Home

Response from Peter Moore, EA Sports President

This is a discussion on Response from Peter Moore, EA Sports President within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #57
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Response from Peter Moore, EA Sports President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Young_EA
Hi I'm Mike Young. Art Director of Madden NFL. I'll be posting here from now on. Look for me about once a week as we are rather busy working on making the next version of the game truly one you all NEED to have and play. Feel free to shoot me some questions regarding our presentation and graphics.
Nice to see you Mike. Here we go........

Honestly, I only have a few things (for now) that I would like to know about or question and I am not even sure if the last one falls under your umbrella of responsibility....

1) In past versions of Madden there were some very nicely implemented presentation aspects... the next year they were gone? Particulary, (I cannot recall the version) there were individual player in-game stat overlays where the cam would focus on one guy and flash his stats. *poof* it was gone the next year. Was I the only person who enjoyed seeing this? I know that OSers each have things in the past that were presentation oriented that they loved and were then never seen again.

One year there are cheers or boos after draft picks (like the real NFL draft), then they are gone.

2) I know you guys have all been to NFL games. Were the games more like a rock concert in volume, or more like a library? NCAA has very good atmosphere which is one of the reasons that (I personally) play a lot more of NCAA than Madden... When you make a hole in one in Tiger woods golf, the crowd is louder than any stadium in Madden? Why? If you guys as a company truly do strive for realism how can you leave out such a huge aspect of the NFL time and again?

Last edited by arichzona; 12-16-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
Nice to see you Mike. Here we go........

Honestly, I only have a few things (for now) that I would like to know about or question and I am not even sure if the last one falls under your umbrella of responsibility....

1) In past versions of Madden there were some very nicely implemented presentation aspects... the next year they were gone? Particulary, (I cannot recall the version) there were individual player in-game stat overlays where the cam would focus on one guy and flash his stats. *poof* it was gone the next year. Was I the only person who enjoyed seeing this? I know that OSers each have things in the past that were presentation oriented that they loved and were then never seen again.
One year there are cheers or boos (like the real NFL draft), then they are gone.

2) I know you guys have all been to NFL games. Were the games more like a rock concert in volume, or more like a library? NCAA has very good atmosphere which is one of the reasons that (I personally) play a lot more of NCAA than Madden... When you make a hole in one in Tiger woods golf, the crowd is louder than any stadium in Madden? Why? If you guys as a company truly do strive for realism how can you leave out such a huge aspect of the NFL time and again?
Adding onto the subject of things being there and then being gone. I was wondering about the camera angles used in NCAA 07. There were some really cool cameras that were used as the players were coming out of the huddle and walking to the line. They were used way too much in that it was basically every play the same close-up shot of the quarterback, but used sparingly it was pretty impressive looking. This is just one of the things they need to get back into the next version of Madden and NCAA. If I see that same camera angle from behind the line as the players make there way out of the huddle and to the line that I have seen in every madden game since 1997...I am going to go insane.

It is an ok camera for playing the game, but as the players are making there way up to the line mix up the camera angles, do close-ups, stat overlays, etc...I've said it a million times but just watch a broadcast of football and do what they do. They almost always end up with the same camera angle for watching the play, but before the play start we usually get many different camera angles and many different types of shots. This adds so much to the presentation. I can't imagine watching a broadcast of football if they used that far away sideline camera angle that they use for the plays every single time the players made their way from the huddle to the line. It would get very old and very repetitive very quick...just like Madden!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #59
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Welcome aboard Mike, its nice to have you.

Here is my list of things I would love to see, and Im sure were posted before but maybe the more its mentioned it becomes more of a gaurantee. Maybe lol

1.Please bring back all the camera angles from the current Madden to the Next gen madden. I really Miss my far camera Angel.

2.Stadium specific chants, from fans and the Stadium. Like J E T S , Jets , Jets , Jets. The Panthers roar, etc, etc.

3.A halftime Show , and the Play and Player of the Game with videos.

4.The 12th man. Football fans of so involved in the game and make noise for any little thing, plz bring that into the game. You guys know football so I know I dont have to be specific about when they cheer and booo. but this adds alot to the emotion of playing the game. Its add alot.

Thats it for me alot of brothers in here will add some other great ideas.

Take care
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #60
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Hi Benz7524,

I ran into him outside of the office and he didn't have physical copies of the letter, he said he would forward it/them to me when I got back to the office(Monday).

I'm not sure how much detail I can get into other than he thought there were some good points and that the letter(s) was/were well thought out. I don't mean to be evasive but based on Peter's response I'm not really sure that I can elaborate on much. (It's my first post, I don't want to get into too much hot water right off the bat.)

My main point of posting was to reassure you that reaching out to the developers/execs is a great way to influence your favorite game. Regardless of wether it is something small like tuning the number of camera flashes to something bigger. Witness the work Ian and Phil have done.

Thanks Again,

Mike Y
Welcome Mike Y - my first request concerning the graphics is the tint that is put on the games, especially night games and games in the rain. The 'blueish' tint is pretty bad. Specifically, fire up a night game at the Linc with the Eagles in their normal home green jerseys. It makes the colors all off - the frustrating thing is that it looks ok in the replay pane on the play call screen. It just takes you out of the game. I have played with my TV settings until I was blue and it doesn't help.

As for general presentation, I would love to see Terrible Towels and loonies in the Black Hole, hear The Eagles Fight song and E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!!!, Hail to the Redskins, the Ravens band and all of the local color associated with attending an NFL game. If you can't get rights to everything, please, please include Custom Sounds so that we can upload songs and such. Custom Sounds is my favorite part of NCAA.

I would like to see teammates actually celebrate a big play, a few pats on the head or butt. Many lineman follow up to a pile to make sure that no liberties are taken and to help the RB up and pat him on the head, add this. Also for TDs, players don't just do their Hulk Hogan pose as everyone else jogs off the field. Have Brett Favre sprint to the end zone like a wild man, but have Peyton Manning just walk off the field. They are different personalities, different people. Make them different.

I would also like ot see some difference between games and the crowds that attend them. To use the current season as an example - the crowd in Nashville this week against the Steelers should sound different than the crowd at the 49er/Ram game. Also preseason should be different than regular season, and the playoffs should be even moreso.

Give the crowd some personality - here some boos after 4 straight 3-and-out drives. Amp up the sound on 3rd down, however some places should be pretty loud on all defensive downs. However, again, a crowd with a 2-10 team should not be the same as the crowd for a 10-2 team. I go to quite a few games here in Philly, there is a huge difference between games in August and games in December/January. A game against, say Seattle, feels different than a game against the Cowboys or Giants.

Last edited by mdgoalie37; 12-17-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 11
Question Re: Response from Peter Moore, EA Sports President

is mike comming back to respond to this thread????
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #62
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo380
is mike comming back to respond to this thread????
He did say in his original post he would check in here once per week.

Plus, he won't be able to discuss Madden 10 till around the SB. Also, we will get a bit of info then, not a lot. There is still March, April, May, June and July to let us know about features in 10.

Last edited by roadman; 12-18-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #63
Madden NFL Art Director

OVR: 21

Hey gang,

Just wanted to let you know I have read all of your posts and am really excited to be part of the community. As those of you have friend requested me or sent me direct questions know i'll get back to you within a day or so.

I look forward to getting your reactions when we can start sharing details about Madden NFL 10.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Mike Y
Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #64
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Hey gang,

Just wanted to let you know I have read all of your posts and am really excited to be part of the community. As those of you have friend requested me or sent me direct questions know i'll get back to you within a day or so.

I look forward to getting your reactions when we can start sharing details about Madden NFL 10.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Mike Y
thxs for using this forum to help in the developement in Madden. We appreciate it, and cant wait for the news on Madden 2010

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »