Home

This is why nothing will ever change with the Madden series

This is a discussion on This is why nothing will ever change with the Madden series within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #33
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: This is why nothing will ever change with the Madden series

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAROLINA
It seems that Madden only sucks to the "Sim Ballers", but people who are not looking for a "sim experience" are enjoying the game.
Most everyone who I know that plays Madden could care less about season stats being wrong, dl/ol interaction or whatever else we "sim ballers" complain about.
As long as they can play one of their partners online or in the same room head-to-head and have an enjoyable experience that is all that they care about.
Just because we as "sim ballers" are not getting what we think should be in Madden doesn't mean that it sucks.
There is another world out there besides us "sim ballers" who just want to have fun.
That is exactly what my 22 yr old cousin said last August. I said, there is OL/DL, no WR/CB interaction, robo QB, etc.....

His reaction was that "I" was looking too deeply into it and that him and his friends just want to put the disk in and run some plays.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #34
Rookie

BrownsFan72's Arena

OVR: 18

Carolina you are correct....and thats why nothing with EA truely ever changes we are the minority that have problems with the game. I thought the game was fine until I got deeper into the game then I had issues with it and thats why I play the alternative with updated rosters.

Last edited by BrownsFan72; 12-11-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #35
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

You also have to remember that some people play the game for the pure enjoyment of the game. I was one of the people at the EB here in Philly and 12 am. They had a tourney for the people that were there which I won but, I remember saying to myself. "WOW" they finally got it right.

It wasn't until I got home and played the CPU and D.Garrad went 20 - 22, 3 tds, 2 int, 4 sacks that I said to myself WTF just happened. Sim heads want the works were as some people just play (same system user v. user) for bragging rights against others friends.

They don't care that free agents and messed up, or there weren't any cpu sliders, etc... They just want to have fun one on one vs someone next to them. And IMO that's what Madden is. Not saying there aren't things still wrong with it but, IMO the most people don't care.

Look at the amount of people that flood these boards the weeks the game drops and weeks after. Then look at how many Maddens copies are sold. The odds are not in OS favor.

So, does EA really need to fix anything? Every company wants to get better so you cant' say they will never change. But, who are we (OSers) to say the game is bad or good. Were are only a small percentage.

When you understand that,then you will only be 1% of the way to understanding what goes on in a companies mind. You can't please everyone.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

Last edited by DirtyJerz32; 12-10-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
It seems that Madden only sucks to the "Sim Ballers", but people who are not looking for a "sim experience" are enjoying the game.
Most everyone who I know that plays Madden could care less about season stats being wrong, dl/ol interaction or whatever else we "sim ballers" complain about.
As long as they can play one of their partners online or in the same room head-to-head and have an enjoyable experience that is all that they care about.
Just because we as "sim ballers" are not getting what we think should be in Madden doesn't mean that it sucks.
There is another world out there besides us "sim ballers" who just want to have fun.
You're right; the casuals will always outgun the hardcore players. There are simply more of them. I'm not saying that's good or bad, it's just the way it is. For every person who wants insane amounts of realism, there are five high school kids who are content with chucking the ball deep on every play and scoring 50-60 points per game.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
this is understandable.....but what I have a problem with...as well as I'm sure casuals would is simple stuff like getting the rules right.....

I challenge a play that is obvious which you would think the CPU would get right but low and behold it Fks up...... other times like a drive starting in the wrong part of the field... me and my brother had to just start the game over because we didn't know what to do..... catches.......and other simple stuff that even casuals you would think would have a problem with......but this is the only NFL game....so what can you do (as a casual).
Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #38
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Someone posted on page 1 that 09 is an improvement and he correctly pointed out why. He also mentioned that is reasonable to think that 2010 will be improved. I agree.

The problem is that every year the game improves in one area, but something goes wrong in another. For Madden 2009 it's the CPU playcalling AI. It is absolutely atrocious and even Ian admitted that they didn't touch the playcalling logic.

I also agree that the day to day development team (Ian and Phil) truly recognize the issues with the game and would love to see improvement. Two years ago, no one would have dreamed that there would be a day where the developers from EA would visit our forums and ask for feedback in the production process. Not only that, they continue to visit the forums after being ripped apart. Some of it justified, most of it not.

To say that Ian and Phil don't give a *hit and don't recognize the problems are out of line and just flat out wrong. To me, and I may be wrong about the decision making process at EA, the problems come from people way above Ian and Phil. I and P may have great ideas and may have a way to implement all of them but, eventually the decision as to whether or not they get into a game or some silly Ring Point feature does is not their decision.

So, I guess I'm cautiously optimistic about 2010.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #39
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
X-Play on G4TV gave Madden '09 their Sports Game of 2008 award last night. Where is the incentive for EA to change anything about their product when it's still selling like hotcakes and even winning awards from critics?
Madden has it's own appeal to "Madden Ballers" (cheesers) and sells a lot of copies.

The game is boring and just plain bad to me because I want to play something closer to NFL Football.

We'll never know how well a real sim game will sell because EA is either unwilling or incapable of providing one. They choose to cater to ONE market segment and ignore the other segment (albeit smaller) of sim players.

I can only assume that the profit is good enough for them with Madden that they see no need to make a product sim players will like.

They can take a small piece of their astronomical marketing budget for Madden and hire the makers of 2k Football to give us a SECOND NFL game, EA Football 2k10 and see how it sells.

Apparently the bean counters either don't think it's a viable market or for some other reason want to see 2k style football die, I don't know, I'm not on the inside.

What I do know is that to me (subjective, of course) Madden 06, 07, 08, and 09 are BAD games, and I love the NFL with a passion and have TRIED to like the current Maddens, they just don't do it for me.

I'm still having great fun with 2k4, 2k5 and 2k8. Why have the most desirable license in sports and only give us ONE game??
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Someone posted on page 1 that 09 is an improvement and he correctly pointed out why. He also mentioned that is reasonable to think that 2010 will be improved. I agree.

The problem is that every year the game improves in one area, but something goes wrong in another. For Madden 2009 it's the CPU playcalling AI. It is absolutely atrocious and even Ian admitted that they didn't touch the playcalling logic.

I also agree that the day to day development team (Ian and Phil) truly recognize the issues with the game and would love to see improvement. Two years ago, no one would have dreamed that there would be a day where the developers from EA would visit our forums and ask for feedback in the production process. Not only that, they continue to visit the forums after being ripped apart. Some of it justified, most of it not.

To say that Ian and Phil don't give a *hit and don't recognize the problems are out of line and just flat out wrong. To me, and I may be wrong about the decision making process at EA, the problems come from people way above Ian and Phil. I and P may have great ideas and may have a way to implement all of them but, eventually the decision as to whether or not they get into a game or some silly Ring Point feature does is not their decision.

So, I guess I'm cautiously optimistic about 2010.
completely agree with this bold part.... If there was competition, the higher ups would act differently....imo

sometimes I wonder if some of the Tiburon devs sneak in features without letting the higher ups know....

there was this one trick where you could set audibles up on the fly in last gen Madden...by holding L1 or R1 or something like that.... it was very useful (it was also in NFL2k5)...but you would have never knew about it because it was nowhere to found in the manual or guide or help hints in the game itself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »