Home

Wouldn't it be nice if the important rules made it in the game?

This is a discussion on Wouldn't it be nice if the important rules made it in the game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Rookie

mightyrx's Arena

OVR: 3
Wouldn't it be nice if the important rules made it in the game?

The motto is "EA sports. It's in the game!" but the coin toss and the ensuing decisions aren't there, inelligible receiver downfield isn't there, free kicks, illegal touching of the ball, mulitiple penalties on single plays and ability to challenge SPECIFIC aspects of a play(either spot of ball, catch, fumble, pass beyond line of scrimmage, etc)
I understand it takes time to make the gameplay better and I can deal with that but at least have the rules that govern this game in place and working.
The most important to me is the coin toss.
The visiting team picks heads or tails.
If they win, they pick receive, defend or defer(wait 'till 2nd half to choose).
Then at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, the loser of the coin toss picks whether they want to receive or defend.
Or if the winner defered, then he gets to pick receive or defend.
With that rule alone, how many players would have to change their strategy?
My $.02
Making up Evidence Depending on Information Available
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Wouldn't it be nice if the important rules made it in the game?

Illegal forward pass should be there too.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyrx
The motto is "EA sports. It's in the game!" but the coin toss and the ensuing decisions aren't there, inelligible receiver downfield isn't there, free kicks, illegal touching of the ball, mulitiple penalties on single plays and ability to challenge SPECIFIC aspects of a play(either spot of ball, catch, fumble, pass beyond line of scrimmage, etc)
I understand it takes time to make the gameplay better and I can deal with that but at least have the rules that govern this game in place and working.
The most important to me is the coin toss.
The visiting team picks heads or tails.
If they win, they pick receive, defend or defer(wait 'till 2nd half to choose).
Then at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, the loser of the coin toss picks whether they want to receive or defend.
Or if the winner defered, then he gets to pick receive or defend.
With that rule alone, how many players would have to change their strategy?
My $.02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Illegal forward pass should be there too.

This needs to be moved the 2010 Wish list thread. I've been saying that for years. Not on boards mind you but, I've have been.

The rules of the game should be in place. Maybe not every single rule but, the ones that affect game play should be. Mods can we move this to the wish list thread? JMO

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21

Exactly how do you have the NFL liscense but only replicate part of the NFL.
Illegal use of the Hands, illegal toughing, foward pass, etc. illegal formation
So many rules are missing. Then the challenges are the worst about official ruling. Challenges should be like the other game where you have the option to choose what you want to challenge.
To top it all of this SIM NFL game cant even get The jerseys correct or officials on the field
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

The whole coin toss scenarios have me confused! I never quite understood the whole 'defer' thing.

Nevertheless, the clock rules are a biggie! If the clock functioned as it did in the NFL, the games wouldn't take so long. It's ironic considering Ian started a thread a few months ago asking if we thought the games took too long in the first place . If the real clock rules were in place, we probably wouldn't have had that discussion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #6

LL-Cool-P's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
The whole coin toss scenarios have me confused! I never quite understood the whole 'defer' thing.

Nevertheless, the clock rules are a biggie! If the clock functioned as it did in the NFL, the games wouldn't take so long. It's ironic considering Ian started a thread a few months ago asking if we thought the games took too long in the first place . If the real clock rules were in place, we probably wouldn't have had that discussion.
The coin toss 'defer' relates to the fact that the winning team of the coin toss is choosing to decide whether to receive or kick in the 3rd quarter as opposed to the first quarter. If you're behind or even ahead by half-time, receiving the ball in the 3rd can allow you to build momentum and put up points/play an effective 'field position' game depending on the scenario.

It's a rule that's been used in college 'ball for a while.

Edit: I agree there should be more rules involved in Madden. I'm a sim player, but I don't know how they (EA) can involve what we sim players are screaming out loud for and at the same time appeal to the casual arcade player (which is most likely the majority of players). I think there should be different game modes for Sim and Arcade players - although how difficult/time consuming/costly/resource effective would this be?

- Back like I never left -

Last edited by LL-Cool-P; 12-17-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackEm
I think there should be different game modes for Sim and Arcade players - although how difficult/time consuming/costly/resource effective would this be?

EA should make a game called Madden Arcade. Seriously. Have it be a simplified version of Madden.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #8

LL-Cool-P's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
EA should make a game called Madden Arcade. Seriously. Have it be a simplified version of Madden.
I think it's unfair to force another edition of, basically, the same game upon people. Sliders and customizable options (with default settings such as 'Beginner Arcade', 'Advanced Arcade', 'Casual Sim' and 'Hardcore Sim' for those lazy folk out there) could work.

- Back like I never left -

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »