Home

WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games

This is a discussion on WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games

There is no question that the other game blows Madden out of the water presentation wise.

There are a few points I will point out that I didn't like about it.

1. After a few games, I started pressing the A with the pregame, halftime, and post game because I didn't want to spend over an hour playing a game with a family and kids. If Madden adds more fluff similar to the other game, I would want/need in game saves. As it is, Madden is about an hour.

2. Collingsworth is much better than radio guy ever was. Phil mentioned Hammonds was coming in to straighten out his play by play.(I think that was the terminology used) Again, after awhile, Dan and Peter's voices started grating on me like someone taking their hand and going down the chalkboard.

3. Need sideline reporter. Most announcing teams have a third sideline reporter.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
3. Need sideline reporter. Most announcing teams have a third sideline reporter.
Yep. Even the NBA videogames are doing that now.

If they just changed the language in Ask Madden, they could have a 4 person team. 2 guys in the booth, a guy on the sideline, and John Madden somewhere being able to be called on by the user to analyze a play like Ask Madden except this time he speaks about what he believes is about to happen or the best way the offense should attack the defense and vice versa (from a non-directive standpoint), instead of what's now a thin directive that really takes you out of the broadcast experience (see full details of my idea on this in the Wishlist thread). And all it would take are slight adjustments to his current script.

Simple changes like that would make a huge difference.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #19
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

why cant ian definatively comment on this? Like instead of speculation by us, even if he doesnt give a reason, why not say ESPN broadcast presentation will never be in a madden game?

On a side note, I hope to god either way they do it, espn or their "own version" of a broadcast, they get away from that intro music that they currently have, its been the intro music on the PC for quite a while, they need to come up with something better.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 12

I think they would have to hire the Visual Concepts team to do it - I honestly don't think it's within EA-Tiburon's scope to implement all those nifty details into their own game engine.

I'm not sure the current Madden game engine can support stuff like that as-is.

Last edited by Netherscourge; 12-12-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

You're all wrong, the REAL reason EA doesn't integrate espn presentation into Madden is due to a fear of losing the license. Follow me, lets say they did integrate espn presentation and people got used to it. And then espn doesn't renew the deal when it's up and some competing game gets it. 2k's espn football, even with generic players would be a strong competitor. EA won't integrate because they do not want to become dependant on a license that they don't own (besides the nfl one duh)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #22
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26

This isn't the sort of thing we can comment on because it's out of our control on the game team. I'll just leave it at that.

I will state that a couple of the theories in this thread aren't far off. The closest so far has been a theory from a poster from Newark, DE.

Phil

PS - One final hint. This is a call not made by EA or anyone at EA, but made by another important organization. Meaning...they won't let us...

Last edited by Phil_Frazier; 12-12-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added a hint...
Old 12-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
My thought is that you're incorrect. I've read on more than one occasion that the reason ESPN is not fully integrated into Madden is to kind of peace w/ the NFL. Apparently, if they blow out the ESPN presentation, the NFL and NFL Network will feel slighted and vice versa. That's why I think they try to be generic in their approach instead of going all the way w/ ESPN or the NFL Network theme.
Politics baby politics...you sir are the weiner er winner!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #24
Pro Sports Handicapper

bababooey76's Arena

OVR: 14

ESPN is not necessary. There football studio guys stink anyway besides Ditka and Tom Jackson. A bunch of inarticulate former athletes. I want to see more former coaches in studio shows. They can really break down the game.

Presentation just needs to be integrated into the game. Do and NFL Network style, or just be creative and launch the "EA Sports Network", that could be integrated into all EA Sports games. I actually think that would kind of cool. Have their own studio guys, broadcasters, sideline reporters. Their own style. But definitely build on the presentation ideas I have viewed from 2k5 game. Depth in franchise and presentation is what is going to take the game to the next level. Everyone is calling for it. Gameplay is pretty good, but the CPU sliders need to be put back in as well, along with doing something special with the post season and Super Bowl.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »