those guys should be good without RC as well then...
yea i agree with you on this. they usually say they do it becuz its the most effective way to move the ball so why not do it.

im sure everyone would agree and say they would rather lose to someone that had an actual game scheme than someone who used rocket catches or abused two or three plays all game to win
Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsilvano21
yea i agree with you on this. they usually say they do it becuz its the most effective way to move the ball so why not do it.

im sure everyone would agree and say they would rather lose to someone that had an actual game scheme than someone who used rocket catches or abused two or three plays all game to win
ill take that a step further, id rather lose to someone who plays a sim style game then beat someone who rocket catches and uses 2 plays
Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Rookie

nsilvano21's Arena

agree lol
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »