Home

PS2 Version on PS3: Setting up for HDTV

This is a discussion on PS2 Version on PS3: Setting up for HDTV within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

OVR: 5
PS2 Version on PS3: Setting up for HDTV

Just picked up 09 for the PS2 on several recomendations I heard on this forum. So far the game is great! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun and better gameplay than I have gotten from the 360 version.

My question is, how does one get the most out of the graphics on a PS3?

I recall what my actual PS2 looked like and using the PS2 version in a PS3 seems to result in some pretty shady graphics. The Widescreen looks kinda skewed and the graphics seem a little more blocky than I recall the PS2 having.

Perhaps I am just getting spoiled by the 360 and PS3 but perhaps there are some settings I am not finding?

I have the game set for 4:3 Letterbox and Widescreen cam. PS3 is set for full screen and up conversion.

Anything else I should try?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

Re: PS2 Version on PS3: Setting up for HDTV

So not even a 'you're doing everything possible' or a 'yeah PS2 version really doesn't look good compared to the 360 version'?

I suspect I have got it as good as its goign to get. I have tried several other options
and the graphics are just kinda sad compared to the next gen stuff. Guess its been
long enough that I forgot what a difference there is.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Pro

Wilk5280's Arena

OVR: 11

It's kind of common knowledge that the graphics from last gen can't realy compete with the 360 or PS3. Pretty much the point of having next gen.

Unfortunately the gameplay has suffered significantly in the process.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

I have a PS3.......HDMI.......upscaling on, to 1080p.......PS2 smoothing on......
And, although the closeups and cutaway scenes look okay, the rest looks like a PC with a horrible video card, i.e. the massive jaggies.

So, if you're doing the same, then no, it won't look any better. Remember, this is a PS2 game made for a standard television, not a PS3 High Def game.

Graphically, PS3 Madden 09 blows LG outta the water. But, gameplay wise, LG Madden is more fun, IMHO. We all hope this changes with Madden 10!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

Thanks guys.

Segagendude, that is exactly what I have setup-wise. I am glad to hear it is not just me.
Oh well... gameplay is awesome so I can deal with the graphics.

This goes back to the same question thats been bounced around here for a while... what the hell was EA thinking by creating a whole new engine? Tsk Tsk....
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »