Home

To Phil: Message For EA Higher Ups...

This is a discussion on To Phil: Message For EA Higher Ups... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26
Re: To Phil: Message For EA Higher Ups...

Appreciate the note but it isn't this simple. Keep in mind that the Sports label is basically run like a separate company from the Games label. Decisions on how much to invest in one project vs. another haven't traditionally crossed label lines. In most cases, decisions on how much to invest in a particular project are made based on that projects business situation.

Throwing more money (i.e. people) at the game doesn't yield great results either. As Notorious BIG once said... Mo Money Mo Problems. This is 100% true in game development. If you don't believe me, you should read "The Mythical Man Month". The theory is that as N increases (number of people), their actual output decreases due to communication and management issues. Nerdy management stuff I know but that's my job.

To me it's a matter of focus. We need to focus on football. That's it. I feel like we have the right team for that.

Phil
Old 12-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
EA's stock is down to $16.98 today. Sooner or later, the boneheads who decided to over pay for the NFL and ESPN licenses will have to be shown the door.

Great time to buy. Buy low, sell high.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 39

I have nothing to say to Phil's excellent explanation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
Throwing more money (i.e. people) at the game doesn't yield great results either. As Notorious BIG once said... Mo Money Mo Problems. This is 100% true in game development. If you don't believe me, you should read "The Mythical Man Month". The theory is that as N increases (number of people), their actual output decreases due to communication and management issues. Nerdy management stuff I know but that's my job.
It might be "Nerdy management stuff" but it makes sense to me.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
Appreciate the note but it isn't this simple. Keep in mind that the Sports label is basically run like a separate company from the Games label. Decisions on how much to invest in one project vs. another haven't traditionally crossed label lines. In most cases, decisions on how much to invest in a particular project are made based on that projects business situation.

To me it's a matter of focus. We need to focus on football. That's it. I feel like we have the right team for that.

Phil
How many folks on the Madden staff? And how is it broken down? How many work on animations, gameplay, art... however you all break it down?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 38

Gotta love the input these guys put in
Old 12-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Much appreciated Phil, and I expected that it wasn't quite that simple... It's just frustrating that EA has built this empire off it's sports games, but many of them have been subpar as of late.

I do have faith in the team and hope '10 will be a Madden for the ages...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
How many folks on the Madden staff? And how is it broken down? How many work on animations, gameplay, art... however you all break it down?
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give specifics but let's just say we have a healthy team. It's also tricky to answer because we have folks that work on both NCAA and Madden. These are folks that work on assets that are basically shared between the two like animation or art. For example, if we have a guy that can build really cool stadiums, there's no difference betwen college or pro stadiums other than the geometry.

I will break down our basic structure. All of these make up the 'Madden Team.'

Core Team - Focus on UI, features, and online. Thsi team owns the overall design. Myself and Ian are on this team.
Gameplay - Separate group of dudes that focus 100% of their time on gameplay features
Central Art - Artists that work on animations, models, lighting, etc...
QA - duh
Marketing - duh
PR - duh

If you imagine 20 to 30 people per group here outside of marketing and PR, you would be in the ballpark.

Phil

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »